• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Solution / Tutorial for Galaxy S i9000] MTP Application crashing

toureiffel

Lurker
Aug 24, 2010
Many of you have problems with the use of your Samsung Galaxy S phone with tool Samsung Kies.

Here is a video that shows the problem:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe3dj3_samsung-galaxy-s-crash-mtp-applicat_tech

Samsung said the problem comes from the phone.

It's here (french translation) : http://translate.google.fr/translat...terieux-bug-trouve-enfin-une-explication.html

For the phone works with Kies (and remove the MTP application crash), you must simply connect the phone to "USB (mass storage).

Just after, you found and erase all the files more than 16 caracters until Samsung publish a update/fix.

After, Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable and select "Samsung Kies" mode.

If all works, the bug lost... and you can use Kies ! Enjoy ! :D

I hope this tutorial can help you :cool:

Should point out it's more than 16 chars after the last dot. I.e. an extension like "bla.12345678910111213".

But yeah, I found this fix elsewhere, but I can vouch for it :). My MTP app was doing that when trying to connect to Kies. I trawled through the files and deleted all the ones that had stupid extensions. Cleared the caches etc too. And now it works with kies again, and i was able to flash to the new firmware. Which i might add has made a noticeable improvement to lag i think :p

Reactions: Chai99
Upvote 0
how do we know in which path and directory which files to delete ?

can you tell me the exect directory where I should look for these type of file, I do not see it anywhere ... pls help

I wrote a small program in c#, couldnt find out a way to search for long extensions in dos mode :eek:.
Exe is attached. Click the search button and select the SD card or Phone's internal memory , then you will see a list of files with extensions larger than 16 characters. Click on each file entry in the listbox to open the folder location. Hope this helps...

P.S : Needs .Net runtime.

Attachments

• FileSearcherforKiesFix.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 5,952
Upvote 0
I wrote a small program in c#, couldnt find out a way to search for long extensions in dos mode :eek:.
Exe is attached. Click the search button and select the SD card or Phone's internal memory , then you will see a list of files with extensions larger than 16 characters. Click on each file entry in the listbox to open the folder location. Hope this helps...

Haha, I love how somebody else thought to do this :p

Only difference is you actually did, whereas I couldn't be bothered at the time and just searched manually xD

Nice job.

Upvote 0
Haha, I love how somebody else thought to do this :p

Only difference is you actually did, whereas I couldn't be bothered at the time and just searched manually xD

Nice job.
I was already working on something else in visual studio; had the IDE open when I read the post, so I thought why not make a simple tool, its only 4 or 5 lines of code anyways, and I was in the mood to do some more coding ;)
Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered either..

Upvote 0
I had the same problem until I deleted the clockwork recovery mod folder. I used ES file manager to copy all the files in my internal SD to my external SD. I then formatted my internal SD, and moved the folders back one by one until I located the folder that was causing the issue. Took a while, but it was worth the effort.

Upvote 0
I followed the tutorial and used the code you wrote, but I still cannot get connectivity with Kies. MTP Device is still not installing coerrectly either. Any thoughts where to go?

I removed the long named files, reinstalled Kies and nothing. :(

Kies ver 1.5.1.10074_2 (says its the latest version)

You know, now that I think of it, why exactly do I want to connect with Kies? Aside from making the phone do what its supposed to...

Upvote 0
Well, I only bought the galaxy S 3 days ago and Kies runs fine on my laptop but crashes with umpteen errors on my main PC, even without the phone being connected. I've had to delete it as I don't want important work stuff getting trashed by it. Frustrating that I can only sync stuff now on the laptop.

I got the phone as a solution but this has created even more problems for me and my business.

Upvote 0
In my i9000 (DXJF4), there are no file with long extension, but still can't connect to the latest kies 1.5.1.10074_2

My laptop (vista 32-bit, UAC turned off, all Samsung drivers were successfully installed) can detect the phone properly. No errors in Windows' Device Manager. Can connect to the phone using 'USB debug mode on' + 'USB mass storage' and transferring files via Windows' Explorer.

But everytime I connect the phone using USB for Samsung Kies, the phone is going crazy and Kies is trying to "connect to media" for ever... :(

How to upgrade the firmware (or the OS?) if I can't connect to the phone using Kies? I read that upgrading the firmware using Samsung Kies is the easiest way.

Upvote 0
thx 4 sharing tis post~ really usefull 4 who using samsung galaxy s~

oh yes! we are in the same boat :(

so ...

in a windows xp sp3 i installed samsung galaxy usb driver, then i installed kies, but kies dont recognize the smartphone and don't connect it.

i use "reinstall driver" as i found in a forum, to delete samsung usb driver and restore originals driver.

but kies don't recognize the smartphone.

so i use the fix to remove all 16 lenght or more file, and i removed one.

but kies don't recognize the phone.

when i connect smartphone windows xp says that a new MTP device is found ... and found, and found and found, all the time.

so is the mtp device driver the problem ?

my only need is to install froyo . can i install it without use kies ?

Upvote 0

I have recently purchased Samsung Galaxy I 9000 and have problems connecting using my USB cable.

Thank you so much and it worked after running your EXE which helped me cleaning up long extension files.

Many have wrongly guided to reinstall drivers which according to me may not really resolve this particular issue. Hope Samsung fixes this in its next release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones