• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some advice, don't actually own a hero yet

Installation

Nov 20, 2009
Hi all, I am thinking of getting a hero now, however a few things I've read have put me off.

a) Some of the random problems, wi-fi connectivity etc.
b) the fact that the new lineup isn't actually that long away

Basically, do you think it's a good idea to wait? I must admit I can't

With regards to lag etc, you have to bare in mind when reading these threads its all subjective, the original ROM's and Firmware were not the best from what I have read, but HTC have done work on that, and my 1 month old hero is amazing, no WiFi issues, no Lag, no keyboard issues. yeah camera sucks, and flash player is still an issue, aside from that Im very happy:D

Upvote 0
With regards to lag etc, you have to bare in mind when reading these threads its all subjective, the original ROM's and Firmware were not the best from what I have read, but HTC have done work on that, and my 1 month old hero is amazing, no WiFi issues, no Lag, no keyboard issues. yeah camera sucks, and flash player is still an issue, aside from that Im very happy:D

Yeah this is kinda what I need to know... however I am thinking of holding off on the hero until march so it drops further in price (or just buying one of the new line of phones). + it means I can get new shoes for Christmas :p

Upvote 0
I don't find my Hero laggy at all - and only 1 homescreen is not running a widget (the other 6 are) :)

It depends - looking at the new lineup they are using touchpads rather than rollerball which I'm not keen on - and the NEW Hero is pretty much identical internally.

No problems what so ever with WiFi connectivity on mine - although have read its to do with the router side (same probs Nintendo DS light can have with N band) although it does seem to only effect certain makes of router.

Guess its your choice really - cool award winning phone now or wait to see if there's any improvement in the next lineup.

Upvote 0
I don't find my Hero laggy at all - and only 1 homescreen is not running a widget (the other 6 are) :)

It depends - looking at the new lineup they are using touchpads rather than rollerball which I'm not keen on - and the NEW Hero is pretty much identical internally.

No problems what so ever with WiFi connectivity on mine - although have read its to do with the router side (same probs Nintendo DS light can have with N band) although it does seem to only effect certain makes of router.

Guess its your choice really - cool award winning phone now or wait to see if there's any improvement in the next lineup.

Thanks. I've been hearing a lot about new 1ghz CPUs etc which have confused me a little bit, and I must confess that I'd much rather have a physical keyboard (I believe a fair few of the new lineup have these?) so I'm also looking at the milestone, which atm is too expensive for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones