• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Something about these reviews that driving me crazy

I agree, completely. With 4G off, the EVO is better than a DROID Incredible, and $10 cheaper per month, and it allows for more voice calls (to other mobile phones).
Yeah, i can definitely understand them criticizing the sprint SERVICE for lack of 4g support because of the way they were touting it, but i just wish most of them would admit that it IS the best android phone on the market right now 3g/4g regardless. They keep saying one of the best...which is a little strange; i mean what android phone really gives it run for its money, besides the Incredible(which is super fast, but lacks some key features)

Upvote 0
The reviewers really haven't been killing Sprint for the $10.00 additional fee, several of them have even called it appropriate. What the reviewers have been frustrated with is the overall 4G performance. I think only 1 or 2 of the reviews have found 4G service to perform as advertised by Sprint. The rest of them are finding incredibly spotty coverage and /or poor data speeds. However, It is a shame that they are overlooking the phone itself while reviewing. It does seem that their disappointment for the 4G is carrying over to the hardware review.

I think Sprint really screwed the pooch with their marketing(or lack there of) for the EVO. Personally, I've yet to see a commercial on TV for it. However I see 3 - 4 commercials per day for the Droid. Sprint really does terrible PR, and it's such a shame. They don't give themselves a chance. I realize they may not have Verizon $$ but they should still invest heavily in advertising. It's amazing that HTC is able to do it's own marketing showcasing their phones, while Sprint seems to not understand that a huge part of the draw to a carrier nowadays is the hardware. People aren't with AT&T because they love the service, they want the iPhone. Sprint has the perfect opportunity to finally draw people with an exciting new device and they aren't stepping up.

Upvote 0
its the reviewers job to find everything wrong with a device (no matter what it is) and speak about it. those issues (lack of 4g, 10 bux extra) is not the phones fault. the phone is ready. sprint wanted to get out the gate with 4g and to get ahead of the iphony. they have enough 4g markets to get the phone out. they have spent millions on 4g and their investors are ready to see a ROI. in the end this phone will be great for sprint.. it should increase ARPU and probably you will see less churn due to it...

It's already evident in the stock price jump yesterday of 10+% the day before of over 8.6%. This was the right time to send the phone out. Sprint played their cards correctly. It sucks that we have to spend 10 dollars yes. But Ill bank it as an investment into better service, in the future.

Few people know that Dan Hesse is a new CEO, so the projections of the company can't be based off old sprint standards. I enjoy sprint and the cost per service is still way less than other carriers. The fact they chose wimax with the ability to be the backbone for lte was ingenious because that cuts the cost to deploy a nationwide 4g network. For you guys that can't see the broad picture. Just imagine what verizon will do next year. Do you think 4g LTE that cost so much to build will be free?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Yeah, i can definitely understand them criticizing the sprint SERVICE for lack of 4g support because of the way they were touting it, but i just wish most of them would admit that it IS the best android phone on the market right now 3g/4g regardless. They keep saying one of the best...which is a little strange; i mean what android phone really gives it run for its money, besides the Incredible(which is super fast, but lacks some key features)

Ummm...except most reviews have said it is the best Android phone on the market. I'm not the first to point this out in this thread either.

I don't mind the 10 dollar fee or the 4g reception so much. But it's a legitimate complaint as consumers will complain about it. What is wrong with them pointing out something they know their readership will have issues with? Clearly lots of people do not like the 10 dollar fee, so it should be pointed out. Also since this is being sold as a 4g phone many people are going to expect 3g like coverage that they are used to with 4g. Since it's one of main selling points you HAVE to as an unbiased (or even biased) reviewer point out that the coverage is spotty, less you want to get a lot of angry emails from readers feeling mislead.

Also for all those Apple haters out there, the iPad had less then stellar reviews out there. Also I seem to remember one of the issues with the iPhone had always been the steep data charge, as well as other issues. Here is an example of a reviewer saying things they don't like about the iPhone 3g:

Apple iPhone 3GS - 32GB - black (AT&T) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Upvote 0
For you guys that can't see the broad picture. Just imagine what verizon will do next year. Do you think 4g LTE that cost so much to build will be free?

You said it all right there....if any one thinks that Verizon, when they "light up" LTE and have a phone to go with it wont be charging at the very least double than the Sprint $10 charge???

Upvote 0
My biggest irritation is that the reviewers forget that its still the best 3G phone on the market, and still one of, if not the cheapest too. 4G is the cherry on top to me.

Agreed. At first my main interest in the EVO was the 4G capability but I realized this will be the best 3G smartphone on the market at release. My city doesn't have WiMAX yet and when it does I don't expect it to be flawless. I feel there's going to be quite a few on this forum disappointed with 4G but remember it is still in its infancy as it is still getting built out. 4G will be like a blooming flower, you have to wait a little. That won't be the case for everyone though.

Upvote 0
You said it all right there....if any one thinks that Verizon, when they "light up" LTE and have a phone to go with it wont be charging at the very least double than the Sprint $10 charge???

Verizon's CEO has already said numerous times that the future for them is tiered data structure where the incentive may in fact be to charge more for higher data use for high users. The more used, the more paid.

In contrast Sprint's steps are saying we think we'll be able to handle the extra data use and it will be deliverable at a lower cost so we'll charge a flat rate and recognize that our business and subscribers will both find our fees tolerable in the end.

It's like when I go to the Bellagio buffet in Vegas. They charge me more than some of the other hotels, but they do have a noticeably better buffet than most. And for the $, I get all the crablegs I can eat while they make money on people who eat balanced, more vegetable-heavy meals. The vegetarians don't pay less to eat at the buffet so it all works in the end.

The $10 will be that way too since it's the price of Sprint's data buffet.

Upvote 0
It's driving me crazy that people keep saying its a 4G $10 charge...its NOT! its because this phone is expected to use ALOT of data, 3G and 4G. If your going to complain about it, do it about the right thing. Plus, with any hopes the $10 will go towards getting 4G in more places.

Yeah that is pretty annoying, and I've seen the $10 charge equated to 4g in professional blogs as well. No wonder there's so much confusion on it.

It really seems Sprint slapped on the $10 charge as an 11th hour afterthought. The fact that it can't be succinctly described shows how poorly they approached it. Let alone the initial lack of clarity behind it. The best description I can think of is "$10 Evo Fee". Which leads me to ask, why don't they let me pay it up front?

Upvote 0
Yeah that is pretty annoying, and I've seen the $10 charge equated to 4g in professional blogs as well. No wonder there's so much confusion on it.

It really seems Sprint slapped on the $10 charge as a afterthought. The fact that it can't be succintly described shows how poorly they approached it. Let alone the initial lack of clarity behind it. The best description I can think of is "$10 Evo Fee". Which leads me to ask, why don't they let me pay it up front?

Yes, it is billed on Sprint's site as a "premium data fee." It's weird, because I thought my $69.99 plan included unlimited data...it seems that the data is not unlimited, as has been the case for most things billed as "unlimited" but turn out to be limited in the end. The $10 makes it truly truly TRULY unlimited, I suppose, over 4G or 3G.

Upvote 0
I prefer the 10 bucks extra on premium phones than a general increase. Some people are not going to use premium phones, take my parent who only wants a phone to call and send text messages. The new demographic has emerged in the past 2-3 years, that want to use every inch of the web no matter where they are.

Sprint is catering to their needs with the EVO, My treo 800 that i have no, use practically little data, the reason being is because the web quality is so poor. There is a direct correlation to how much you will use the phone for data purposes, the more accessible the web and web content is. Think about what aspects of internet browsing on your phone now that makes you turn the phone off and then turn on your PC.
Now think about how many of those issues the evo has addressed. Then think about just how much data per month you plan to use reguardless of 3g or 4g. No matter how you slice it, it's going to be more.

Think about apps like the popular Pandora. Using it too much can exceed the cap

For me a I don't want to be paying for 300 MB overcharge of 10cents per MB.. The FCC is the one who regulates what is safe to say unlimited data
T-Mobile ditches 5GB data plan cap…sort of Boy Genius Report
take a look at t-mobile after their criticizing sprint about the $10 fee, they penalize by tapering your bandwidth if you go over 5GB. Just how they do that I have no clue.

Upvote 0
Don't any of you work for companies that pay for all of these fees? I do so I don't care what the cost is going to be. :D

I feel most of the reviews have been fair and when there's something the user doesn't like they point it out. So what? I'm sure there will be things I won't like but I doubt I'll make that the main point of any critique. I would tend to magnify the positives and minimize the negatives if I really liked the phone.

Upvote 0
Sprint was stupid with that $10 4G service charge. What they should have done was wait 90 days after launch then implement it. They could have used the excuse Oh so many people are using it to tether with we now have to put a surcharge on the service yadda yadda yadda. This way at least at launch they would not have had the extra charge in place and it wouldn't be such an issue. Once the phone has been out a few months and they put it in place it would not have been such a big media deal. Stupid marketing on Sprints part.

I actually think that it would back fire if they started charging people $10 extra a month after any amount of days. I know I get mad as hell when I look at my bill and see an extra surcharge for who knows what! They tell you now so you can either agree with it and get the phone or disagree with it and get the phone or disagree with it and not get the phone. Sprint knows what they are doing and if you have enough people willing to pay the extra $10 a month even though they don't have 4G in there area yet they've won. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones