Some PreSale questions about the incredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Ncage1974

Ncage1974 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys might be picking up an incredible in the next few days and have some questions:

1) The app i almost must have is a tethering app. I have a BB tour and use the "tether app" formerly "tetherberry". I have did a google search and found links saying you have to root your android phone to tether (which i don't want to do) and found links stating that tether apps have been added to the marketplace before and then pulled later but then i go to my local verizon store today to look at the incredible. I search the marketplace from the phone and i quickly found some tethering apps (easytether is i think what one was called). Whats the scoup here? Do these tethering apps work without rooting your phone and are the descent?

2) I'm trying to find the best deal i can since i will be buying it unsubsidized (my contract isn't over). The best ive found is at amazon which is $529 which isn't that great of a deal but i won't have to pay taxes like i would through verizon. Would you recommend still buying through verizon? Ive heard of verizon being very good when people had issues with their phone. I don't know if they would do this if you didn't actually buy the phone from then. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Ncage

Advertisement
  2. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

PDAnet, works great. I am using it on my laptop at Starbucks right now. It uses your data plan so there are no extra charges from Verizon. There is no need to "Root" the phone, just install PDANet on your computer and plug the phone in when it tells you to and it will install automatically on the phone.

3. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

To answer your questions:

1. There are tethering apps that do work and you do not need root. I currently use PDA net.

2. When is your contract up? If you are one year into your contract or close to it you can upgrade early for the 2 year price (199.99). There is a 20.00 early upgrade fee. My one year is actually tomorrow but I called and had them move my one year up. I received my incredible April 29th. If you are at the one year mark and you call, make sure you ask them if you can use promo code smart30. That will take $30.00 off the phone, but I am not sure if it has expired.

Good Luck!!

4. aw1974

aw1974 Well-Known Member

Are you up for an annual upgrade? I got a new phone 10.5 months ago and they bumped it up so I could get it on 4/29 when it came out.

5. Ncage1974

Unfortunately i got the tour last august. I don't think they will do anything for me. I want a dang phone i can use. I totally hate the BB Tour. The apps suck, the web on it sucks, the only thing good about it is the messaging part which i don't use that much. The only thing i use the dang thing for is tethering.

6. aw1974

aw1974 Well-Known Member

I would call customer service and see what they can do for you. While you're still in your 1 yr warranty, I think they would rather subsidize your phone than give you a new (refurb)...if you were having probs with your Tour. It's worth a shot and will save you over $300.

7. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

For tethering, there's actually an easy way to tether without installing pdanet or spending a dime. Simply changing a connection username does the trick. Do a search, you'll find it, and it works great!

8. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

If your only using for tether why on earth would you spend 500 bones?

9. Ncage1974

Ahh its ok. I might use the early upgrade to get a Windows 7 phone because i'm pretty sure i'm going to get one (i want to develop for the platform). I'll just bite right now and spend the money. Hopefully i can get near $200 for my BB Tour (since its in perfect condition) on ebay.

But what about the decision whether to get the phone through verizon and pay taxes or get it through amazon?

10. Ncage1974

Because the only reason i don't use it is because the BB Tour sucks. I don't know if you ever tried to do anything on the web with a BB but its a horrible experience. If it was an emergency i would probably try to get through it but it would have to be damn important. I want functionality (apps/web). Otherwise just as long as i have my tether app and google voice i will be happy.

11. bhipp1983

bhipp1983 Active Member

I just sent them an email and they moved my upgrade date up a month so I could order it today. Never hurts to ask