• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root some info,please

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
i plan on picking one of these up as soon as LTE models are available,so eventually i can collect all this myself.

however if anyones bored,i wouldnt mind taking a peak at at the results of:

in a rooted OS:
adb shell

su

cat /proc/emmc

cat proc/partitions

in fastboot:
fastboot oem ?

fastboot getvar all
(in a locked and unlocked state)

post pm or upload documents,please remove all imie,esn,etc.

im also real curious of fastboot oem lock results in a relocked or locked bootloader.

if we can install any firmware,and unsigned images this may be the first htc device not to have an "s-" status

Hey Scotty,

Found this on xda here.

attachment.php

Upvote 0
Hey Scotty and Brian!

When/if you guys get your N9s, would you mind trying-out some features of my Root Toolkit for Android app on that device, please?

I can give you specifics if/when needed...

I have an inkling based on Chainfire's recent G+ posts that I'll need to recompile some of my binary utilities for 64 bit (but don't want to if I don't have to, of course).

Cheers and thanks ahead of time if you're willing!

:) :thumbup:

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hey Scottie and Brian!

When/if you guys get your N9s, would you mind trying-out some features of my Root Toolkit for Android app on that device, please?

I have an inkling based on Chainfire's recent G+ posts that I'll need to recompile some of my binary utilities for 64 bit (but don't want to if I don't have to, of course).

Sure will. :)

Mine is set to arrive Monday or Tuesday and I'll be looking to mess around with it as soon as I get the chance.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hey Scotty and Brian!

Hey Mr scary! Absolutely! Will be happy to test anything you'd like :cool:

Not sure how long it will be before I pick one up,I'm still trying to hold out for an LTE version (i wish they'd hurry up!)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Alright Scotty, I got all the information you wanted and some you probably didn't want. Each text file is a different fastboot command.

All files and some screen shots are in a Dropbox folder here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqsmcmvawnfd108/AABprC_btEGMonFID7sZ8BgIa?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else or have any questions.

Awsome! Thanks bro ill take a look

edit:
yeah thats exactly the stuff i wanted to see. :cool: am i correct in assuming you did not change the cid? the device shipped that way? that is interesting!

2nd edit:
in an unlocked state,chose the simlock option in hboot. i assume you get an "sd init fail" error message,but in the event that you get a list of failed files,get a screen shot of that. if you have any usb OTG cables try it with one of those plugged into the device,and a FAT32 sd or flash drive plugged into the cable

Upvote 0
Scary, what do you want me to test?

Ah, thank you, Brian!

I'm just looking for overall functionality at first: i.e.:

1. Does Display Root and Device Status show "Device DOES have root!" at the top?

2. Does the Freeze/Thaw Application function work properly? (

And specifically, does the

3. Calculate MD5 or SHA1 checksum function work properly (navigation and returning a digest of the selected (long-pressed) file)?

If those functions work properly, then that will hit the busybox, md5sum, and sha1sum binaries that I have in my app and will mean I don't have to compile 64-bit specific versions of them.

I have pretty high confidence that everything will work okay, but I'd rather be out in-front of any issues before a wider/larger group of folks try stuff.

I'll probably add support for the Identify Current Recovery function for the N6 and N9 (and possibly the flashing of stock and maybe custom recoveries) once I get a little more time, but I'd need to know the name of the recovery partition (i.e., /dev/block/xxx/by-name/recovery or similar). I usually only like to include that functionality on devices I own so I can test myself, but I'm happy to add that for these devices if folks are interested.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!

Upvote 0
Awsome! Thanks bro ill take a look

edit:
yeah thats exactly the stuff i wanted to see. :cool: am i correct in assuming you did not change the cid? the device shipped that way? that is interesting!

2nd edit:
in an unlocked state,chose the simlock option in hboot. i assume you get an "sd init fail" error message,but in the event that you get a list of failed files,get a screen shot of that. if you have any usb OTG cables try it with one of those plugged into the device,and a FAT32 sd or flash drive plugged into the cable
Will do!

Also yes, I was going to say something about the cid, as I thought that was interesting as well. It shipped that way.

Upvote 0
Sa, will test in a bit when I get the chance. From the little information I know, I think recovery is mmcblk0p15

If I dump that memory block, would you be able to verify?

Thanks, Brian!

For the recovery, I only need the name :).

I just need to know where to grab the contents of the recovery from (or to write to if/when I support flashing of a new recovery (stock or custom)).

I'll get MD5s for the stock recovery from the factory image and support the identification and flashing for you guys.

:)

Upvote 0
Thanks, Brian!

For the recovery, I only need the name :).

I just need to know where to grab the contents of the recovery from (or to write to if/when I support flashing of a new recovery (stock or custom)).

I'll get MD5s for the stock recovery from the factory image and support the identification and flashing for you guys.

:)

How can I check what you need? I'm not sure I fully understand the request. How would I go about getting the name?

Also, tested your root toolkit app. See screenshots here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nxqoh04dny4jh22/AAByK3cllxi5PlF2iwrgblNua?dl=0

Freezing apps did not work. md5/sha1 checks worked as well as verifying root.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

It didn't do anything. It went to the simlock screen for a couple seconds and then back to hboot. Didn't display any errors or messages. I didn't have OTG to test with...

Upvote 0
How can I check what you need? I'm not sure I fully understand the request. How would I go about getting the name?

Also, tested your root toolkit app. See screenshots here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nxqoh04dny4jh22/AAByK3cllxi5PlF2iwrgblNua?dl=0

Freezing apps did not work. md5/sha1 checks worked as well as verifying root.

Ah, thank you for that, Brian! :thumbup:

The screenshots are wonderfully helpful!

I'll try to build you a test .apk that will have some debugging help/displays and try to incorporate some new functionality, too.

Thanks!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Ah, thank you for that, Brian! :thumbup:

The screenshots are wonderfully helpful!

I'll try to build you a test .apk that will have some debugging help/displays and try to incorporate some new functionality, too.

Thanks!
Hey, I pulled a log cat, hope it helps.

Attachments

• Logcat.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
Can you tell me the full path of the by-name directory and the names of all of the partitions?

I.e., ls -al /dev/block/xxx/by-name/*

That way, I'll have the full path name to the recovery partition and it's name (i.e., is it called "recovery" or "SOS", etc.?).

Thanks!
Lol, I was just getting ready to post this, but got on a phone call. It's SOS.

The partitions aren't labeled very clearly are they?

Attachments

• by-name.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
Hey Brian, I've built a special test version for you that will allow you to test three additional (SELinux) contexts when invoking the pm (package manager) for doing the freeze/thaw (disable/enable) function in my app.

All you have to do is select one of the three "Set pm_special_context_#" options and then invoke the "Freeze/Thaw Application" function to test whether or not the new context will actually allow the app to work.

Note that if it works, you'll see an "Application has been enabled/disabled." toast (and/or you won't get the error that you saw previously). If you could also verify that a disabled (frozen) app truly disappears from your app drawer, that would be the best confirmation, too.

I'm guessing / pretty-sure that pm_special_context_2 will work for you based on the additional research I've found and testing I've done, but would like to know the status on your N9 of all three settings if that's not too much trouble :).

I'm downloading the (805MB! :eek:) factory image now (it's taking a while, LOL) to extract the stock recovery so I can support it in my app for your guys--but I probably won't get to that until at least tomorrow evening.

Cheers and again, many thanks for your help!

:) :) :)

Upvote 0
Hey Brian, I've built a special test version for you that will allow you to test three additional (SELinux) contexts when invoking the pm (package manager) for doing the freeze/thaw (disable/enable) function in my app.

All you have to do is select one of the three "Set pm_special_context_#" options and then invoke the "Freeze/Thaw Application" function to test whether or not the new context will actually allow the app to work.

Note that if it works, you'll see an "Application has been enabled/disabled." toast (and/or you won't get the error that you saw previously). If you could also verify that a disabled (frozen) app truly disappears from your app drawer, that would be the best confirmation, too.

I'm guessing / pretty-sure that pm_special_context_2 will work for you based on the additional research I've found and testing I've done, but would like to know the status on your N9 of all three settings if that's not too much trouble :).

I'm downloading the (805MB! :eek:) factory image now (it's taking a while, LOL) to extract the stock recovery so I can support it in my app for your guys--but I probably won't get to that until at least tomorrow evening.

Cheers and again, many thanks for your help!

:) :) :)
Well Sean, I hate to tell ya, but I got the same results with all special contexts.
https://copy.com/3eKcRhJacOYM1nlE

Screen shots should be in order, note the error I received upon booting the app.

Edit:
I cant recreate that error. Only happened first time I started the app after updating. I even dropped su access and killed the app and started again, granting it super user permission again, and never received the error. Tested all contexts again with same results.

Upvote 0
Thanks again, Brian for your testing and help! Much appreciated!

Well Sean, I hate to tell ya, but I got the same results with all special contexts.

Hmm, that's a bit of a head-scratcher...I might have you list the context for the /system/bin/pm (I think that's the right path) and/or try some other su run contexts, but I need to do a little more research obviously...

Brian706 said:
Screen shots should be in order, note the error I received upon booting the app.

Edit:
I cant recreate that error. Only happened first time I started the app after updating. I even dropped su access and killed the app and started again, granting it super user permission again, and never received the error. Tested all contexts again with same results.

I see that timeout occasionally...and yeah, it's hard to recreate or pin-down exactly what is going on...it's not a 5.0 thing since I've definitely seen it before. I've got some ideas as to how to try to recreate and then direct the user how to retry.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones