Some WiFi Networks Not Available

Last Updated:

1. shouchins

shouchins New Member This Topic's Starter

I got 2 Sprint HTC Heros 3 wks ago. They work fine with any WiFi network that shows up as available. Other WiFi networks are completely ignored and do not show up in the list of available networks. I installed WiFi Analyzer and it is also prevented from seeing the same "invisible" networks.

One WiFi network which does not show up is my home network. Last weekend I was at a B&B in another state and had the same problem with their network. Their network was up and running and visible to other hardware but not to our Heros.

Our home WiFi router is a Linksys WRT110 running WPA-2 Personal AES. There typically are three devices on this network: 2 @ g and 1 @ n.

I have seen other WPA-2 Personal networks show up as Available while traveling but have no idea what routers were used.

I called Sprint support and eventually got to someone in Tech support who put me on hold after I explained the symptoms. 20 min later the call was dropped. So much for Sprint tech support :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

Try to see if you can manually add your home network to your network list. Don't know if it'll work but it might be worth a shot. Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-fi Settings>Add Wi-Fi Network

shouchins likes this.
  3. shouchins

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that for two of the "invisible" networks. It didn't help.

4. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

On your home network try changing AES to either TKIP or TKIP+AES.

5. shouchins

I just checked the router settings and it is set for TKIP+AES.

6. shouchins

I have been experimenting tonight. If I disable all wireless security on my wireless router then my network becomes visible on the Hero and it will connect w/o trouble. This is not a very desirable solution!

Is there no way to get the Hero to talk to this router with wireless security?