• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Solution / Tutorial for Galaxy S i9000] MTP Application crashing

I was already working on something else in visual studio; had the IDE open when I read the post, so I thought why not make a simple tool, its only 4 or 5 lines of code anyways, and I was in the mood to do some more coding ;)
Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered either..

Dolphin Browser resulted in the problem. Your little search tool saved many many headaches. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Here is a really simple solution - why don't the genuises at Samsung and Android - just simply fix this problem? My mp3 player, my camera, my GPS, my external hard drives, my memory chips - all connect with absolutly no issues - I just plug them in and guess what - thay ALL work with no issues.

Why in the world won't my Samsung work with my computer? What is wrong with all these people who refuse to provide the proper drivers to make this work? I suspect it's Google/Android and Microsoft refusing to work together?

Upvote 0
i have a problem. ok everytime i plug in my galaxy s into the laptop it says it is conntected on the mtp app but then then on the notification icon on the laptop it says installing device software then a second later it says " device driver software was not installed successfuly" (all the programs are up to date) what do i do??

Upvote 0
I wrote a small program in c#, couldnt find out a way to search for long extensions in dos mode :eek:.
Exe is attached. Click the search button and select the SD card or Phone's internal memory , then you will see a list of files with extensions larger than 16 characters. Click on each file entry in the listbox to open the folder location. Hope this helps...

P.S : Needs .Net runtime.

this is all well and good but cant use if we cant access the phone from mass storage mode only way my laptop has seen my phone is via bluetooth i have tried everything
mount/unmount internal external sd card format /reformat
mass storage/media player/kies/debug modes
all driveers up to date latest kies and tried kies mini
and all combinations

sony vaio
windows 7 ultimate 32bit
samsung galaxy s

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 earlier in July 2010.
By Oct - Nov i heard about the Froyo Update.
So i installed kies, tried to upgrade my firmware and i faced the same problem with the MTP error while in Kies mode. I searched everywhere for a fix but couldnt find one with successful result. I tried removing files with more than 16 char extensions. I tried un-installing and re-installing kies but none of these helped.

Later i learnt that MTP is Media Transfer Protocol which is used by Windows Media Player. My machine has Windows Media Player 10. After Googling around i found out that Media Player 10 has some issue with MTP (sorry if i am mistaken but i read that in some forum).

So i upgraded it to windows media player 11 (took aound 1/2 hr on my machine). And Lo! Surprisingly the MTP driver was recognized and I could see my samsung galaxy s being connected sucessfully. The kies window even showed that an Update is available and i upgraded the firmware to Froyo.

Folks can try this alternative too.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Ok, so i was running 2.1 and i couldn't connect to keis, followed the steps as listed above and bingo, sorted it, upgraded to 2.2 and all was fine. Flashed it with odin to 2.2.1 and it wont connect again.

Tried the long file extention fix but it wont work again. Any ideas??

I am facing the same issue, i have the latest version of KIES and running on froyo 2.2.1, tried all the methods suggested here but none are working for me...
Please help friends ....

Upvote 0
I am facing the same issue, i have the latest version of KIES and running on froyo 2.2.1, tried all the methods suggested here but none are working for me...
Please help friends ....

Well there is an very easy way to fix the connection problem.
Use the driver from Android SDK. they are alot better and they do not fail..

Upvote 0
I wrote a small program in c#, couldnt find out a way to search for long extensions in dos mode :eek:.
Exe is attached. Click the search button and select the SD card or Phone's internal memory , then you will see a list of files with extensions larger than 16 characters. Click on each file entry in the listbox to open the folder location. Hope this helps...

Thank you very much for the application. I found 16+ character extension files in the downloaded data for the game called

Dungeon Defenders: FW Deluxe.

Uninstalled the program, deleted the files and now I can see the phone through Samsung Kies alright.

Just to mention: deleting the Cache files didn't help me at all. Deleting files with the 16 characters after the .dot helped magically.

Thank you again to the developer of this amazing .app that searches for Bugs on Samsung Galaxy S.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much to toureiffel for pointing out the problem and to PhoenixFx for creating such a simple but incredible useful app! I had one long extension file in the seesmic folder, about 3 or 4 dispersed among others and about 900 in the comixology app folder o.o .. Without PhoenixFx app to find them I would've spend centuries!! My phone now conect to Kies and can finally update my Firmware!! =D

A million of thanks again guys!!!

Upvote 0
Samsung should be ashamed for releasing such laughable software. Most of all, Samsung should be ashamed for ignoring the plight of thousands of reported problems related to Kies on hundreds of on-line forums.

I bought Samsung Galaxy S on Thursday and I have been struggling for several hours to connect to my PC. I have tried all possible suggestions posted on this and other forums, yet I cannot connect. I will certainly return this crap phone as it is inadequate to meet my needs. Shame of you Samsung!

Upvote 0
most likely cause is the camera image thumbnails. check DCIM > thumbnails directory for long file names.

if your phone is NOT getting detected in both Kies and/or USB mode during this fix, let me know...most probably you can STILL browse files using USB debugging mode :)

try this, WORKS FOR ME:D:

-Close Kies on PC
-Connect the phone to PC / Laptop & Select Mass Storage Mode.
-Select the USB icon from the Notification section in Samsung Galaxy S to Mount the drive.
-You should now see Phone

Upvote 0
I hope somebody can help out here...I would love to update to Froyo but can't for the life of me get my Galaxy S to connect to Kies. Note -- it connects to my PC fine in "mass storage mode."

I've installed the latest version of Kies (2.0.1.11053_99) on my Windows XP SP-3 machine. When I try to connect the phone in Kies mode I get the flashing MTP error that has been reported by so many others, while the "connecting" spinner thingie in Kies just spins and spins...until I get so annoyed I finally give up.

I tried downloading and running the helpful little file searcher app recommended here, but only get error messages when I try to run it. My Microsoft .NET is version 3.5-something-or-other -- does that need to be updated to run the little app?

In the meantime, I've searched manually for long file extensions (in Windows Explorer) and deleted the few that were found (image thumbnails just as others have reported).

I've also tried unmounting the external AND internal SD cards before connecting. No luck.

I've also tried running the "update drivers" thingie in Kies, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas what I can try next? I am so frustrated by these problems -- it should not be so freaking complicated just to connect my darn phone to the PC to update the software! Arrgh! Sorry, had to vent a bit!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Upvote 0

Worked a treat thank you so much!!! You saved me from having to send the phone back to be fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones