• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

some archos 101 questions

CarsnGadgets

Android Expert
May 17, 2010
UK
I am seriously considering getting an Archos 101 8GB
Laptop Computing - Archos 101 8GB Android 2.2 Ready Internet Tablet

I currently own an HTC Desire and know android well.
I plan to tether it to the 101.

my questions are:

1. The 101 linked above ships with android 2.1, to update to 2.2 is it just a case of connecting via wifi and going to settings/about phone/system software updates and checking for any updates, (as I would do on the Desire)?

2. The 101 doesnt have the Android Market loaded. I know you can install the gApps4Archos.apk file to get it, but I was wondering if that still worked since archos released the latest firmware for the 101 tablets Version 1.0.84 - October 21st, 2010 or if that update breaks that hack?

3. Is wifi tethering easy between two android 2.2 devices? I have never used the tethering option on my Desire before.

4. Assuming I'm running 2.2, how much space is there in the internal memory to install apps? is it the full 8gb (minus the OS etc) or a small partition like the 147mb available on the Desire?

thanks a lot in advance.

#1 Yes. Actually, it's recommended that as soon as you configure your wifi, that you run the update function.
#2 Mine's updated to the latest firmware and the market still works. The issue will be when we get the 2.2 and will have to get a new version of market as well. The good news is that the 2.2 version of the market for the archos is already standing by.
#3 Android can generate an adhoc wifi, but they can't connect to it.
#4 The 2.2 update will use all of the flash memory according to the beta testers. So it is now similar to the ipod, as in the entire 8 or 16 gig will now be available for both apps and media.

Upvote 0
Thanks,

So is it easy to tether an android phone to the 101?

Is 2.2 still not out for the archos 101 yet then?

Thanks for the help.
No, 2.2 is not out yet, the team promises to deliver it by the end of this month, so hopefully it should be out soon.

In order to tether your phone with your archos via bluetooth, your phone needs to support Bluetooth DUN. I have no idea if Desire supports that, but I know that Nexus One doesn't. There may be a workaround using PDANet or EasyTether (I managed to activate the Bluetooth DUN in PDANet but the connection was unsuccessful).

However, the best workaround for that would be to simply activate the portable-hotspot mode. Then connect your Archos to your phone's AP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones