Some email questions about Android 2

Last Updated:

1. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I see that I will have to get a Gmail account in order to use the App Marketplace, so that has got me thinking:

My office email (my only email right now) is through ATT/Yahoo. At work, we use POP with Outlook and I want to make sure I keep all my Outlook contacts, Calendar, Tasks in sync with the phone, but we do not use Exchange (and probably won't). I could use a Yahoo login for my mail if that works better, but I still need my Outlook stuff on the phone.

So, a few questions:

1. Without Exchange, how will I keep my phone and my Outlook on my PC fairly in sync (even if not instantaneous)? Can I sync when connected to the PC?

2. Should I use the Yahoo Mail or POP on the Droid?

3. Since I have to get a Gmail account, and I want to make my regular email my default, can I just have any Gmail emails funnel into my primary email?

Advertisement
  2. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

I cant answer about android 2.0 which does have improvements with email ver 1.6 One thing advertises is a universal inbox where multiple accounts can be merged.

In 1.6 you can have a gmail account via the gmail app and a Yahoo (or other) account connected to the "Mail " App.

But somenone familiar wih 2.0 should really answer your question as it has new mail features which im not sure how they work.

3. DrDroid

DrDroid Well-Known Member

you can set up outlook and your phone to connect to your yahoo email via IMAP; and have access to the same emails in the office or on the go. except for push email. i recommend to use gmail though, because Android is more focused in integration with Google services.

4. b8b

b8b Member

Can the gmail app be used with Google Apps? Can you get GMail push without the Gmail app? Can you have a Gmail and a Google Apps account both pushing emails?

5. DrDroid

DrDroid Well-Known Member

6. b8b

b8b Member