Some initial thoughts from a Droid Incredible Convert

Last Updated:

1. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 10, 2009
    The size is bigger. There are times I have to stretch that thumb to get to parts of the screen when working in portrait mode. I am 6'1" and have big hands. I could see this being an issue for others. I have adjusted how I hold the phone in portrait mode to be able to reach everything.

I love the look of this phone. I like how the indicator LED and sensors are hidden in the black pieces next to the ear piece. I also like the overall feel and thickness of the phone. I think in all its a very stylish phone and definitely beats out the Inc in this department. the Inc looked too much like an Iphone from the front for my tastes.

The screen is beautiful. It does not have the contrast of the Inc. It also does not quite have the rich colors of the Inc. but, the Inc seems quite pixelated next to it. This is a problem with AMOLEDs. Athough I never thought the Incredible's day light readability was horrible, the X's is much better. The screen on the X is overall much more readable than the INc.

Though technically the X is supposed to have a faster processor even though it runs at the same speed, the X seems much more laggy than the Inc. The incredible was very very fast. Scrolling was seamless. The X seems to have some issues in this department, but I don't attribute it to the hardware. I think Moto will make some changes to the software and solve these issues with time--Especially with Froyo.

Moto Blur vs Sense:
    This is the biggest beef i have with the X. I miss the card view with sense. Would love to see that feature on the X. I know most this can be changed with a home screen replacement, but i dont particularly care for home screen replacements. The other thing that bothers me is when changing screens on the X it takes too long for the Screen indicator dots to drop and allow access to the app drawer/phone/contacts. You have to wait a couple seconds for it to drop. I also loved the clock/weather on sense, but that was easily remedied with the purchase of beautiful widgets.

Soft keys on the bottom vs hardware buttons:
    I think the X wins hands down in this department. I hated the soft keys. I found many times on the Inc that when I was using it in landscape mode i would often activate the search key. This is not an issue with the X. I also think it is the best thing ever that you can hit the home button to wake up the phone and not just the power button.

So far the only thing i can comment on is the car dock. Although it is much more clunky than the original droid car dock. I think it is much better than the car dock available for the Inc. I like that it charges. Something that i have been wanting forever. I plan to hard wire power into the dock. I also have always liked the dock modes carried over from the Original Droid. This is just a personal preference thing.

Other Software:
    Enterprise users will definitely miss HTC sync coming from the INc. My coworker also bought a X and is struggling to get it to sync even with paid software with outlook calendar, tasks, and contacts.

Build Quality:
    I really like the feel of the X. It definitely feels more solid than the Inc. I don't notice a huge increase in weight.

Battery Life:
    I will get a better handle on this over time, but initially it seem pretty on par with the Inc. Maybe a little better. I still need to adjust some of the email polling settings to get a good gauge on this.

Other thoughts:
    I have not had a chance to test the bluetooth, but im hearing its a bit better on the X. That you can do voice dialing from the button on the headset. I also have not really had a chance to evaluate the camera. It seems ok. I never expect a cell phone camera to take superb shots. If I want to do that I will get out my Canon T2i. So, camera quality is much less of an issue for me than others. For me its just there to snap the occasional shot when i dont have my DSLR handy and to snap pics of things to post on my forums.

In all I think the beautiful screen and style of this phone is what wins out over the Inc. The points where the Inc wins are mostly mute. Especially the sense stuff which can be made up with various app choices from the market. The only major issue where the Inc wins out big is the lagginess and I hope this is solved soon with a software update form moto.

TaylorsCock likes this.
  2. HauntedHallows

HauntedHallows Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Good review! I think HTC should just add sense to the android marketplace for like 19.99 and i am sure people will pay it.
  3. RedCamaroZSS

RedCamaroZSS Active Member

May 1, 2010
    I came from the Inc as well and pretty much agree with everything you said. I did miss Sense a lot tho and therefore now use LauncherPro and found the apk for Fancy Widgets to have the exact same clock as Sense.
    Overall, I am happy to have the X based on extra screen size alone. The battery seems almost equal, but I started using Advanced Task Killer today and it seems like the battery is draining slower so far.
  4. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    i dont miss the inc. got it on day one. got the x on day if i did an average, by mid aug. i`ll be bored. BUT!!
    by the end of aug. we should have 2.2, which will be like getting a new phone again. so i could be happy easily until sept/oct. by then i`ll be ready to sell this bad boy for whats coming out on verizon for the holiday season!! :cool:
  5. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    While I wish they would do that, I think they realize they would lose a lot of business. Some people only buy there phones for sense.
  6. golfbiz

golfbiz Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I tried the X for 2 days at home and while a nice phone just too big for me, a few other things I didn't like but not important if you like it....I really wanted the inc instead but no availability....anyone interested in selling your inc? I could have gotten the X for the $199 deal so probably not going to pay huge sum for a used inc but thought I would ask. I haven't checked ebay yet as just decided I would not use my upgrade for an X after playing with it for a few days....thanks

I might also wait and look at the new fascinate with the 4" screen which seems more manageble for my tastes and probably will be around the same $199 deal...good luck with your new X...
  7. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Any reason why you don't like home replacements? That will solve your lag issue--use launcherpro or ADW.