• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [SOLVED-ish] Phone Is Wonky After Google Street View Split

sardonicus87

Dec 16, 2014
Google split Street View from Maps and made it into its own app. I never used "street view" from within Google Maps, but anyway, it wanted me to update that so I did, and they basically turned "Street View" into a social networking type of garbage. So I disabled it, but my phone was running stupidly slow (since updating that street view, before wiping the chache and after a restart before wiping the cache) so I shut it down and then booted into recovery to wipe the cache partition. Since then, my phone no longer smoothly opens apps or smoothly flips views (like a smooth transition), it just goes from one directly to the other. I even tried restarting and it still is doing that.

Now, there's still a smooth transition when I open my app tray, but not when opening an app or changing the orientation.

Also, after wiping the cache partition and restarting, it runs smooth (as in apps load with the normal speed and don't lock up), just those smooth transition animations are gone.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon), latest build (and yes, I double checked), stock ROM, not Rooted.

Actually, I figured out what happened. SOMEHOW, developer options were turned on? I don't know if they were on before the update or not, but I turned them off and that fixed tthe problem.

And all they did was push a Street Views update because they separated it from Maps. I didn't choose it, it just came up as an update separate from Maps.

Also, Streetview seems TOTALLY pointless to me.

Upvote 0
OK, update...

I don't know how or why, but developer options keep turning on, seemingly by themselves.

Whenever they come on, the wonky stuff happens. However, in the past (to the best of my knowledge), turning them on did not make the app opening smoothness animations go all wonky and not work.

Any idea why dev options keep turning on and/or how to get the transition smoothing animations working when dev options are turned on?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones