• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some Questions: Looking to Move to Droid 2 but Not Sure if it Does All I Need

Edit: This message is under construction. My script blocker seems to have munged the text. Repairing now.

Edit2: Fixed

Hello all,

I am interested in moving to the Droid 2 from my blackberry curve 8330. I like my curve in that has been incredibly useful for keeping myself organized. However, it's gotten a bit beat up and showing signs of imminent failure. I'm thinking it's time to move to something more modern but there are certain key features I have with my curve that I would hate to lose. I was wondering if there are solutions that could fill the following needs and was hoping some could help guide my choice.

I think you all in advance for any advice you can offer. Please note that I have been trying to RTFM as much as I can. I have many more requirements that I have been able to verify I can fulfill but these last few seem to be eluding me. Some apps seem to do a subset of some of these requirements but not all. I was hoping that feedback from this forum might help me with these last few items.

Thanks

- I currently have an app called message alerts that let's me do the following: display a popup and custom tone when I get an Email, SMS or call from a specific user, a specific subject, if an Email is directly addressed or CC'ed to me. The popup has a snooze feature so I can be reminded to answer or otherwise act on the Email,SMS or call.

- I have an app that displays the LED in different colors and patterns based upon who has recently called, emailed, IM'ed or SMS'ed me.

- I have an app called "onto" that lets me put an Email into my task list or calendar for later action.

- I have an app that records my voice for 10 seconds then sends the voice message to a pre-defined Email address or later reminds me to listen to the message. The app needs to do this as soon as opened so no button presses are required. (great when driving for hands-free "need to remember" moments but hands are not free to create a calendar entry ).

- I have an app that shows a simple menu for accessing apps for quick access from an assigned button. I guess on the droid I would need to re-assign the camera shutter button for this purpose since there are no other real buttons.

If you have read this far then I think you much for taking the time.

With some tinkering, you can get it to do all of these things, but I am not completely sure there are tools out there ready to go for some of these items. If you are willing to spend a little time retraining yourself, you might be able to make use of some of the voice commands that were added to Froyo as far as your memos are concerned.

Most android phones have the ability to customize the LED color and blink rate.

There are some apps that will map things to the camera button and some things let you perform certain actions by double tapping the Home button, but the other buttons are difficult to assign to other things but you still could use keyboard shortcuts.

There's a lot you can accomplish by using the app builder or you might be able to convince someone to make the tools you wish. The problem being: app builder apps aren't as optimized as java apps built in the SDK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones