Some research questionsGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-09-30 10:57:42
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I have a Droid Bionic which is having issues, driving me nuts, and has me ready to put the thing on an anvil and grab a big hammer.

I'm looking pretty closely at the RAZR M. This looks like a good phone for price vs features vs abilities. It might be good enough to use until I can stash enough $$$ for a developer version of some phone, or until Motorola regains some sense and lets us have an easily rootable phone.

I like the size factor, mostly because I like to keep the phone in my left front snap down shirt pocket. I have big enough hands that I can use a big phone and a Samsung Galaxy S III is also on my radar, but it is a bit too big for the pocket to snap closed. I also like the water repellent nano coatings of the M. I'm a farmer and my hands are not always clean, and what with irrigating, I'm also around some wet environments (one of the Bionic problem causes). I like the Gorilla glass and the Kevlar idea too.

I had and loved the original Droid, but backed away from Motorola due to their locked bootloader stupidity. I got a Verizon Fascinate that gave way to the Bionic once root became available for Motorola phones.

I have rooted all of my smartphones. I suppose root will come to the RAZR M too. But I am going to need to replace the Bionic pretty quickly because I think it is going to die in my pocket before long.

I guess this is as much of an ICS question as much as anything. Can ads be blocked on a non rooted ICS phone by the OS or not? The ad blocking ability is the single best thing for me about rooted phones. I can live with a stock RAZR M for a few weeks if I can do something about blocking the ads.

I was never happy with the gps signal or the phone signal strength of the Fascinate. Some forum comments on the GS III look to me like there is still some issues there.

Another RAZR M question is how is the phone part of the smartphone? The Bionic drops calls and data like there is no tomorrow. Any body with both the M and Bionic that can tell me how they compare?

Advertisement
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Well, while I can't give you a comparison between the Bionic and the M, I can say that ICS allows you to disable apps, so the bloatware that may be slowing the Bionic down can be stopped. As far as Ads, I really don't ever get ads on my phone, unless you have apps that are causing them. I will say that when my wife calls me from her M, it sounds amazing, the best sounding voice, its like she's in the room. And she hasn't complained to me about dropped calls, although we live in one of the best Verizon coverage areas in the country.
  3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Thanks. Went to the Verizon store today and spent some time with both a SG III, the Razr M, and my Bionic. The Bionic got outclassed pretty handily by both.
  4. mrdrh99

mrdrh99 Well-Known Member

I just switched to the m from bionic and can say I have no regrets at all, I don't work on a farm but I do work at Lowes home improvement and can say it's held up quite well so far!