Some apps, like CacheMate, work after download, but at some point they break, help??

Last Updated:

1. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest This Topic's Starter

I applied drellisdee's full vzb rom, not the update, and for some reason, apps that work suddenly stop working. They are installed, they work, and then after some unknown amount of time, they no longer work and must be reinstalled for them to work. In the app drawer, they go from their normal icon (and working) to the standard android apk icon with their com.blah.cachemate name (and not working). Any ideas? SwiftKey also does this.

Advertisement
  2. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

did you ever figure anything out on this?

3. maddog986

maddog986 Active Member

I had a similar problem with stock rom. After going to a custom rom I never had the problem again.

4. darkxsun

I'm using a stock rom with modifications (installed and removed /system apps) and never had this problem until today... everytime I reboot 8pen disappears :(

I've even done a factory reset (wiped /data partition) and reinstalled and no luck :(

EDIT: Upon installation, it's saved as /data/app/com.threequbits.android.eightpen.zip. Not apk. Renaming to .apk doesn't help, dies on reboot. Copying to .apk doesn't help. Copying to /system/app/ doesn't help. This sucks :(

5. neightwulf

neightwulf Well-Known Member

I had this problem with MLB At Bat and OrbLive. Moving from /data/app-private to /data/app solved it for me ...

Where is CacheMate storing itself by default?

darkxsun likes this.
  6. darkxsun

Ah, 8pen is putting a .zip in /data/app/ and a .apk in /data/app-private... moving the .apk from /data/app-private to /data/app/ didn't help though (rebooting still erased it).

I copied the *real* .apk from /data/app-private, uninstalled, and used "adb install" to install it. First reboot didn't erase it! So for now I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I did get one good reboot out of it (has not happened until now).

Thanks for the point towards /data/app-private, neightwulf. What is that directory even for, anyway??

EDIT: Used the app a little rebooted again, using it still. Seems to have worked. Bizarre.

7. neightwulf

neightwulf Well-Known Member

Well, the only two apps of mine that I found there are the only two I paid for. Also, I recall having trouble backing them up using ... something. (Astro maybe? Been a while). So my best guess is that maybe it's intended to be used to designate apps that should not backed up to SD or copied or something. Another lame anti-piracy measure that really doesn't do anything useful.

8. darkxsun

ah, yes, it's probably where your paid apps go, free ones go in /app. Weird that it kept getting erased from /app-private... maybe *that* was anti-piracy gone wrong against a legit customer? (Nah, that's completely unheard of! ;-) )