some help and info plz with my new htc hero unlocked

Last Updated:

1. tazzbaby

tazzbaby Member This Topic's Starter

hi guys first of all a big HELLO.i was wondering if use could help me out am new to all this rooting as i have had the iphone and decided to change to the hero and i must say i love it i have jailbroken many iphones but am not sure bought this wee hero i got it unlocked and on the soft ware 2.1 i done the androot and it worked am just needing some help on how to use custom roms and how to i go abought backing up my own soft ware before i change to a custom rom any help would be great as i am a noob lol thanks and how can i back my phone up in case something goes wrong thanks

Advertisement
  2. tazzbaby

hi guys tried a rom there but all i got wen i hold the home and power button was a htc hero with a red triangle and this ! on it any help plz

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You have to flash a custom recovery to the handset. See here for a link to the latest Amon_RA recovery or install ROM Manager from the Market and use it to flash the ClockworkMod version.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Once you have a recovery menu installed (and my vote has to go to amon ra), you should use it to make a nand backup before you do anything else. Nandroid backups can be used to restore your old firmware if something goes wrong :)

5. tazzbaby

i forgot to save it then my phone crashed would not turn on could not get bye the htc boot up then after some messing abought i got the villain rom and it worked and i got my phone on but i cant set up a google account it keeps crashing wen i try can use help me out is there a way i can get back my old software or get the vaillain 12 i should have waited to usde guys got back to me now am stuck

6. Xyro

So you didn't do a nandroid backup? Then there's no way to get your original firmware back. (Well, apart form installing it afresh).

So what do you mean it keeps crashing? The phone it's self keeps crashing or the Setup wizard keeps crashing?

Which firmware did you flash? Could you link me to it?

7. tazzbaby

i could not link u as i dnt have a bloody clue should have read up more sorry but it was the rom of the unlockr site the gsm hero 6th one dwn the froydvillian rom just having problems with google acount am dwn loading villian 12 now and i back up the one i have running

8. tazzbaby

sorry for the spelling mistakes as am panicking a bit

9. Xyro

No need to panic Tazz. The rule is, if your phone shows any signs of life, it can be saved :)

Which recovery menu do you get when you boot holding home + power? (Amon ra or clockwork?) I'll talk you through how to flash this properly.

Here's villain 12 by the way, if you need it.

tazzbaby likes this.
  10. tazzbaby

hi thank u thanks a lot. i get the clockworkmod recovery v2.5.0.1 its all in green righting

11. Xyro

Right. I'm not so familiar with clockwork so I might just flash it on mine so I know what I'm talking about.

Bear with me.

tazzbaby likes this.
  12. tazzbaby

hi m8 thanks for the help you are a life saver i gt the villain 12 rom on phone and it loadin up now with any luck this works am glad there is gd folk like your self on this site i thought my phone had it

13. Xyro

Ok:

- Put your new ROM on the root of your sdcard
    - Under 'nandroid' do a backup.
    - From the main menu pick 'wipe data/factory reset'.
    - Under 'advanced' pick 'Wipe Dalvik Cache'
    - From the main menu pick 'Wipe cache parition' (Not sure about this one - if it gives you errors then don't worry, just skip it).
    - Under 'install zip from sdcard' choose 'choose zip from sdcard'
    - Pick the new ROM.zip and flash it
    - Reboot

14. tazzbaby

u dancer m8 it bloody worked thanks for that i can relax now have a few beers lol BIG THANK U

15. Xyro

No problem :)

16. tazzbaby

will have one for u m8 lol am jason its a pleasure to meet u

17. tazzbaby

do i just stick on this rom now m8.what els should i be doing with my rooted new phone you seem the best person to ask

18. Xyro

Well, some of the more popular things to do are overclock your hero and enable apps2sd. Overlocking (speeding up your processor) will make your phone faster, although it will drain the battery quicker. You can enable apps2sd if you want to be able to install more apps.

Then there are plenty root only apps like the wireless teathering apps.

You can also theme villain 12 too I believe.

You should try out an updated version of the market (2.2 style) too from here.

Of course, some of us here are already running 2.2 ;)

tazzbaby likes this.
  19. tazzbaby

how would i go abought updating my market the same way i done the rom and is that how u add the themes

20. Xyro

I think, going by the description, you can just install it like you would any other .apk.

So go to your file manager of choice (like 'Astro') and click on the .apk and open it with Package Manager. Then it should replace the old one.

Themes are installed through the recovery menu though yes. Don't forget to nandroid backup first though :)

21. tazzbaby

i will never forget that again m8 lol if somthing did go wrong how would i re in stall the old rom with nandroid thats bought all i need to know then am a master like u lol we maybe a master novice

22. Xyro

You would boot into the recovery menu, go to the nandroid menu, pick restore and then restore the nandroid you wanted. You can backup V12 now in a working state, which is probably a better option that only having your old firmware as a backup.

Oh, and in your app drawer you should see an app called VillainROM updater. I'd check that to make sure your copy of V12 has the latest patches :)

23. tazzbaby

thanks.were do i go to get different roms for my hero must say i am loving this wee phone over my iphone lol cause most places am finding roms am really struggling to fined a gd one or one i like just in stalled froyo2.2 seems to run smooth

24. Xyro

Well, xda forums is the place to go for ROMs. But if you want a 2.2 ROM elelinux or floyo ate best right now.

( That changes with every version though of course).