[Solved]Using wifi only in a hotel (international)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. synical

synical Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm planning to go to asia for a vacation in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about bringing my EVO to surf the net/email only in the hotel.

Now my question is this. Will I be charged an international fee (from Sprint) if I use the hotel's wifi?

I searched the forums and there was a similar question but for VZW service and I'm not sure it would be the same for Sprint. http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/35270-international-use.html

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

when you use wifi you aren't using sprint, you are using the hotspot you connected to...in this case, the hotel. never personally done it, it should work if the wifi standards over there use the same ones over here.

Turn off mobile data since you wont be able to use sprint's cdma network overseas, and your battery will get murdered while it tries to find a signal.

synical likes this.
  3. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

synical likes this.
  4. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

That thread was locked but there's no reason stating why.. I wanted to add to it since I'm going to Tokyo myself in 10 days.

FWIW, I found a citywide wifi provider with very cheap rates:

Wi2 Home

I'm planning on using this service with my EVO in Tokyo.

I like my chances of finding a signal, and will use either Wardrive or WiFinder to locate them.

synical likes this.
  5. synical

synical Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

@cabbie thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure about it.

@myname...thanks for the widget..but no need, my phone is staying at the hotel. Don't want anything to happen while I'm traveling around with it.

@marc...I'll be ok with the wifi...hotel is free. Since it's solved, feel free to lock this thread.

Again thanks all for the help. I'll make sure to turn off everything but wifi. I'll even test the one click widget in the link I posted to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.