some q's and ideasSupport

Last Updated:

1. motherdubber

motherdubber Member This Topic's Starter

I have tried 'sending a contact' with the G1 but found no option to do this, am i missing something or is copying and pasting the contact's number the only option i have?

Will it ever be possible to use the G1 to enable a laptop computer access to 3G internet by connecting them together via USB?

Where is microsoft office file support (word, excel etc.)? Would anyone else agree being able to view these file types is crucial to any serious/business phone?

I've seen a dedicated sat nav application on another smart phone, including the audible 'turn left, turn right' instructions - would the G1 be capable of supporting this type of app?

What happened the BioWallet app? Did anyone get hold of it? I fancy scanning my retinas and pretending to be off Demolition Man :eek:

Advertisement
  2. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

1. what are you trying to send contact info to? need more info. remember that your contacts are sync with your gmail account.
    2. tetherbot is an app that lets you share your 3g with laptop. It is pretty tricky to set up and there are forums about that. officially your not supposed to share your 3g so this is app will probably never be in the app market, whether it's tetherbot or the another version (which will hopefully be easier to use).
    3. there are a couple of companies developing ms office suites for android. one I believe is called davits or something. Right now you can upload your ms documents to google docs and then you can view them on your phone.
    4. from what I've seen those dedicated nav apps costs a certain amount of money per month. Andnav2 is a turn by turn nav app that is free. However it's not available for the u.s. yet. Also, as of now google won't let their maps be used for turn by turn nav this means that apps like andnav2 have to a different source for their maps which is not as good. Garmin recently signed on to the open handset alliance so I'm hoping we see them release something to the market.
    5. I hear ya with biowallet. the real question for me is, will I use it? With so much information "in the cloud" and the open source nature of android the answer is that I probably won't.:cool:

3. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

That's only if you assume this is supposed to be a business phone. What business device needs Youtube and Amazon mp3 as standard features?

It's a google phone. You want a business phone, get a blackberry, they're made for business.

Android is open source, so it's not a business phone. It's an Anything-You-Want-It-To-Be-Phone.

4. motherdubber

motherdubber Member This Topic's Starter

randel thank you for your help, the tip on uploading office files was most informative! To elaborate on point 1; i was intending to send a contact via SMS - i still havent worked out a way of doing this.

i'll do some reading on tetherbot and andnav2...

punkzanyj i take your point that maybe the g1 isn't attempting to be a business phone (though I believe some of the google developers may question this notion) but whatever market a phone is aimed at surely covering all bases is the best idea. For instance if, for whatever reason, a business executive wanted to view something on youtube and the phone can't do it- it may not be a masive problem but it says something about the phone, the same goes for word docs etc. the best phone will have ALL eventualities catered for, that way no one can complain.

I cant get a blackberry because im now in an 18 month contract with tmobile/google!