Some basic issues with Samsing Galaxy SSupport

Last Updated:

1. sanjg2k1

sanjg2k1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I bought Samsung Galaxy S with a lot of excitement about its hardware features. I recently upgraded to DDJG4 firmware.
    1. When I send a contact as a Name-card using messaging, it goes as a MMS and SMS. Thus, I end up paying Rs. 5 per message and not Rs. 0.10 which I pay for a SMS. Moreover, recipient of the SMS may not have GPRS connectivity on his phone.
    2. When someone with a Nokia handset (Symbian OS), sends me a Business Card as SMS, the message is received on my phone as

Advertisement
  2. substring

substring Well-Known Member

@Sanjeev, you did not state which variant of Galaxy S did you buy. Also, are you in Europe? In the U.S., Nokia phones are not that popular as you have stated. None of my friends is using Nokia phone. And very few of them are using WinMo phones.

On my BlackBerry, I have downloaded a Google Sync app to sync up the contacts and calendar. I am sure there is a similar app for the Android phone. It does not make sense if Google does not create such app for their own OS. You need to search the Marketplace first.

You might also want to read the manual first because I cannot imagine any phone that cannot search the contacts by typing in the name.

3. sanjg2k1

I am in India and I bought the phone here. What I meant was searching a contact using the dialler. Dialler can list out contacts based on first name but dialler cannot search on surname. However, it can definitely search on surname if I go to contacts and search there. My pronlem is with searh using the dialler directly. Moreover, Gooogle Contacts sync with my Gmail contacts on the Internet but what I am talking about is automatic syncing between Google Contacts and Phone Contacts stored locally.

4. sanjg2k1

5. ArmadaTattoo

ArmadaTattoo Well-Known Member

6. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Well-Known Member

I haven't thought of this , but I'll try sending conacts as sms later and tell you what I found out

the autosync is there , but you have to make the contacts as your gmail account contacts not phone contacts and you have to enable sync from settings

BT worked fine for me , between 2 galaxy S (didn't work with a nexus one though nor with my laptop)

KIES has a problem with 64bit version of windows (the driver), I remember using another driver I found on xda forums [I'll look for it]
    but I didn't use kies anyway , just used the driver and it worked fine with me windows7 64bit

Daily briefing thingie , I use Gemini Calendar (free app) with a widget , it's pretty cool and shows up to 6 tasks

and for the dialer thingy , you can keep on holding the menu soft button to trigger search

the Unicode support is a problem I know , we had the same thing with arabic here (to add more to it , arabic is written from right to left) but arab programmers provided solutions , still waiting for official support here , so I feel you :D

7. sanjg2k1

MY POINT-WISE RESPONSE TO ABOVE:

1. What I was referring to was if I have the same set of contacts as Phone Contacts and Gmail Contacts on my phone and I make a change in one (say in Gmail), then there should be an auto-sync mechanism between the two. It is strange that the phone software automatically links two contacts (even if there is some commonality in the name and, in reality, contacts are different) but it does not do this genuine synchronisation.

2. BT is fine for me except between two Galaxy S. It has a problem with my Sony Vaio Laptop too. It keeps Searching for precoonfigured folders even after getting connected (as a part of some driver installationdriver installation) when I try to send a file from phone to laptop but there is no problem in sending file from laptop to phone.

3. I got Kies to work but only after adding a third party driver for Windows 7 (64 bit).

4. Gemmini Calendar is OK but the letters are too small. I thought that default Daily Briefing should have an option to choose number of appointments to be displayed. A good phone should require minimum number of third party apps to be installed.

5. Searching like that through contacts is not the same thing as using gialler to suggest parts of first name and sur name, but I have got a third party app Dialler One which does that for me.

6. Unicode is a must.

I am now waiting for answers to remaining issues.

8. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

With regard to the searching contacts issue, if you change your contacts display in settings from 'First Name, Last Name' to 'Last Name, First Name' it'll search only the last name. If you have no ones name in the name field then it'll search the company.

9. sanjg2k1

What I want is that it should search by first name, last name and the company through the dialler just as it does in case of contacts.

10. sanjg2k1

Is there anybody out there listening to me? Can I get part solutions at least to some of my problems?