Some questions @ the new EpicSupport

Last Updated:

1. pattonthegen

pattonthegen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I went and picked up the new Epic this weekend for my mother (she sent from a TP2 to the Epic), and just have a few questions about the phone.

Here are a few questions:

The only way to answer a phone call is on screen correct? You can slide the call over to answer, ignore w/text...and one other option. So there is no answer/end key actually located on the phone its self?

I have noticed that from time to time 4G will show up as 4Gzzz which i guess means you are not doing anything that requiers a data connection at that moment, or that you are not picking up a 4G at all (at best i have seen her 4G show up with 2 - 3 bars, but normally 1 - 2 bars)?

If no 4G can be detected at any given time does it automatically change over to 3G? And if so does interrupt your data connection to do that?

I have noticed a few times while trying to do various things (like the using the market, or checking email ect..) that she will get a message that pops up saying the network is busy please try again. Now granted most of the time i hit the retry a few times and it finally connects...is this known problem? is there any way to avoid this?

This phone has a front and back camera which is cool, but i noticed that the front facing camera does not have a flash or even a light so its useless in dark condtions or at night time correct?

Is there anyway to set up Skype on the Epic? she has it set up on her laptop, but i could not find anything in the market for Skype, and according to the internet Skype does not work with the Epic (soon to come to the Evo though). Is this correct?

With the built in 7 home screens on the epic is there any reason to use a home app from the market like launcher pro?

I noticed something in another thread that said something about extended batteries for this phone. So does sprint sell them or anyone suggest a good site to buy them?

If an app install from the market does that mean the app will work with the epic? For example I went and downloaded Handcent SMS app from the market for her phone, and it seems to work just fine. I was suprised because i did not think it would work with her phone just yet seeing how the epic just came out.

*******I can not get her gmail to sync******* I have the auto sync feature turned off (like i do on my sprint moment), but when i go to accounts & sync, then select her gmail account, then select sync contacts it thinks for about 1 sec but does nothing. When i do the same thing on my sprint moment it takes a few sec's (15-30) to sync my gmail contact from my phone to my gmail account on my computer. Is there something i am doing wrong with the Spic? This is very important to figure out so she does not have to worry about losing her contacts. Its one of the best features of the andorid based phones if you ask me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for any help yall can share.

p.s. After playing with this phone over the holiday weekend all i can say is WOW...its blazing ass fast, the screen is out of this world, the live wall paper which my moment does not support its super cool, the keyboard is great, swype is freaking awsome....just all around an amazing phone.

My wife is due for a upgrade (she currently has the sprint htc snap) and this will be the phone i get her. I have a ways to go before i can get the full upgrade which sucks because i would buy this phone in a heart beat!!!

Any talk about a upgrade from 2.2? If so any news on what goodies might be with the new upgrade?

Advertisement
  2. pattonthegen

So no one has any feedback for the questions i have about the Epic 4G ???

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

See above in bold

4. pattonthegen

So does anyone else have any info about the questions i had?

p.s. one new question i have:
    I downloaded handcent on my mothers Epic, however when ever you use the short cut key for tex messaging on the app drawr (were is shows contacts, phone, messaging ect...) it pulls up the phones default text messaging not handcent. I know on my phone (Moment) i can set those short cuts to what ever i want, and i can tell it what to use as default i.e. handcent vs phones default messaging. i don't see any way to do that on the epic. Is there any way to change what shows up on the app drawer and set stuff as default?

5. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

Download Launcher Pro and it will give you more options, including the one you seek. Your Moment and the Epic are more similar than you may have noticed. They are both running android 2.1, so anything your moment can do the Epic can likely do too, but probably much faster and better.

6. pattonthegen

So other than using something like launcher pro there is no way to change the keys on the app drawer or set them to use a specific program by default?

7. pattonthegen

So is there no way to set up skype with the epic?

Also something i heard today about the epic that i was not sure about. I know you are forced to pay the extra $10 with the 4g phones which i think is total crap on sprints part, but know i hear you also have to pay an extra $29.99 per month if you want to use the hotspot feature the epic is famous for????? is this true????