• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root some pointers on running juopunut bear from ubuntu

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
as those that have waited to s off have recently found,the unlimited team has stopped support for windows versions of its tools. while windows versions are floating around,the team WILL NOT support you via IRC or otherwise,if you use them.

having to root a friends phone over the weekend,i decided to use the linux download,as a new rooter just deciding to s off would have to.

first let me state that im not an expert with linux. id with you all here ;) id like to learn more about it,and use it,but for now,im not any better at it than your average windows user. im sure there are lots of folks out there whom are much,much more proficient,and better suited to write a "guide".

this is not really a step by step guide like some that ive written. this is intended to be more of a discussion,so those who are better at it,can help those of us who arent :D

my point is this: if *I* can do it,so can you! despite my activity in various forums here,and windows based guides ive written,i was as confused as anyone when i tried to do this. and now,on to it :)

the first step is to create a live cd of ubuntu 12.04 or higher,per unlimited's instructions.

do that here:
Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

its actually been awhile since ive done this,so i dont remember alot of those details. once you have your live cd burnt and booting,fire it up.

familiarize yourself with the tabs along the side,and the stuff in the top bar. youll see firefox web browser is included. you can find the terminal app in the top button"dash home". you may have to go to the second icon along the bottom,and check your "installed apps" to find it.

next,open up firefox browser. navigate to Unlimited.IO

download the appropriate version of controlbear.

now open your home folder,its the third one from the top on the left side. youll find your control bear release tar.gz folder in the "downloads" folder.

im sure there are other ways to skin the cat,but heres what i did:
-right click on the tar.gz folder
-click "extract here". this will extract or "untar" and create a new folder.
-along the left youll see the folders you have to work with-devices,computer,network. simply drag the untared(unzipped) folder to the home folder,under "computer"
-now click the home folder. this will open it,and youll see the downloads,control bear,etc. folders
-right click the control bear folder,click rename. rename it "jpbear" (note that this is not really neccessary,just made it a lil easier to type)

now heres the part that cofused me. you need to change to your jp bear directory. so open a terminal window. your prompt will be ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

now,since youve renamed your untared file,and moved it to the home directory,simply enter:

cd ~/jpbear

this will change your prompt to: ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$

awsome sauce! :smokingsomb:

now you can simply follow team unlimteds directions:

enter:
chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot

then when youre ready to run control bear:
sudo ./ControlBear

the program will start,it will look sorta like this:
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ [COLOR=Red]cd ~/jpbear[/COLOR]
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ [COLOR=Red]chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot[/COLOR]
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ [COLOR=Red]sudo ./ControlBear[/COLOR]
========= ControlBear 0.11 beta for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
              (c) Copyright 2012 Unlimited.IO               
      If you have acquired this software from anywhere      
      other than our website this version may be out of     
      date and unsupported. Please see our website for      
    instructions on how to use this tool and for support.   
 This program may not be redistributed or included in other 
   works without the express permission of Team Unlimited.  

www.unlimited.io    |    team@unlimited.io         

Starting up......
Testing ADB connection

a couple of personal tips prior to running control bear:
*use a small spare sd card for this,there is a chance your good one could be wiped,or damaged beyond reformatting(tho the chance of permanent damage is pretty small)
*look at the directions for the wire trick,obtain an appropriate piece of wire.
*open a window with the pin diagram and be looking at it while the tool is running in terminal. you do NOT WANT TO TOUCH THE WRONG PINS!
*open a window with the trouble shooting steps,just in case you need them.

thats about it... ill add to this if can think of anything else,otherwise holler if you have questions,and by all means post up if you are an experienced ubuntu user and have something to add! :)

Nicely done, Scotty! :) Here's my inputs from another Unlimited s-off thread -

Please read through instructions a few times before starting. If you're not familiar with Linux, it will sound like a confusing foreign language at first. That's ok. Don't panic. As you go through the steps, you'll find its easier having seen this stuff once already.

Ok, here are my tips:

You want rev 12.04 LTS, linked above, 32-bit.

Booting is not fast. Even when it looks to be hanging up, give a few minutes.

The only snag people seem to hit sometimes is getting networking up so give it a test run, before your s-off session, and if it causes trouble, it's still fixable. (I understand the newer Windows will shut down the NIC before shutdown and you many have to go into device manager to stop that - again, we have a thread on that, I'm not a Windows guy.)

Reasonable to expect that you'll get a driver pop-up and then a lan card icon in your upper right. Tap that to config your wifi drivers if it comes up. At that point, I prefer to tap the empty wifi icon and uncheck wifi, give it half a minute and then repeat to check it back on. That seems to scan more quickly for networks in my case.

If network problems persist, see -

http://androidforums.com/computers/646562-ethernet-problems-in-ubuntu-12-04-a.html

Go for s-off when you have everything working.

Pro tip: put the Unlimited links and any others you'll need (including this thread) in an gmail to yourself, and then visit your gmail with Firefox to get to those links.

Launching Firefox is easy, it's an icon on the left panel.

You can get a terminal via control-alt-T. It's ok to open more than one.

Tab key auto-completes on command-line, use it to save typing.

Watch out for usb 3.0 ports - they've given us trouble on other s-off work.

Unless Team Unlimited says otherwise, and I didn't have time to check sorry, do not attempt this on Mac hardware.

Make sure that your phone is fully charged before starting.

~~~~~~~~

That's all I can think of at the moment. Scotty, ok to just fold this in above if you think it's a better fit that way and then delete this post, fine by me. :)

PS - unpacking the tgz file in a terminal window is easy, but I didn't want to toss that in and confuse your instructions. Let me know if you want that added. As you say, any way to skin the cat is fine.

Upvote 0
Here's how I handle that stuff in a terminal window.

1. Download your JuopunutBear from Unlimited as shown above.

2. The file will be in your home directory under a folder named Downloads.

3. Remember, you can use the tab-key as a shortcut to complete commands.

4. Open terminal after download using control-alt-T

5. change directory - aka cd - to downloads

cd Downloads

6. Extract the files from your package using the tab-key, don't add the ().

I grabbed ControlBearRelease_vigor_GB_LINUX.tgz for my example.

tar xzf Control(tab-key)

7. Verify the files are there using the list sets - aka ls - command.

ls -1

Like this, remember the $ is your prompt, do not enter the $ -

$ ls -1
ControlBear
ControlBearRelease_vigor_GB_LINUX.tgz
MD5SUM
adb
fastboot
jb_boot.img
jb_hboot.zip

Then, follow the instructions as above.

chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot

sudo ./ControlBear

~~~~~~~~~

Remember, Linux is case-sensitive, upper and lower case matter.

~~~~~~~~~

~/Downloads
$HOME/Downloads
Downloads

... are all the same place from your home directory, just fyi in case you've read other Linux guides. ;)

Upvote 0
Couple questions. Does the download for the trick include All files I need (adb, fastboot, md5checker, etc) or do I need to track all that down. Also, since I'm just going to boot to Linux, where do the downloads go? If I restart do they simply disappear or what?

md5 is built-in to Linux - just say:

md5sum filename-you-want

... at the command line.

The payload (tgz file) contains -

ControlBear
MD5SUM
adb
fastboot
jb_boot.img
jb_hboot.zip
The MD5SUM file contains the right values, get to it with:

cat MD5SUM

Here's what mine (Rezound/Gingerbread) contained:

Code:
5e2311d6a8a07709da30a1901970026c  ControlBear
52c58d8f17f4cee08ff4f7fd313839a4  jb_boot.img
d31b19f1bd2735e58a9df46ff807ca95  jb_hboot.zip
Think of the LiveCD as operating out of a ram disk. When you reboot, the downloaded files WILL disappear.

I did an Unlimited s-off for my wife's phone last December. Even though I'm no stranger to this sort of thing, I did a dry run myself.

More work? Yeah, guess so - more like more time. I know this stuff pretty well cold, but by doing a dry run, I was able to go through my part confident a half-hour later, having just run it (right up to the actual command to get s-off).

That's just me, but I recommend it because I think it's a good discipline. Get comfortable where things are, that you have the basics working.

Just my opinion. ;) :)

PS - using Scotty's graphical method, your files will end up under a folder named jpbear. Using my command-line syntax they'll end up in your Downloads folder.

Use whichever you trust or feel more comfortable with.

Upvote 0
md5 is built-in to Linux - just say:

md5sum filename-you-want

... at the command line.

The payload (tgz file) contains -

The MD5SUM file contains the right values, get to it with:

cat MD5SUM

Here's what mine (Rezound/Gingerbread) contained:

Code:
5e2311d6a8a07709da30a1901970026c  ControlBear
52c58d8f17f4cee08ff4f7fd313839a4  jb_boot.img
d31b19f1bd2735e58a9df46ff807ca95  jb_hboot.zip
Think of the LiveCD as operating out of a ram disk. When you reboot, the downloaded files WILL disappear.

I did an Unlimited s-off for my wife's phone last December. Even though I'm no stranger to this sort of thing, I did a dry run myself.

More work? Yeah, guess so - more like more time. I know this stuff pretty well cold, but by doing a dry run, I was able to go through my part confident a half-hour later, having just run it (right up to the actual command to get s-off).

That's just me, but I recommend it because I think it's a good discipline. Get comfortable where things are, that you have the basics working.

Just my opinion. ;) :)

PS - using Scotty's graphical method, your files will end up under a folder named jpbear. Using my command-line syntax they'll end up in your Downloads folder.

Use whichever you trust or feel more comfortable with.

My job actually involves quite a bit of work in Unix and progress, so the Linux commands don't look very foreign. I'll probably play around with your method having my phone not plugged, then boot back to windows, ruu to a stock rooted rom, then reboot to Linux and go to town.

*EDIT* any suggestions on best practice wire?
*EDIT2*. When I cat MD5SUM, that simply views the file. So then I would want to md5sum each file name to confirm it right?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
on the wire youll find alot of folks recomending a paperclip(insulated or wrapped with electrical tape) but i personally cannot imagine that being easy to work with,and wouldnt try it. ive see others use smaller wire from piece of coaxial cable,or something along those lines. i honestly dont know what the wire i used is intended for... it was on a roll that i dont even know where came from :eek:

just find something of appropriate size that fits into the pinhole :)

and many thanks to EM for your contributions :cool:

Upvote 0
on the wire youll find alot of folks recomending a paperclip(insulated or wrapped with electrical tape) but i personally cannot imagine that being easy to work with,and wouldnt try it. ive see others use smaller wire from piece of coaxial cable,or something along those lines. i honestly dont know what the wire i used is intended for... it was on a roll that i dont even know where came from :eek:

just find something of appropriate size that fits into the pinhole :)

and many thanks to EM for your contributions :cool:

I've got some regular speaker wire for a home theater system in my basement... Think that would work?

Upvote 0
Not sure.... Would stranded cause problems? If both ends are twisted well and tight?

They wouldn't in theory.

I dislike stranded wire because I've often found that it's very easy to get just that little broken strand falling off and shorting something when it's catastrophic - Murphy's Law.

Then again - I've worked most of my life in and out of electrical labs so I've seen old Murphy at work way too often.

So long as due caution on that risk of shorting is exercised, a wire is a wire.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Does anyone know why the wire trick? I mean.... HTC couldn't have designed it that way could they? That just seems weird...

actually,most(maybe all) qualcom processers operate similarly. grounding the pin is simply putting it into download mode so that the partitions can be written with no write protection from an external source(the sd card). other devices have just been able to use different exploits to disable the write protection,and write the secureflag,or install a patched or eng hboot(not all s off htc's are radio s off)

it seems wierd,but its really not,its IMO a really clever solution :D

for what its worth,ive done over a dozen phones with the same piece of stranded wire. as you said,just make sure its wound good and tight,and not too big to fit into the hole where it needs to. :)

Upvote 0
With each successful s-off, HTC changes the bootloader to close the known exploit.
This particular exploit sets a hardware state by jumpering a signal to work.

HTC can change anything they want, they have the proper tools and keys, they don't need exploits.

We do.

If it makes you feel any better, my first full root with s-off on an HTC in 2010 took 78 steps.

Upvote 0
lol my first htc root experience was running a one click app :D (droid eris) also in 2010

the second wasnt much harder,just had to run unrevoked on the PC (htc incredible)

my third one required learning adb and using the command window,and downgrading to a build where write protection could be disabled,and an eng hboot written( htc thunderbolt) it was quite a few steps. i loved it. got my juices flowing to conquer more devices :D

what was your first root,EM?

Upvote 0
I've read about the Eris, that was straightforward. My first root was with a Samsung Moment, my first HTC was the Evo, June 2010, and an engineering hboot for s-off. After that, a few one-clicks, and my final trick was to get locked in to Qualcomm high speed usb download mode and recover with Unlimited s/w running Ubuntu on a Mac. LoL I insisted that I had to see if it could be done, I don't like hearing "can't." It can but I don't recommend it.

And for those going the stranded wire route, match the twist to avoid breaking strands, it's usually clockwise.

Which I still want to be on record that solid core is safer. :)

Upvote 0
LoL I insisted that I had to see if it could be done, I don't like hearing "can't." It can but I don't recommend it.

ha! you are a rebel :D

im the same way really... ive tried all sorts of things to get radio s off for me htc flyer,and recently i wanted to try facepalm on the rezound,but mmcblk0p4 and 5 are write protected,so i couldnt change the CID :mad: i may turn my secure flag on and see if it works(since im allready supercid with s off) for S&Gs.

i remember how confused i was when i first got in to this,lol... so in addition to the ocasion outside the box antics i also try and do things from "proper" perspective... so i can provide better help to those just getting into it :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones