• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Solution / Tutorial for Galaxy S i9000] MTP Application crashing

Hi all:

I did find some long file names, deleted those, got rid of the flashing mtp error. Thanks to the person who wrote that program. The next problem was KIes is now stuck on connecting to galxay phone (same problem on two different pc's). Left for a half hour, noda, no connection happening. It did connect though with explorer and media player. Long story short, had an extra hard drive quicking around, install windows, installed kies, nothing else, finally it connected and I could do a firm ware upgrade. I think Samsung should include a PC with every phone purchased, LOL. or at least an extra harddrive.

Upvote 0
I've got the problem too. It has worked for me in the past, though before I installed doubletwist (That is all I can think of that changed) I removed 3 files with long extensions, uninstalled and reinstalled Kies, but the MTP Application screen comes and goes forever still. I really want to get this working before Froyo comes out!!

Upvote 0
I wrote a small program in c#, couldnt find out a way to search for long extensions in dos mode :eek:.
Exe is attached. Click the search button and select the SD card or Phone's internal memory , then you will see a list of files with extensions larger than 16 characters. Click on each file entry in the listbox to open the folder location. Hope this helps...

PhoenixFX your Absolutely brilliant! :)
Read everyone's threads - really helpful. Tried the mount / unmount solution which sorted one prob but not my main issue. Tried manual search for long file extensions & deleted but no change. Ran your little search App and found the one file I missed! USB connects and Kies runs PERFECTLY now! :D

Gen info: I got the long file extensions from downloading eBook from eBorders

Cheers

Upvote 0
to all the people having problems with the phone not connecting in kies ,

run kies and in top left corner kies menu run driver recovery , once done exit kies ,

on the phone go to settings,sd card and phone storage unmount the external sd card , then unmount the internal sd card and only format that , if you have anything important on it back it up

in settings menu go to about phone,usb settings and select samsung kies and then exit the menu and reboot the phone

run kies , connect usb cable to the phone , let the drivers install and the phone should now be connected in kies

keep usb connection on phone in samsung kies mode to avoid connection problems in future

i hope this helps

Upvote 0

run kies and in top left corner kies menu run driver recovery , once done exit kies ,

on the phone go to settings,sd card and phone storage unmount the external sd card , then unmount the internal sd card and only format that , if you have anything important on it back it up

in settings menu go to about phone,usb settings and select samsung kies and then exit the menu and reboot the phone

run kies , connect usb cable to the phone , let the drivers install and the phone should now be connected in kies

keep usb connection on phone in samsung kies mode to avoid connection problems in future

i hope this helps

hi, i'm using samsung 9000 by "AT&T" so called Samsung Captivate

i tried disconnecting internal sd card, removing long extension filename, connecting as kies mode, using original driver, using samsung driver ...

nothing to do : i'm not able to connect to kies so i'm not able to install froyo

other help? :-(

thanks ....

Upvote 0
I wrote a small program in c#, couldnt find out a way to search for long extensions in dos mode :eek:.
Exe is attached. Click the search button and select the SD card or Phone's internal memory , then you will see a list of files with extensions larger than 16 characters. Click on each file entry in the listbox to open the folder location. Hope this helps...

P.S : Needs .Net runtime.

this works like a charm! thank you!:)

Upvote 0

I'm f#!king lost.....what the heck is .net runtime? All I'm trying to do with Samsh!t kies is to get the GPS update. I've been wasting almost two hours on my computer trying to get this crap to work so I can simply download the fix for my gps. I'm so close to chucking my phone into oblivion from my deck and going back to a dumb phone. :mad: :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi people, never actually signed up and used a forum before, but I've had a revelation and want to share it with you all! After a frustrating couple of months I've tried connecting my SGS to Kies via XP and Windows 7 and no joy. I finally decided to try and reset to the factory settings, loosing all my apps and data on the internal SD. Low and behold it starts working on Kies with XP! Haven't tried it with windows 7 yet, but I'm hoping it will work. It continued to work as I reinstalled all my applications. still connecting to Kies: great! then I wanted to use Google Navigation and it told me I've got to install Text to Speech app. After this is installed it no longer connects to Kies or mounts in windows at all! Coincidence? After a bit of hunting I used the SGS application manager and found TTS (Text to Speech) running in the background. I used Force stop option in the application info and low and behold Kies connects again! So TTS was the problem for me! I imagine most people with a SGS have installed this, so give this trick a go and maybe it'll help you?!

Upvote 0

Thanks so much... :) .. a real tech!

Upvote 0

i hope this helps

the knowledge of "driver recovery" in kies saved my day and provided me froyo update this morning. Thank you Saj, I was really going insane not being able to connect my i9000 to my pc in any way, not kies nor mass storage. I've tried all sorts of tricks gotten from other forums like installing drivers from 3rd party sites etc...and almost did a factory reset.
The froyo update did not loose my data. All my apps were intact. Settings and home screens were resetted.

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am delighted to say this has worked a treat. I had files in Seesmic (avatar filenames) and some thumbnails which were more than 16 characters.

Thank you for bringing this solution to light and thank you PhoenixFx for your handy little search tool.

I can now happily wait for FroYo to be released for my SGS in Ireland. Or do the registry hack if I get impatient :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones