some newbish questions :3

1. yashi

yashi Member

Hi,

im thinking about buying an android tablet. I have an asus transformer prime with me atm which isnt mine tho.
    just for testing/ trying it out. And there are a few things that bother me.

For most of my problems i already found a solution, but:

Most programms in the google market cost money...a lot of them are direct ports from linux programs tho..as a linux user im used to get most software as opensource and i thought it would be the same on a android based plattform. am i totally wrong here? :/

in specific: torrentclients, stellarium.

I couldnt try the samba daemon on "my" tablet here so far, because i dont want to root someone elses tablet. Does this program have any drawbacks? or is it really like the linux samba deamon -> share folder done

atm its a close race between a tablet and a netbook. the tablet would be awesome for manga/reading/mobility, but im a bit afraid of the limitations.

-yashi

Advertisement
    :
  2. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

There are plenty of free apps in google play, ttorrent is a great client... does everything you need it to and it's free. Some apps you are used to using, you are gonna have to find an alternative if you want everything free but there is usually a good free alternative. Google is releasing it's own tablet called the Nexus 7, looks decent and will have wide support from developers so definitely worth having a look at it.

Edit: Try Google Sky Map as an alternative to stellarium
  3. yashi

yashi Member

yes the nexus looks really promising :)

Sadly..im from Germany

could you elaborate that? programs written for the nexus 7 wont work on other tablets?
    i still dont understand how compatible tablets are to each other. \:

-yashi
  4. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

Some programmes on Google play wont work on certain devices, usually because of the screen size, memory etc of the device. I have an HTC One X yet for some reason a game I'm really after just doesn't show on my phone as being on the Play marketplace, I even tried bypassing the marketplace and it just wouldn't work on my device which is one of the most powerful on the market. The Nexus 7 is by Google so you can put money on developers optimising games and apps for it, especially if it's a big seller.
  5. yashi

yashi Member

the nexus looks awesome
    but it doesnt have a microsd slot? wtf

that kinda breaks the package :&