• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root some pointers on running juopunut bear from ubuntu

So once I do this..... Then what? I mean all I really care about is being able to flash roms without the use of a computer. So if i have Amon Ra installed am I good to go, or do I need to put a custom hboot on?

jpbear will install a custom hboot,but you dont need it. once youre s off,youre good to go :)

actually,thats not 100% true... the process can sometimes leave you with wonky data,so if you experience that:

*make a backup!
-run newest ruu(4.03.605.2)
-clear storage from hboot
-reboot
-verify 4g operation
-reinstall recovery
-restore backup

:)

Upvote 0
jpbear will install a custom hboot,but you dont need it. once youre s off,youre good to go :)

actually,thats not 100% true... the process can sometimes leave you with wonky data,so if you experience that:

*make a backup!
-run newest ruu(4.03.605.2)
-clear storage from hboot
-reboot
-verify 4g operation
-reinstall recovery
-restore backup

:)

Your saying the s-off process can leave with wonky data?

Here's my plan. I'm currently running customer rom so.
Backup current rom then:
1 relock
2 run ruu
3 unlock
4 root stock
5 run s-off program
6 reboot, make sure s-off and everything is working
7 boot into stock rooted, ensure I can call/Internet etc.
8 reboot to recovery and restore my backup.

9+ enjoy s-off by flashing any new rom that comes along I want to try without waiting for a pc.

That sound right? Once s-off I can just boot to recovery and flash or restore or anything correct?

Upvote 0
Basically, yes those steps are good. If you do experience 4G drops, then you'll want to do to fix above. I always incorporate that into the process when i s off these phones for friends. You can always simply flash back to stock recovery rather than running the whole ruu. The important thing is that the stock recovery is in place when you do the clear storage from hboot.

Upvote 0
Well I'm temporarily holding off on this. I got a usb stick and tried to boot to ubuntu on my wife's (only windows) laptop. The splash screen with the 5 dots hung and never did anything. I eventually got to a command prompt And was able to find the shutdown command. My wife is in grad school and has a massive project saved on her computer that she's been working on for weeks and is due monday. My heart dropped that it wouldn't boot back into windows, so until it's done, I'm done haha.

Upvote 0
If I may... I think the following may be helpful here, possibly good to put into two reserved posts, I've separated them with ~ characters. Cheers! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Can I use an existing Ubuntu/Linux setup?

Yes, providing it's within spec.

Various Linux distributions vary a little on their support libraries, so it will have to be Ubuntu 12.04 or above.

As memory serves, some of the Unlimited tools for other phones will accommodate 64-bit Ubuntu if you add some 32-bit libraries but not Juopunut.

So, the other machine has to be 32-bit Ubuntu as specified.

How to tell if you have 32-bit Ubuntu -

Enter the following command in the terminal window:

uname -a

If you see x86_64 in the return, it's 64-bit, if you don't, it's 32-bit.

If you don't see Ubuntu in the return, it's not a supported machine.

How to check which version you are running -

Enter the following command in the terminal window:

lsb_release -a

The banner output is user friendly, the revision is clearly marked.

~~~~~~~~~~

How do I get out of Linux?

To reboot your PC, enter the following in the terminal command window -

shutdown -r now

To halt your PC instead, enter -

shutdown -h now

Most people will want to use the first command and reboot back into Windows.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I just want to say thank you for this thread. I just recently got a replacement Rezound after cracking the screen on my old one. Of course this one came preloaded with 4.05.605.14 and was S-on. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get the ubunto working right. I am ok with DOS but never experienced any Linux type stuff before and had absolutely no idea what to do as this was new territory for me. I followed your superb instructions and now my new phone is S-off, a locked bootloader, and rooted. Thank you Scotty85 for all you do for us...

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
if you have found a download for the windows tool,id advise against using that. if you have not followed their directions exactly,they will not offer you any support in their irc channel. and they will not be nice about it :eek: its really not hard to get ubuntu running on a live cd and run the tool from there :)

Hey Scottie your ubuntu guide is great, however I cannot get past this below per the terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot
chmod: cannot access `ControlBear': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `adb': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `fastboot': No such file or directory

I do have all these filed in this directory including the mini-adb unzipped, yet I still get this when running the "chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot" command. Please advise....thanks

Upvote 0
Hey Scottie your ubuntu guide is great, however I cannot get past this below per the terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot
chmod: cannot access `ControlBear': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `adb': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `fastboot': No such file or directory

I do have all these filed in this directory including the mini-adb unzipped, yet I still get this when running the "chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot" command. Please advise....thanks

for some reason,it cannot find the files. make sure they are not inside another folder inside jpbear

maybe start from the top,copy and paste your enitre session,and get us some screen shots of your home and jpbear folders

Reactions: ropnjessi
Upvote 0
I know seems strange, when I get home tonight I will verify. How do you take screen shots with Ubuntu?

Thanks

good question,lol... ive no idea,im not very profficient at it at all. take them with your phone or another device if you have to.
Ahhh... I can answer this one. No different than in Windows... use the Print Screen button and paste into an application like GIMP, or use a third party tool. 4 Methods to Take Screenshot Capture in Ubuntu Linux

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones