SOLVED - Missing WiMax Keys - Update First Post

Last Updated: 2011-03-06 22:00:56
  1. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Start with the first one and work your way up :p. I'm wondering if this is actually possible. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I wonder if changing hboot versions, then going back to to what you had before still changes whatever it uses to calculate md5sums.

Advertisement
  2. v01rider

v01rider Well-Known Member

^^we are going to find out soon enough!!^^ :D
  3. akazabam

That's, of course, assuming the files remained completely in tact. You had to undelete them, correct?
  4. v01rider

correct. shhhhhh ;-) dont jinx me! haha :p

questions, flash the ruu or pc36img?
  5. akazabam

PC36IMG.zip. The RUU is an exe you run from your computer. The PC36IMG.zip should be more reliable, and doesn't require a consistent connection to your computer. I trust you know how to flash them, already.
    v01rider likes this.
  6. akazabam

Were you able to flash the older PC36IMG.zip files to update to the various hboot versions that went with 2.1?
  7. v01rider

not yet. had to get dinner. then went over to the g/f's house. now back at it for a bit before bed.
  8. v01rider

is there anyway to check the MD5 Sums on a nandroid?

?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714114

i pulled this directly from the nandroid that has the wimax.img file.

02d4c83adeec4970cfb73ecc8e1b6565 boot.img
    3a323815b83630ad5db0c57c94601ef1 cache.img
    3c130a068d0faba7bca3dced1ccc4901 data.img
    f124c54971af0a2a827645cf436fec3a system.img
    a7f7bbfb980a9c631d9234ea770141fc wimax.img
  9. akazabam

I don't think that will do you much good. You can use any old md5sum console application from the terminal to get the md5sum. This works for windows:

MD5sums for Windows

You can run it against any of the img files in a nandroid, but l'm not sure that's all that helpful.

I did find out you can do this from the the terminal on the phone (using your corresponding numbers):

# cd /sdcard/nandroid/(number)/(nandroid date)/
    # grep BUILD system.img
    BUILD_DISPLAY_ID=3.70.651.1
    BUILD_DISPLAY_ID=3.70.651.1

There were other lines of output other than those two, but that should help you figure out what software version a nandroid backup is from. It had a lot to go through, so it sat there for a while after that. You'll probably have to just exit the terminal (or, if you're using sshd like me, ctrl-c works :)).
  10. v01rider

thank you. i was wonderin if i could find the right rom/md5 combo, it might shorten my flashing time.
  11. akazabam

That's the thing - you can get an md5sum of the img file, but I don't know what you'd really do with it, especially since it seems to be related to the hboot version.

EDIT: btw, when you check the md5sum of the file, it should obviously match what's in the nandroid.md5 file for the particular nandroid.
  12. v01rider

ah ok. hmmmm :/
  13. akazabam

Did you try running that grep command against system.img? It won't tell you what hboot version you had (e.g. if you'd already gone to the eng bootloader), but we can match the sw version with the corresponding hboot version to get a good guess. If you'd updated manually though, it could be a shot in the dark.

Go ahead and get the md5sum of the .img files anyway, and make sure they match the nandroid.md5. If they do, we should at least know there is nothing wrong with the files (due to having to restore them).
  14. v01rider

15. v01rider

i just got the fresh boot animation!

holy crap i just booted.
  16. v01rider

im still getting this

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
    # cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
    RSA-REQUEST
    RSA-REPLY
    RSA-REJECT
    RSA-ACK
    RSA-1024
    RSA-REQUEST
    RSA-REPLY
    RSA-REJECT
    RSA-ACK
    RSA-1024
    RSA
    ReRSA
    RSA requests
    RSA replies
    #
  17. akazabam

Ah, yes, you need that. Recovery needs that to verify the integrity of the files. So do you have your wimax keys back?

EDIT: hmmm. I'll have to help you troubleshoot more in the morning.
    v01rider likes this.
  18. v01rider

wimax checker says no
    rsa_oem.key - still 0k

thanks so much for the help! im beat and will pick up at this tomorrow. i will pull all the nandroid.md5 files for the other back-ups and see if i get lucky with an older one. my only worry, the other nandroids do not have a wimax.img in the list :/
  19. v01rider

thought id try with sprint chat....hahaha, i should have known better!!

20. akazabam

Lol, that doesn't seem to have help much...

So, let's see, you were able to restore a nandroid backup, finally. What hboot version are you on? Did you ever grep RSA wimax.img for that particular nandroid backup?
  21. v01rider

im back on hboot .76. i have been running nandroid backups with no problems since i learned the nandroid.md5 has to be there. i am working on restoring #4 of the nandroids i have. each time i do grep rsa and i only get

Code (Text):
    1. C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
    2. # cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
    3. cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA
    4. RSA-REQUEST
    5. RSA-REPLY
    6. RSA-REJECT
    7. RSA-ACK
    8. RSA-1024
    9. RSA-REQUEST
    10. RSA-REPLY
    11. RSA-REJECT
    12. RSA-ACK
    13. RSA-1024
    14. RSA
    15. ReRSA
    16. RSA requests
    17. RSA replies

:( not looking good so far. i ran a deep file scan on my laptop last night while i was sleeping to see if there were any other old nandroids. i found 1 other nandroid from 10-2010, but if there isnt any keys from 8-2010, i doubt there is in 10-2010
  22. akazabam

Do you know if you were actually on .76 when you created these nandroid backups? Did you just root with unrevoked after updating earlier? I'm wondering if maybe you were on a different hboot. It's still restoring, but maybe causing problems due to a different hboot? Normally a nandroid restore won't work if on a different hboot, I've seen weirder things happen.

Also, you mentioned earlier about doing this:

grep RSA /sdcard/nandroid/HT065HL*****/(NAME OF NANDROID)/wimax.img

Did you try that on the wimax.img of the nandroid backups you've tried restoring? I'm just wondering if it shows up in there, but not on the phone after restoring. That would be related to the above, more than likely. Just a thought.
    v01rider likes this.
  23. v01rider

i know ive always been on .76 ever since rooting. ive only went to 2.02 a few weeks ago. i actually flashed the zip from here [ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers but then lost s-off so i had to do [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - There Will Be Root - Upd. 01.10.11 - xda-developers to get s-off again.

will try this next
  24. akazabam

Ah, I see. Yeah, you must have rooted with one of the methods that granted s-off through the eng bootloader (toast's?). That's good to know, then that you've always had it. So, theoretically, there should be nothing wrong with restoring your nandroid backups. It seems to be working fine, anyway. It could be that you just lost your keys that long ago and never noticed. Let me know what happens when you run that grep against wimax.img before restoring it. I tested it on one of my backups, and I see the expected output, so I know it should work.

As a side note, just keep the eng bootloader and never upgrade your hboot. I'm sure you're way ahead of me on that one by now, though ;). Also, if you intend to unroot, you'll still need to flash the unrevoked s-on tool since you already rerooted using unrevoked-forever.