• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some advice for people with budget phones

Dosage

Aug 16, 2012
For people with the cheaper phones/budget phones that don't have a lot of internal memory or RAM, here are a few tips that I got from my short experience with my samsung galaxy Y.

1. Do NOT download Friendcaster or 'Facebook for Android', those apps stay on 24/7 and eat up a shitload of RAM

2. Use this guide if you want to move your apps to your SD card, and all the apps in the future will download to the SD card. Use ''apps2sd''to know which apps are on the internal memory. You can ofcourse just root your device instead, but some people don't want to risk bricking.

3. If you're gonna use a launcher, don't use GO launcher, it's too heavy. You should, however, download GO power master.

4.DO NOT use any RAM booster, manager or optimizer. They are counter-productive and will only waste CPU cycles and battery as Android tries to maximize RAM usage and system speed. In Linux systems high RAM usage is both normal and desirable. Android does an excellent job of handling RAM with no help from 3rd-party apps or user input.

4. Do NOT get GO locker, it eats up a lot of RAM just to give you a nice lock screen, it's not worth it.

5. Do NOT download different messengers (facebook messenger, yahoo messenger etc), just get Nimbuzz and link them all together instead of keeping 3-5 apps open.

6. Try not to add many widgets, they use up RAM. Would be best if you use none.

Reactions: mikedt
For people with the cheaper phones/budget phones that don't have a lot of internal memory or RAM, here are a few tips that I got from my short experience with my samsung galaxy Y.

1. Do NOT download Friendcaster or 'Facebook for Android', those apps stay on 24/7 and eat up a shitload of RAM

They can also eat up a load of data, costing you real money. Do you really need to know the exact second what your "friends" are having for breakfast or that Lady Gaga has just blown her nose? It can probably wait a few hours until you get home.

Upvote 0
There are lighter launchers than GoLauncher - Holo Launcher, etc.

DO NOT use any RAM booster, manager or optimizer. They are counter-productive and will only waste CPU cycles and battery as Android tries to maximize RAM usage and system speed. In Linux systems high RAM usage is both normal and desirable. Android does an excellent job of handling RAM with no help from 3rd-party apps or user input.

Reactions: Dosage
Upvote 0
There are lighter launchers than GoLauncher - Holo Launcher, etc.

DO NOT use any RAM booster, manager or optimizer. They are counter-productive and will only waste CPU cycles and battery as Android tries to maximize RAM usage and system speed. In Linux systems high RAM usage is both normal and desirable. Android does an excellent job of handling RAM with no help from 3rd-party apps or user input.

So using that memory-clearing function isn't helpful at all? Also, which launcher would you recommend?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones