• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some help, please and thanks :)

carmendiva

Android Expert
Feb 11, 2010
New Yor
where is the easiest place for me to find access to root...I know there is a section somewhere in here but where specifically should i be looking in it
I feel kind of overwhelmed with all these threads and not sure where to look and really dont want to do anything wrong

In fact, if anyone wants to actually literally help me root my phone without any issues, PM me and maybe we can im...I am clueless when it comes to simple things as root

I had a nice friend that did it in the droid forums and the atmosphere here seems nice so if there are any nice people who'd like to help me with this issue
PM ME

You should at least try to look around, the sticky post above has a nice video etc. . .

Step 1: Download the Android SDK from Android SDK | Android Developers The Windows file is called android-sdk_r4-windows.zip. Extract the files to your C: drive so that you now have the folder C:\android-sdk-windows

Step 2: Download the asroot2 exploit file from http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1257621154 Extract asroot2.zip to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools folder.

Step 3: Download the Hero recovery image from 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img. Place this file in C:\android-sdk-windows\tools as well.

Mirror for 1.5.2 Recovery Image

Step 4: Make sure USB Debugging is off by going to Settings>Applications>Development. Now connect the phone to your PC via USB cable.

Step 5: Mount your sdcard; Browse to the HTC Sync folder and install HTC Sync on your pc. After it is done installing unmount the sdcard then enable your USB debugging.

*Note* If the drivers you installed from HTC Sync do not work, you can alternatively download a program called PDAnet. This will not only allow you to tether your phone, but will also install the correct drivers for you as well. *Note* (This note is not part of the original tutorial)

Step 6: Open a command prompt by clicking the Start button and typing cmd into the search box and pressing enter or found under All Programs>Accessories.

Step 7: You will now enter a series of commands which I will place inside code boxes to indicate the entire command. You may copy and then paste them into the command prompt window by right clicking. Only enter one command at a time.
1:
Code:

Code:
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
2:
Code:

Code:
adb devices
If you've been following this guide you will see your phone's serial number. If you get "device not found" error, you either need to make sure you the drivers were properly installed or make sure you enable USB debugging AFTER you connect the USB cable. Continue on once you get the proper phone serial output.
3:
Code:

Code:
adb push asroot2 /data/local/
4:
Code:

Code:
adb shell
5:
Code:

Code:
chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
6:
Code:

Code:
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
You should see an output that says:
$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
[+] Using newer pope_inode_info layout
Opening: /proc/857/fd/3
SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
#
Now for a few last commands.
7:
Code:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
8:
Code:

Code:
cd /system/bin
9:
Code:

Code:
cat sh > su
10:
Code:

Code:
chmod 4755 su
You are now officially rooted. A few more steps and you will have flashed the recovery image.
11:
Code:

Code:
exit
12:
Code:

Code:
exit
13:
Code:

Code:
adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img /sdcard
Pushing is equivalent of copy the file to the root of your sdcard. By the time you finished reading this it should be done. You'll know its done because the ouput will say something like transferred X bytes in X secs.
14:
Code:

Code:
adb shell reboot
This will cause the phone to restart automatically. Wait till it is fully booted to continue. (Also, make sure after your phone reboots that USB Debugging Is Still Enabled).
15:
Code:

Code:
adb shell
16:
Code:

Code:
su
17:
Code:

Code:
cd /sdcard/
18:
Code:

Code:
flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img
FLASHING TO THE RECOVERY TAKES SEVERAL SECONDS-- BE PATIENT. ENTER THE NEXT COMMAND ONLY AFTER THE COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS TO THE # (ROOT SYMBOL).

19:
Code:

Code:
reboot recovery
Step 8: This is the last command; you may now close the cmd prompt. This will cause your phone to boot into recovery mode; it should take no longer than 30 secs. The third option on the list is "- Backup/Restore"; select it. Now, select the first option "- Nand backup". The phone will prompt you to press HOME to confirm which is want you want to do. The backup will begin. You will see the screen say, "Performing backup : .........." When done, the bottom of the screen will say "Backup complete!" and you will be given the menu options again. Go back to the main menu and select reboot system. Rebooting your phone after installing the new recovery image may take several minutes.

Step 9: Once your phone is fully booted, mount the sdcard. You will see a folder called "nandroid"; I highly recommend you copy this to your pc in case you lose your sdcard data or reformat it. Your phone is rooted, 100% backed up, and ready to install a custom rom if you wish!

Upvote 0
Question...this video right here(i did some searching on youtube)
seems fairly less complicated than that above me....

YouTube - How to root the Cdma Hero(Sprint) Jan/17/2010

I know there are multiples ways to root but this is almost similar
to how rooted my droid because i never had to type all those things in the above
So is this a good video to follow??

Upvote 0
If you don't care about the background process or understanding what's happening to your phone (which I hope you do) then the auto-rooter in Fresh Kitchen works great. At least in my experience. If you go that route, at least read up on what rooting is if you don't already know what goes on behind the scenes.

There is really only 1 thing that is guaranteed to brick your phone and that's flashing a radio (not ROM) made for a different phone. I've seen a few people flash the GSM Hero radio and toast their phone. Other than that, everything can be undone thanks to RA.

Upvote 0
carmen, i downloaded the kitchen from fresh and auto rooted and had no problems and it took a few minutes..very easy and a few clicks..i used this cause im new to android and then once u root the fresh 2.0d rom is outstanding..ive tried a few different ones but ended up going back....i believe if u root with the kitchen it will give u the recovery image 1.62 and then from there u can partition card, wipe and etc....i dont know alot but i have learned some from trial and error if ya want shoot me a pm and ill give telephone number and i can walk ya thru it the best i can........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones