• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SOLVED - Missing WiMax Keys - Update First Post

is there anyway to check the MD5 Sums on a nandroid?

?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714114

i pulled this directly from the nandroid that has the wimax.img file.

02d4c83adeec4970cfb73ecc8e1b6565 boot.img
3a323815b83630ad5db0c57c94601ef1 cache.img
3c130a068d0faba7bca3dced1ccc4901 data.img
f124c54971af0a2a827645cf436fec3a system.img
a7f7bbfb980a9c631d9234ea770141fc wimax.img

Upvote 0
I don't think that will do you much good. You can use any old md5sum console application from the terminal to get the md5sum. This works for windows:

MD5sums for Windows

You can run it against any of the img files in a nandroid, but l'm not sure that's all that helpful.

I did find out you can do this from the the terminal on the phone (using your corresponding numbers):

# cd /sdcard/nandroid/(number)/(nandroid date)/
# grep BUILD system.img
BUILD_DISPLAY_ID=3.70.651.1

There were other lines of output other than those two, but that should help you figure out what software version a nandroid backup is from. It had a lot to go through, so it sat there for a while after that. You'll probably have to just exit the terminal (or, if you're using sshd like me, ctrl-c works :)).

Upvote 0
I don't think that will do you much good. You can use any old md5sum console application from the terminal to get the md5sum. This works for windows:

MD5sums for Windows

You can run it against any of the img files in a nandroid, but l'm not sure that's all that helpful.

I did find out you can do this from the the terminal on the phone (using your corresponding numbers):

# cd /sdcard/nandroid/(number)/(nandroid date)/
# grep BUILD system.img

There were other lines of output other than those two, but that should help you figure out what software version a nandroid backup is from. It had a lot to go through, so it sat there for a while after that. You'll probably have to just exit the terminal (or, if you're using sshd like me, ctrl-c works :)).

thank you. i was wonderin if i could find the right rom/md5 combo, it might shorten my flashing time.

Upvote 0
thank you. i was wonderin if i could find the right rom/md5 combo, it might shorten my flashing time.

That's the thing - you can get an md5sum of the img file, but I don't know what you'd really do with it, especially since it seems to be related to the hboot version.

EDIT: btw, when you check the md5sum of the file, it should obviously match what's in the nandroid.md5 file for the particular nandroid.

Upvote 0
ah ok. hmmmm :/

Did you try running that grep command against system.img? It won't tell you what hboot version you had (e.g. if you'd already gone to the eng bootloader), but we can match the sw version with the corresponding hboot version to get a good guess. If you'd updated manually though, it could be a shot in the dark.

Go ahead and get the md5sum of the .img files anyway, and make sure they match the nandroid.md5. If they do, we should at least know there is nothing wrong with the files (due to having to restore them).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ah, yes, you need that. Recovery needs that to verify the integrity of the files. So do you have your wimax keys back?

EDIT: hmmm. I'll have to help you troubleshoot more in the morning.

wimax checker says no
rsa_oem.key - still 0k

thanks so much for the help! im beat and will pick up at this tomorrow. i will pull all the nandroid.md5 files for the other back-ups and see if i get lucky with an older one. my only worry, the other nandroids do not have a wimax.img in the list :/

Upvote 0
thought id try with sprint chat....hahaha, i should have known better!!

Your session ID for this incident is 1979937.
Time Details
01/20/2011 10:40:25AM Session Started with Agent (Stuart M)
01/20/2011 10:40:25AM System: "Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Stuart M."
01/20/2011 10:40:25AM cory: "??4g is not working. need to have wimax.img re-sent to my phone"
01/20/2011 10:41:01AM Agent (Stuart M): "Hello."
01/20/2011 10:42:34AM cory: "hi. i am unable to get connected to 4g service. it seems my wimax.img file is corrupt. is there anyway to send the factory image back to my phone?"
01/20/2011 10:45:12AM Agent (Stuart M): "I am sorry, the concerns seems to be technical in nature. Please contact our technical support department at 888-211-4727."
01/20/2011 10:45:29AM cory: "ok"

Upvote 0
Lol, that doesn't seem to have help much...

So, let's see, you were able to restore a nandroid backup, finally. What hboot version are you on? Did you ever grep RSA wimax.img for that particular nandroid backup?

im back on hboot .76. i have been running nandroid backups with no problems since i learned the nandroid.md5 has to be there. i am working on restoring #4 of the nandroids i have. each time i do grep rsa and i only get

Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
# cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA
ReRSA
RSA requests
RSA replies

:( not looking good so far. i ran a deep file scan on my laptop last night while i was sleeping to see if there were any other old nandroids. i found 1 other nandroid from 10-2010, but if there isnt any keys from 8-2010, i doubt there is in 10-2010

Upvote 0
im back on hboot .76. i have been running nandroid backups with no problems since i learned the nandroid.md5 has to be there. i am working on restoring #4 of the nandroids i have. each time i do grep rsa and i only get

Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
# cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA
ReRSA
RSA requests
RSA replies

:( not looking good so far. i ran a deep file scan on my laptop last night while i was sleeping to see if there were any other old nandroids. i found 1 other nandroid from 10-2010, but if there isnt any keys from 8-2010, i doubt there is in 10-2010

Do you know if you were actually on .76 when you created these nandroid backups? Did you just root with unrevoked after updating earlier? I'm wondering if maybe you were on a different hboot. It's still restoring, but maybe causing problems due to a different hboot? Normally a nandroid restore won't work if on a different hboot, I've seen weirder things happen.

Also, you mentioned earlier about doing this:

grep RSA /sdcard/nandroid/HT065HL*****/(NAME OF NANDROID)/wimax.img

Did you try that on the wimax.img of the nandroid backups you've tried restoring? I'm just wondering if it shows up in there, but not on the phone after restoring. That would be related to the above, more than likely. Just a thought.

Reactions: v01rider
Upvote 0
i know ive always been on .76 ever since rooting. ive only went to 2.02 a few weeks ago. i actually flashed the zip from here [ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers but then lost s-off so i had to do [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - There Will Be Root - Upd. 01.10.11 - xda-developers to get s-off again.

will try this next
grep RSA /sdcard/nandroid/HT065HL*****/(NAME OF NANDROID)/wimax.img

Did you try that on the wimax.img of the nandroid backups you've tried restoring? I'm just wondering if it shows up in there, but not on the phone after restoring. That would be related to the above, more than likely. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Ah, I see. Yeah, you must have rooted with one of the methods that granted s-off through the eng bootloader (toast's?). That's good to know, then that you've always had it. So, theoretically, there should be nothing wrong with restoring your nandroid backups. It seems to be working fine, anyway. It could be that you just lost your keys that long ago and never noticed. Let me know what happens when you run that grep against wimax.img before restoring it. I tested it on one of my backups, and I see the expected output, so I know it should work.

As a side note, just keep the eng bootloader and never upgrade your hboot. I'm sure you're way ahead of me on that one by now, though ;). Also, if you intend to unroot, you'll still need to flash the unrevoked s-on tool since you already rerooted using unrevoked-forever.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones