SOLVED - Missing WiMax Keys - Update First Post

1. v01rider

v01rider Well-Known Member

UPDATE 3-5-11:
    After loosing my wimax keys, I now have them back. Well.....not my original keys, but I now have 4G.

This could be a possible fix for those that have lost theirs.

I had the opportunity to get my dad's broken EVO before he sent it back to Sprint from claiming it on insurance. I rooted his phone using xda-developers - View Single Post - How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!). I then created a nandroid. From the nandroid I was able to steal his keys!!! I then downgraded my phone to match his phone after rooting, which was 1.47.651.1 by flashing xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] OTA 1.47.651.1 Rooted - De-odex'd version now up..... I took the broken EVO nandroid out of the HT05******* folder and put it in my HT05***** folder. Booted into recovery and did a restore. I was very excited to see that it was at least able to restore the broken EVO's nandroid. I then corrected my Wimax MAC address by xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] Bad WiMax MAC? Broken 4G after update? Fix HERE!. I now have 4G connectivity again!

It might be possible to scan ebay for broken EVO's. Then do the above method to get the Wimax/RSA keys and put them on your phone. Yes, in my case, I may have 4G connectivity problems in the future since the broken EVO was mailed back to Sprint. BUT, if you find an EVO on ebay and do this method, you should be good because you would still have the broken EVO.

Take this for what its worth. This was just my way of solving my lost Wimax/RSA keys.

My EVO connected to 4G
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/261080-solved-missing-wimax-keys-3.html#post2384668

==========================================================================

so i have been running CM6 for a while now. i live in a 4g dead zone, but i have wifi at home. when i got out, usually the places have free wifi. some dont and i miss having 4g. but i look on the positive side that i am not on sense!

after the cm6.1.2 wimax alpha release i became excited again as well as other CM'ers. i figured my keys were fine this entire time because i have rooted as instructed by toast. i recently updated my hboot and RMA. of course i did a nandroid before i did.

i decide to load cm6.1.2 wimax alpha 2. i have tried 4g at home and still cant get it. ive tried in places in the dallas area that i know have 4g and i still cant connect. ie scanning, connecting, scanning......

guess its time to check my keys.

adb shell
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA

returned output show appear as this:
    # cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | busybox grep RSA
    cat mtd0 | busybox grep RSA
    RSA-REQUEST
    RSA-REPLY
    RSA-REJECT
    RSA-ACK
    RSA-1024
    RSA-REQUEST
    RSA-REPLY
    RSA-REJECT
    RSA-ACK
    RSA-1024
    RSA
    ReRSA
    RSA requests
    RSA replies
    #
    i did NOT see -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

sed -n '/BEGIN CERTIFICATE/,$p' /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/rsa_OEM.key
    rsa_OEM.key = 0k

[​IMG]

ok, where did i loose them? hmmmmmm. i have flashed and nandroid'd so many times since ive rooted i cant even count. when froyo came out, i dumped my all 2.1 nandroids. haha, bad bad mistake. i should have known to never delete backups of anything. i just downloaded/installed file scavenger v3.2 from download.com to see if i could recover my old nandroids. the good news is, it has found old nandroids from 9-3-10. bad news is, i have to pay $50 for a serial number for file scavenger before i can restore them. once i do that, i will have to flash each nandroid and check to see if keys are there.

once, and if, i find the nandroid with the keys, how do i get em back onto cm6.1.2?

Advertisement
    Mr. Ed likes this.
  2. v01rider

noting some research......

Wana see something neat (whether your nandroids have a copy of your RSA keys) do:
    #grep RSA /sdcard/nandroid/HT065HL*****/(NAME OF NANDROID)/wimax.img
    Substitute the name of your nandroid back up file for: NAME OF NANDROID.
    That shows whether your RSA keys are currently backed up, by RA's recovery only at this time.

/dev/mtd/mtd0 is where the wimax image is stored.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=829045&highlight=verify+keys

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10404271&postcount=2992

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10404770&postcount=2993
    stevcha, ceabbott2, ocnbrze and 2 others like this.
  3. v01rider

update: i have restored 5.47gig worth of nandroid backups using file scavenger v3.2. they are now backed up to an sd!
  4. v01rider

my current nandroid is 405mb. i found a nandroid from 9-2010 that is 608mb. i bet it sense, but most importantly i hope it has my wimax. its coping to my nandroid folder now, will restore soon.
  5. v01rider

unable to restore from old nandroid probably because i updated my hboot. :( trying something else.
  6. v01rider

7. v01rider

wimax key checker says no :(

sed -n '/BEGIN CERTIFICATE/,$p' /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/rsa_OEM.key
    rsa_OEM.key = still 0k :(
  8. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

What recovery do you use, and what version were all your nandroid backups made with?
  9. v01rider

10. akazabam

Nandroid backups (made in RA, at least) are backwards compatible. So, if you made a backup on 1.8.0 (which is what I assume you meant), then upgraded to 2.2.1, the backups would still work. As you said yourself, though, they aren't going to work if you upgraded your hboot version. Assuming all else you've said in this thread still applies, I'm afraid just downgrading RA isn't going to help.
  11. v01rider

yep. its looking like its an hboot issue. :( why o why do i always have to have the latest upgrades....lol
  12. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

lol why would you update your Hboot? there is no benefit in this except the number is higher :/

if you can't get it to restore your only option is going to be to unroot and use warranty if you have any on the device unfortunately, i don't believe there is a way to regenerate the keys if you loose them for good :(
  13. v01rider

covert...thinking that might be my only option. i dont need 4g that bad to pay 100 bucks! hahaha
  14. v01rider

so i took the only wimax.img i could find from old nandroids and stuck it into a more recent CM nandroid.

Code (Text):
    2. Restore BCDS-20110114-0431 ?
    3. Press Power to confirm,
    4. any other key to abort.
    5. Restoring : .
    6. nandroid-mobile v2.2.1
    7. Searching for backup directories, matching BCDS-20110114-0431, to delete or restore
    8. or compress
    10. Looking for the latest backup, will display other choices!
    12. Default backup is the latest: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/BCDS-20110114-0431
    13. Other available backups are:
    15. Using G1 keyboard, enter a unique name substring to change it and <CR>
    16. or just <CR> to accept: Accepting default.
    17. Restore path: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/BCDS-20110114-0431
    18. Verifying backup images...
    19. .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................boot.img: OK
    20. cache.img: OK
    21. data.img: OK
    22. system.img: OK
    23. wimax.img: FAILED
    24. md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 5 computed checksums did NOT match
    25. Error: md5sum mismatch, aborting
    27. Oops... something went wrong!
    28. Please check the recovery log!
    29. I:Set boot command ""
    30. I:Set boot command ""
    31. I:Set boot command ""
    32. Move recovery.log to SD
    33. Press Power to confirm,
    34. any other key to abort.
    35. Moving : .unmounting /system
    36. unmounting /sdcard
    37. unmounting /data
    it didnt like that so much....puked at verifing the old wimax.img.

it was 3am and i was tired and needed to get up at 730a for class. im at school now. i will try putting my wimax.img in the stock odex rooted froyo that i have and see what happens. there has got to be some way to restore it.

since im on a higher hboot, i cant flash image in fastboot. :/
  15. v01rider

i tried to restore the only nandroid that has a wimax.img file.

Code (Text):
    2. Restore BCDS-20100904-0405 ?
    3. Press Power to confirm,
    4. any other key to abort.
    5. Restoring : .
    6. nandroid-mobile v2.2.1
    7. Searching for backup directories, matching BCDS-20100904-0405, to delete or restore
    8. or compress
    10. Looking for the latest backup, will display other choices!
    12. Default backup is the latest: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/BCDS-20100904-0405
    13. Other available backups are:
    15. Using G1 keyboard, enter a unique name substring to change it and <CR>
    16. or just <CR> to accept: Accepting default.
    17. Restore path: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/BCDS-20100904-0405
    18. .............error: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/BCDS-20100904-0405/nandroid.md5 not found, cannot verify backup data
    20. Oops... something went wrong!
    21. Please check the recovery log!
    22. I:Set boot command ""
    23. I:Set boot command ""
    24. I:Set boot command

i have noticed that some nandroids have BCDS and older ones w/o wimax.img file are BDS. anyone now why?

using rootexplorer....i do not have /dev/mtd/mtd0. i do have /dev/mtd. ive tried both CM and stock rooted odex sense rom.

im wondering about unrooting with Download: RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.1 and trying all over again.

i may call sprint cs and see what they say....hahahaa....i need a good laugh for my troubles!
  16. v01rider

i just tried only trying to restore the wimax.img per pervious research and it didnt work either.

Code (Text):
    2. I:Set boot command ""
    3. Restore RSA-PR-BACKUP ?
    4. Press Power to confirm,
    5. any other key to abort.
    6. Restoring : .
    7. nandroid-mobile v2.2.1
    8. Searching for backup directories, matching RSA-PR-BACKUP, to delete or restore
    9. or compress
    11. Looking for the latest backup, will display other choices!
    13. Default backup is the latest: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/RSA-PR-BACKUP
    14. Other available backups are:
    16. Using G1 keyboard, enter a unique name substring to change it and <CR>
    17. or just <CR> to accept: Accepting default.
    18. Restore path: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/RSA-PR-BACKUP
    19. ..................................error: /sdcard/nandroid/HT05FHL00377/RSA-PR-BACKUP/nandroid.md5 not found, cannot verify backup data
    21. Oops... something went wrong!
    22. Please check the recovery log!
    23. I:Set boot command ""
    24. I:Set boot command ""
    25. I:Set boot command ""
    26. Move recovery.log to SD
    27. Press Power to confirm,
    28. any other key to abort.
    29. Moving : .unmounting /system
    30. unmounting /sdcard
    31. unmounting /data
  17. akazabam

Yeah, you're going to keep getting errors like that. It'll fail in one way or another, mostly due to md5 match errors. What is your current hboot version? You have an older Evo, right? I have an idea.

EDIT: Oh, and what hboot version did you have when you made these nandroid backups?
  18. v01rider

Mr. Ed likes this.
  19. akazabam

20. v01rider

21. akazabam

Excellent :). You did exactly what I was going to suggest. Try to restore your nandroid backups now. You have a much better chance that it will work now.
  22. v01rider

now that im on .76 hboot i tried a nandroid. still error'd out. now its got to be nandroids from android 2.1.
  23. akazabam

I see. Well the next part of what I was going to suggest (assuming you had a different hboot) was to flash a PC36IMG of whatever RUU contained the hboot you had. Do you remember which OTA of 2.1? You can find all PC36IMG.zip files here:

Supersonic Shipped ROMs - xda-developers

You should be able to flash whatever you want now that you have the eng bootloader (and it's easy to get back as long as you don't go back to 2.02 or up; of course you know how to get back now if you do).
    Mr. Ed and v01rider like this.
  24. v01rider

akazabam that was so long ago, i have no idea what ota i had....hahaha