• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some of my contacts are 1/2 missing...?

KronicMacrae

Lurker
Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

I just got a new phone (galaxy ace 2), and some of my contacts are missing, when I first used the phone and signed into my google account I thought all my contacts where there, but they're not, a few are missing from the list.

BUT when I type the missing contacts name into the text message "to" box they come up, with picture and everything...

Does anyone know why? And does anyone know how I can wipe the google synced contacts and start again?

Thanks

You probably have not saved all your contacts as Google contacts. Contacts can be stored in 3 places.

1. As Google contacts. These are stored on the phone and synced to your Google account (unless sync is turned off).
2. As Phone contacts. These are stored locally on the phone only and not synced.
3. As SIM contacts. Unlike 1+2 above, only names and one number per name can be stored. No addresses, email info, photos, etc.

Your contacts app can be set to display any or all of the above. If you see all your contacts on the phone but not in your Google account, some were saved as phone-only or SIM. If you see duplicates then you have those contacts saved in more than one place, for example as both 1+2, and your contacts app is set to display 1+2. So, you see duplicates. Changing the contacts app to display either 1 or 2 but not both eliminates the duplicate contact display.

See your phone manual for more details.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I've used Contact Remover and deleted them all, and typed them all in manually again.

The contact that was missing was defintely a google synced contact, because I only just got the phone and when typing her name into the message to box, her picture came up next to it, so can't be a SIM contact, and I've not added any contacts to this new phone.

Upvote 0
The fact that they come up when you type them in means they are there. You just have not chosen to display them, go into your contacts menu and hit contacts to display, there you will see where all your contacts populate from .

Just because you are not displaying them is irrelevant because your phone can still see them . I like to go into my google contacts on my computer and put everything in my contacts that I want there and I only display what's in that Google account, but you may be showing Facebook contacts and who knows what else based on what account you have installed .

Its up to you to decide which accounts you want to sync with I personally only want to see what's in my contacts list not once in all of my other accounts but that's up to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones