Some help for an Android NoobSupport

Last Updated:

1. ace0022

ace0022 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys and gals!

I could really use some help. I'm new to the android OS but not to PDA's in general. I might be dating myself but I started way back with the sharp organizers and then the Palm pilots and pretty much have had them all. Even the fruity themed rubber band needing phone...

Anyway, I got 2 nexus one's, one for me and one for my wife. Coolest phone ever! We are running into some storage issues and would love some help in figuring out what to do to alleviate that. I have seen people swore to have connected the nexus to a pc with HTC Sync and after 4 hours, I'm not any closer on connecting it than I was before connecting it.

(HTC Sync on Nexus One with r24 (Edit: Working) - Android @ MoDaCo)

Reason being I tried to get it working is because this post supposedly works on installing apps on the SD instead of the main memory storage; which lets face it, isn't much for a serious user.

(http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/174345-how-move-apps-sd-card-unrooted-device-noobs-guide.html)

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. shttw

shttw Active Member

Fellow noob here but when using HTC synch even with HTC wildfire you have to put the phone in USB Debug mode. Maybe you have to do the same with Nexus?

Try it under: SETTINGS - APPLICATIONS - DEVELOPMENT

On Froyo 2.2 you can move Apps to SD card anyway, as long as move to SD is supported.

You should have 2.2 by now. SETTINGS - ABOUT PHONE

3. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

HTC Sync has nothing to do with moving your apps to the SD card, so don't worry about that.

What you need to do is grab the Android SDK and use a simple ADB command with your phone connected to the PC with USB Debugging enabled:

Code (Text):
    1. adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2
    Then you're done.

4. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

move the apps manualy

menu > settings > Applications > manage apps > select any app you want and press the move to SD card button..

5. ace0022

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Before I do this, anything that I have to do to the sd card before doing that? You know like format it or something? Also, what about the stuff that's already there, will i loose it? I mean I can back up the stuff, so it's not a big deal and then copy it over...

(Yes, I am on Froyo and have moved the 4 or 5 apps that can be moved with the Manage Application settings, except I have about 15 or 20 that won't transfer.)

6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You don't have to do anything at all, doesn't effect anything other than your ability to move apps.

7. ace0022

OMG! Good lord! TY TY TY TY TY TY TY! Worked like a charm! TY so much! Did I mention TY!?

8. ace0022

One final question, I'm guessing if I want things to go back to the way they where, just use the same command but replace the 2 with a 1?

9. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Almost, you replace the 2 with a 0 (not that I can think of a reason to do that)

0 = Auto
    1 = Internal Storage
    2 = External Storage

10. ace0022

More curiosity than anything else! :D

Thanks! I was able to free up almost 100 megs of internal storage! Thanks again!

11. safeplayer22

safeplayer22 Well-Known Member

If you are rooted, then you can set everytime you install a NEW app, it will be installed in the sdcard instead of having to do this manually.

12. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

That's what we've just done, and you don't need root for it.