Someone explain to me how to install kernals?

Last Updated:

1. Ninthwonder

Ninthwonder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please I would love to know how to do it.. I am sure its not to complicated but still I would like to be filled in thanks

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Depends on the kernel. You can flash a kernel using ADB. Some kernels are available as a TGZ file which can be installed with SPRecovery, and some are available in update.zip format.

3. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

what does a kernal do?

4. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member

They allow you to overclock to higher speeds

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

The Kernel is one of the most basic parts of the operating system. Essentially, it lets the hardware and the software communicate. Many things have been added to kernels, such as support for WiFi tethering, the responsiveness fix for the touch screen keyboard, and overclocking capability.

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

With adb, reboot into recovery and then

flash_image /sdcard/kernel.img

With nandroid or .tgz I imagine you already know.

7. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

dont you overclock with setCPU? im sorry if these are dumb questions guys...ive been following this forum for a couple weeks now. im comfortable with rooting i just would like to know how it all actually works. i imagine the kernals are already included in most of the zip files...??

8. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Here's my question..

Is there a kernel that allows OC to 1200 MHz, has the touchscreen/keyboard fixes AND allows Tempmonitor to see the actual CPU temp? :eek:

9. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

AdamZ?.

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Hmm... can you issue those same commands through Terminal Emulator as su? Doing it all straight from the device is a lot more convenient, in my opinion.

11. shadowdude777

Could someone fill me in on these touchscreen/keyboard fixes? I have never heard of these. What are they? Watch, I'm probably using a kernel with them included and don't know it. :rolleyes:

12. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member

im a little confused to cause i thought you overclock with setcpu and the speeds are set into the ROM. Unless i think that cause all ive used before it smokedglass and its built in?

13. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

@ dfine - Because some roms bake in the OC kernels. Pete recently decided with 2.1 roms (not sure on the 2.01 roms) that he will let the user decide. I think he only includes the 600 Mhz one. Then he links to several different kernels so the user can decide which is most stable for their particular phone (and what the max overclock is of each kernel)....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

14. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, not yet... I'm jumping on the kernel development train, so I'm hoping to have exactly that in the very near future. :D:D

Edit: I take it back - the SholesMod 2.0.5 kernel has exactly what you asked for! I just loaded it from a previous nandroid and it has the touchscreen/keyboard fixes and allows for CPU temp using TempMonitor.

15. dfine06

haha sorry to bring back an old thread. im just confused about something. im going to install nextheme as an update.zip but then i have to intal an overclock as an update.zip. how does it work? wont it overright the rom?

16. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

not all update.zip is an entire rom. Sometimes it is just a kernel sometimes it is just a theme and sometimes it is a whole rom. If you install nextheme through update.zip it will not be overwritten by a kernel update.zip as they are modifying different things

17. shadowdude777

Once you install the update.zip you can delete it from your SD card. So put NexTheme on your SD card, install it, delete it, put the OC kernel on your SD card, install it, delete it.

18. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

If you have Clockworkmod Recovery you don't really have to install anything as an update.zip

I have a folder on my SD card called "ROMS" with tons of stuff in it, including a folder inside that called "Kernels". That way I have all that stuff saved and available on the card whenever I want it. You just have to select "Install zip from SD card" and then select the zip you want to install.

19. dfine06

ok so after i install nextheme. delete it. then put the kernal on. install update.zip and then delet that and i should be good?

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Yup

21. dfine06

awesome thamks again guys! 1 more questions assuming this works haha. can i leave the update kernal folder on my card or should i delete it? or does it not matter.

22. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. If you do have an update.zip and you have CW recovery you might want to delete it though. The d-pad on the Droid is already a bit fiddly for those with large fingers and you can accidentally apply whatever your update.zip is if you aren't careful while navigating the menus in recovery mode (I have done this before).

23. studiorat

studiorat Member

hi all!!!!
    just kidding on the beating part... I just rooted a few days ago so far i have been lucky with my installs such as cyanogen and or virtuous roms
    i have ended up with virtuousus Roms they are more sense like
    i recently installed set cpu and down loaded a chevyno1 overclocking kernel ...here is the issue...i installed from my sd card and it appeared to install ok it usually reboots automatically but today it went to the clockworkmod recovery screen and i was forced to reboot manually so i did, and upon the device restart it gets to the HTC incredible screen and hung up, never to continue... usually it continues on to and htc quietly brilliant screen then onto droid bootscreen, NOT TODAY...so after 30 minutes of waiting i pulled the battery and rebooted and recovered pwr and vol. Down into clockwork and restored from a back up...What could be causing it to never get passed the initial power up screen...and are there any tips you can offer me Do i need S-off to overclock? and what else can i try...thanks for the help

24. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

if the kernel was the latest thing installed and the ROM was stable before this, it seems like classic instability in the kernel. not all kernels work for all phones. and high temps and reboot loops ate signs of it. you could try a different speed kernel or a different voltage or a different brand.

my tactic is to load 2-3 kernels on my phone, that way, when/if 1 kernel is unstable, you can reboot right into recovery and try another.