[Solved] Is Android Marketplace access tied to carrier contract ?

1. BPrince

BPrince New Member

Question for all you smart people. I decide to go purchase an $800 Xoom and activate a $20 Verizon 3g service. I now have access to the Google Android Market. 30 days later I decide I don't need the cellular access, and that wifi will fulfill my every need. I proceed to cancel my service.

I then decide to peruse and purchase another app from the marketplace, so I fire up the wifi and run the marketplace app.

Will I be greeted with a message saying, "unable to contact to the server", courtesy of Verizon for not continuing on with an unnecessary service plan ? Or will I still be able to access the market ?

Thanks for any advise I can receive on this.

Advertisement
    :
  2. railrode1

railrode1 Active Member

I can access the market on my Droid in wifi only mode. I'm sure you can and if not, there would be a bunch of hype on here about it. Then again, the xoom is all new with maybe new rules. We'll just have to wait and see..
  3. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Yes you will be able to to connect to Android Market via wifi only. I do it all the time with my Incredible. In fact, I RARELY use 3G at all, less than 1GB/month. Also, don't forget NOW you can go directly to Android Market from any web page and install apps to your device.
    marctronixx likes this.
  4. BPrince

BPrince New Member

So we're all assuming that after someone cancels the 3g contract, that I'll still be able to connect to the android marketplace via wifi. Cool. Thanks for your input, and if anyone has any experiences to the contrary, please let me know !