• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some questions about changing my MicroSD card

el_jefe

Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

I just bought a 16GB card to replace my 8GB (wanted a 32GB, but still to expensive...).
Before the actual replacing, I'm still having some questions:

1) Is it necessary to make it a goldcard again? I used to goldcard to debrand my phone and to get the official updates. Meanwhile I also rooted my phone and installed a custom rom. So I won't install official updates anyway. Therefore I would think the goldcard is not needed... Am I right?

2) On my 8GB I made a 512MB ext3 partition with RomManager, but I read here somewhere that that isn't the best way to go. So now I want to create a 1GB partition via GParted, but never done that before. Where can I find a good step by step tutorial?

3) Assuming that I succeed in creating this 1GB partition, won't it cause a problem for the nandroid restore? After all, the backup was created with a 512MB partition in place and should be restored on a 1GB partition...

1) you dont have to make your new card gold, but keep the old one. Theyre good for recovery purposes, if you need to run an RUU that isnt from your carrier

2) Find a post by "LECTER" and look in his sig. Or read my apps2sd+ FAQ, but Lecter's video goes into more detail.

3) Nope, It doesnt back up the entire partition. Just the data within it. It will restore to any partition that is large enough

Reactions: el_jefe
Upvote 0
Just finished copying all data from my old 8Gb class 2 Kingston card to my new 16Gb class 4 Emtec card.
I noticed during copying that it all went rather slowly...
When everything was done, I ran a SD speed test and my new card seems to have a write speed of only 1Mb/s where it should at least be 4Mb/s.
Can this be caused by creating a gold card of it? Don't think so because I did the same for my 8Gb card class 2 and that one got a write speed of 5Mb/s!!
Can it be caused by partitioning it via Gparted?
Or is it just a faulty card? Don't think it is a fake as I bought it in our company store.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones