Some questions before buying new Tattoo

Last Updated:

1. Makpoc

Makpoc Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, guys,

I'm considering changing my phone (quite old Motorola) with something from the 21 century :)

While looking for one (HTC), I found, that only Tattoo can fit in my budget.

There are, however, couple of question I'd like to ask:

Does Tattoo support offline GPS navigation (and if so - can you, please, suggest a app for this). Most of what google has to say about this is related to Google maps (obviously), but it looks like this can't be done there. And i really don't see the point having a GPS antenna that requires Wi-fi/data connection in addition

Is the lower resolution / screen really such a pain for the apps in the market. Are there any problems with the all-day apps, that one needs?

I might have a chance to buy a second hand Iphone 3g 16 for 40-50 euro higher price. Can you advise what's the better choice? I'm not sure about the condition of the iphone, but lets say it has only cosmetic problems, which doesn't bother me.

Any help will be highly appreciated :)

Regards
    Makpoc

Advertisement
  2. alek_73

alek_73 Well-Known Member

I got the Tattoo at the beginning of the year and now the situation on the market is much better, a lot of application and games available.

About GPS navigation without internet connection, there is a paid app on the market (I didn't try it)
    CoPilot Live Android: ALK Technologies

The Android default web browser and good, so you can have a decent navigation via WiFi, despite the small resolution of the screen.

3. Makpoc

Thanks, I'll take a look at CoPilot. The thing is that where I'd need GPS there most probably won't be any Wi-Fi, and I can't depend on the mobile operator, because of the prices.

4. avdw77

avdw77 New Member

Alhough more and more applications become available through the market, not all popular applications are supported yet. If this is a deal breaker, I would advice you to go for a device with a higher resolution. Android is a great platform for mobile devices. Regarding navigation, you might like to consider Sygic Navigation. This program also works with the Tattoo.

5. Makpoc

I suppose I won't need any exotic problems but it would be nice to have some documents reader, video player etc.

This reminds me - from what I read, Tattoo does not support divx/xvid formats. Is this software limitation of Android, or is it something else? If the problem is in the OS - do you know if there are plans about future support?

Also does it support java and flash?

IPhone is out of the game for now, but as nature's law - the balance must be kept, so I've accidentally discovered Samsung i900 (omnia). I'd really like to try Android, and in addition stay as far away from MS as I can, but the Omnia looks like a better phone for the same price?

I'm not sure if I'm not going off topic/forum. Sorry if I am!

6. ArmadaTattoo

ArmadaTattoo Well-Known Member

I have to say I am very happy with my Tattoo. I have media player (Meridian) document manager (DocumentsToGo) as well as loads of other useful and not so useful apps.

The native browser does not support Flash, it does some simple falh pages but for Flash programs I have run into problems. The new Opera browser is very nice and fast though.
    There is a built in YouTube player which works great.

I havent tried Xvid so cannot comment.

Overall it is a very good little device, the screen size doesn't bother me. At least it didnt until my mate put his HTC Hero next to it!

7. hetomlinson

hetomlinson Member

If you know the programs that you want go over to the get jar website and choose htc tattoo as your phone. You can then have a look at apps that you will be able to get hold of easily.

Be aware though that there are a number of apps that do work on the tattoo unofficially. There is a thread on this forum that lists some of them.

This should help you determine if the lack of certain apps is a problem. While there have been a few apps that I really wanted that are not available in almost all cases I have found a great alternative or I have contacted the developer and they have told me that it is compatible with tattoo.

Now I have had it for awhile I would be a bit scared by the amount of apps that I would download if there were not some restriction ( even if this is decreasing now).