• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some Newbie Questions

As someone who is new to the Android market I'm struggling to get to grips with it in a few areas. And, given that people go on about how custamisable it is I wonder whether what I'm trying to do is possible, it's just I don't know how to do it.

The screen lock seems to be my major cause of concern at the moment. I'm used to the screen locking automatically when not being used for any app (other than streaming video or sat nav) unless I triggered a specific app which would keep the screen on. This meant that I didn't need to worry about 'leaving things on'. On Android I find many apps and functiosn seem to want to keep the screen on for no good reason. Today I found I lost half my battery as I took a picture but didn't close the camera properly. Now I know that the obvious answer is to exit the app properly, but is there a way that should I take a picture then shut the case of my phone and put it in my pocket that the screen will lock rather than the camera think for the next 4 hours I might want to take a picture so keeping everything, including the display, active? similalry on other things like games etc. If you've ordinarially got the screen time out set for 15 seconds it seems ridiculous that a game would keep the screen on for a minute without you doing anything! Sometimes I used to find it annoying that the screen would disappear on me when doing things but now I find it evem more frustrating that it stays! eg I used the torch, I turned it off but didn't exit the app so had the main screen on for an hour or so albeit it is quite a dark screen so not using much power! I'd really like these things to time out! i.e. I'd like the phone settings to overide any app settings is this possible via an app or ROM?

Also, asked elsewhere but it looks like there is no solution, the ability to play video with the usb socket at the top so you could place the phone on a table against a book and watch tv but connected to the power. It seems a major design flaw that when watching streaming video the power has to be at the bottom!

There are a few other niggles I've got but these are the main ones for now! Any ideas?!

The screen timeout may be controlled at the application level. For instance, if you are watching a video, the video player should not time out because many videos last longer than the standard time out period. It appears that it is the decision of the developer of the app to decide how they handle screen time outs. If the app has an option where you can change the time out value, then you can. If not, then I'm afraid you are out of luck.

In your example of the camera, I can see it being useful to not have it time out. Sometimes, you don't know exactly when you need to take the shot, so you have your camera on. At one time, there was an orca whale that periodically jumps out of the water. I need the camera to be ready and not time out in order to snap the shot of the whale jumping out of the water. I'd be upset if the camera timed out just before I needed to take the shot.

Upvote 0
Thanks! so guess I'm stuck with it then!

Of course it makes perfect sense for a video not to time out, I wouldn't expect it to. But re the camera I've always seen these as a bit of fun nothing too serious albeit that phone cameras are getting better now. If I wanted to take a picture of something, taking our orca example I'd have my 'proper' camera. If I'm out and about and just want a quick and dirty picture I'd want my phone. And for that, I'd prefer it not to stay on in my pocket if I forgot to turn it off!

I guess it's horses for courses can't please all the people... etc... But a time out, even if it was a 5 minutes would be good!

Upvote 0
Also, asked elsewhere but it looks like there is no solution, the ability to play video with the usb socket at the top so you could place the phone on a table against a book and watch tv but connected to the power. It seems a major design flaw that when watching streaming video the power has to be at the bottom!

There are a few other niggles I've got but these are the main ones for now! Any ideas?!

The screen should automatically rotate, which ever way you turn it. That is, if you need the charger cable plugged in, rotate the phone clockwise (instead of anti-clockwise) so that the cable is on the top.

Not sure what streaming video app you may be using, but this works with the standard You Tube app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones