• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some reflections on the size of the Note 2

whitecollar

Clericus Geekicus
Aug 28, 2010
After using the Note 2 for about a month, I have discovered that for myself the size of the phone is good in most ways.

• I rarely have to re-size web pages, (partially because there are more mobile friendly sites and interfaces). Resizing was one of the reasons I used to reach for my tablet instead of my phone if both were at hand. With this phone I rarely have that very unpleasant experience of constantly having to zoom in and then zoom out and move and then zoom in again that I used to on my previous phone (Droid 4).
  • I never feel that I really need my reading glasses in order to comfortably sit and read the phone (or that I can only fit 3 words on the screen at time because the previous phones screens were so small)
  • I can still carry the phone with me the same place I always have: my front right pocket.
  • Watching a movie might actually be a pleasure (rather than an act of desperation when trapped in a hotel room or plane or something and really bored--which it was on smaller screens).
  • I am more worried about dropping it. This comes up particularly when I'm out in public carrying it in one hand. At the supermarket, for example, I use Upvise for my shopping list and I'm aware that with the phone in my left (non-dominant) hand someone could bump me and even with my large hands it could go flying across the room.

I have the original Note, which isn't that much smaller and like you, I love the fact that the screen real estate makes using the net, YouTube and Movies etcetera a real pleasure. I do have it in a case and have only dropped it once with no real damage save a few scratches and bumps to the outer casing.

I also had a Note equipped with a Commuter case and Glas.t screen protector. Dropped it on carpet and another time on hard tile floor. The case did it's job and the screen protector still going strong. Passed it to my in-law who is into art. At least I found it a good home.

I found the Note 2 easier to handle with one hand than the Note. Both with Commuter cases equipped. Glad I equipped the Note 2 with a case as well as I dropped it too onto a hard surface too.

Watching my life with the phone flash before me during the drops was never a fun experience. :p

Upvote 0
I love the size and don't know how I will ever adjust to a smaller phone again. The screen is easier on my fast approaching middle age eyes. When my coworkers want to check out the latest/funniest Youtube video, they always want to view it on my phone which they refer to as "the widescreen", lol!

I have no problem talking with the phone to my ear. However, I mostly use my LG Tone bluetooth headset to talk anyway.

I have the UAG cover and the phone still doesn't feel too large for my female average sized hands. I am hooked :)

Upvote 0
Congrats to those who recently got this phone. I've had mine since launch day (Sprint) and have no intentions of ever going backwards in screen size.

I was in a store last week minding my business and waiting for my mushroom chicken cheese steak when another customer went in on me about the size of my phone. He seemed so upset about it and for the life of me I've no idea why MY phone mattered to him so much.

Once he was done all I could think to say was his phone must be smaller than an iPhone. When he pulled it out his pocket I said I'd be mad looking at a 3" screen too. That'll teach him to jump in someone's face for no good reason.

Voice commands- I use that a lot for taking pictures. Makes maneuverability less awkward.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I'm probably the only oddball that wanted a bigger phone. Used dumphones and my first 'smartphone' was a SE Vivaz Pro. When I had that my thoughts were, "next phone needs to have a BIGGER screen." Than I saw the Note and thought my prayers were answered. Loved the size and portability. Then the Note 2 came and I couldn't resist it either. :D

Upvote 0
i use the phone's one-handed features so the size is rarely a problem, if ever. the only time i've been bothered by the size was when i tried using swype and it was too big to thumb across. if swype or samsung made it compatible with one-handed mode, there would be zero issues. apps will likely be designed with big phones as a consideration, one-handed modes will probably be a standard option for apps as the bigger phones become more commonplace. there's no reason to sacrifice screen size just because you want to use some features with one hand, that's a software fix.

i remember when everyone was saying that the htc evo was "too big" with a 4.3" screen. i always said "too big for what?", which i rarely got a coherent answer to. i was telling everyone that it wasn't big enough!

as long as it fits comfortably in my pants pocket, it can't be too big. i think 5"-6" screens will be the new standard, there are just too many benefits to having a big screen... skinny-jeans hipsters may disagree though.

Upvote 0
:D I don't know how many times I've read that or something similar to that on various forums. I bet >80% of Note 2 users went through the exact same thing.

LOL! I'm in the 20%.
I upgraded from the Epic 4G Touch and spent a lot of my time on a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 so 5.5" fit me just fine.
If the Note 2 had been bigger I would've been ok with that as well.

Upvote 0
  • I am more worried about dropping it. This comes up particularly when I'm out in public carrying it in one hand. At the supermarket, for example, I use Upvise for my shopping list and I'm aware that with the phone in my left (non-dominant) hand someone could bump me and even with my large hands it could go flying across the room.

You should consider attaching a hand grip to your phone or case. The ThingSling might fit the bill or you could do a DIY mod to add an elastic hand strap to the battery cover or a case.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm probably the only oddball that wanted a bigger phone. Used dumphones and my first 'smartphone' was a SE Vivaz Pro. When I had that my thoughts were, "next phone needs to have a BIGGER screen." Than I saw the Note and thought my prayers were answered. Loved the size and portability. Then the Note 2 came and I couldn't resist it either. :D

I guess I'm in that "oddball" category too. I couldn't wait to get a bigger phone. My hands are big, and this is the second smartphone I've owned. The first was an Evo 4g, and that was a step in the right direction. :p The Note is a beautiful thing. I couldn't wait to get it. I love the bigger screen, because my middle-aged eyes aren't getting any better. The S-Pen is fantastic, and I am enjoying the voice control immensly. Add that to the fact that Sprint finally turned on 4gLte on around here, and I've never owned a phone that I actually love, and I've had to have different flavors of cell phones since 1992..

I'm glad that Samsung came up with something that doesn't feel like a "toy" phone...

I have mine in an Otterbox Defender case, and it's comfortable to me. Strangely, I've had people act like they were mad about the size of my phone... Sorry they're stuck with their 3.5 inch iphone screen, but I'm not giving up my Note 2 for anything. :)

Upvote 0
The screen is perfect for viewing spreadsheets. I can view at least 4 columns with ease. I also get a little nervous when using it at the grocery store, in hopes that I don't drop it. I used to be a somewhat nervous about taking it out in public because people would give me strange looks. Now that more people have it and it seems to be the talk of the town, I no longer get those crazy looks.

Upvote 0
I came from the original Evo. Before the Evo, just a rinky dink flip phone. So the Evo was gigantic at the time for me and really, the phone industry. But I quickly got used to it. And at the time, I was like, I don't think I'll ever use anything bigger.

Fast forward to November 2012 when I got the Note 2. I was at first intimidated a little by hearing the size. Thinking it was going to be too big to put in my pocket and carry on. Wrong. It's perfect. For the size of the phone, it is very sleek and light, especially when the phone is naked (no case) or you have a slim case. Fits perfect in your pockets and like someone said, does not move around like smaller phones.

I am very pleased with the size of this phone. Makes watching videos a lot better.

Upvote 0
I had the phone for 3 days before going back to the
iPhone 5, due to way better movie selection available for IOS. As for size,
the Note 2 is, to me, awesome, and if the Note 3 is 6.3", that's even
better! Now all that has to happen is Amazon needs to develop an
Instant Video app for Android, and I'll switch back to Note in a second!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones