• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root some help and info plz with my new htc hero unlocked

hi guys first of all a big HELLO.i was wondering if use could help me out am new to all this rooting as i have had the iphone and decided to change to the hero and i must say i love it i have jailbroken many iphones but am not sure bought this wee hero i got it unlocked and on the soft ware 2.1 i done the androot and it worked am just needing some help on how to use custom roms and how to i go abought backing up my own soft ware before i change to a custom rom any help would be great as i am a noob lol thanks and how can i back my phone up in case something goes wrong thanks

i forgot to save it then my phone crashed would not turn on could not get bye the htc boot up then after some messing abought i got the villain rom and it worked and i got my phone on but i cant set up a google account it keeps crashing wen i try can use help me out is there a way i can get back my old software or get the vaillain 12 i should have waited to usde guys got back to me now am stuck

Upvote 0
So you didn't do a nandroid backup? Then there's no way to get your original firmware back. (Well, apart form installing it afresh).

So what do you mean it keeps crashing? The phone it's self keeps crashing or the Setup wizard keeps crashing?

Which firmware did you flash? Could you link me to it?

Upvote 0
Ok:

- Put your new ROM on the root of your sdcard
- Under 'nandroid' do a backup.
- From the main menu pick 'wipe data/factory reset'.
- Under 'advanced' pick 'Wipe Dalvik Cache'
- From the main menu pick 'Wipe cache parition' (Not sure about this one - if it gives you errors then don't worry, just skip it).
- Under 'install zip from sdcard' choose 'choose zip from sdcard'
- Pick the new ROM.zip and flash it
- Reboot

Upvote 0
Well, some of the more popular things to do are overclock your hero and enable apps2sd. Overlocking (speeding up your processor) will make your phone faster, although it will drain the battery quicker. You can enable apps2sd if you want to be able to install more apps.

Then there are plenty root only apps like the wireless teathering apps.

You can also theme villain 12 too I believe.

You should try out an updated version of the market (2.2 style) too from here.

Of course, some of us here are already running 2.2 ;)

Reactions: tazzbaby
Upvote 0
I think, going by the description, you can just install it like you would any other .apk.

So go to your file manager of choice (like 'Astro') and click on the .apk and open it with Package Manager. Then it should replace the old one.

Themes are installed through the recovery menu though yes. Don't forget to nandroid backup first though :)

Upvote 0
You would boot into the recovery menu, go to the nandroid menu, pick restore and then restore the nandroid you wanted. You can backup V12 now in a working state, which is probably a better option that only having your old firmware as a backup.

Oh, and in your app drawer you should see an app called VillainROM updater. I'd check that to make sure your copy of V12 has the latest patches :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones