• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Something consuming data plan

Okay so I'm a noob and this is my first phone with a data plan. I installed 3G watchdog and I see the usage going up even though I haven't done anything through the 3g network. I've done my app downloads and surfing via Wi-Fi and as the phone sits idle the usage creeps up ever so slightly. Is this from the phone updating and considered normal? The usage is about 1mb per day so after a month that's 30mb. Is something running in the background that shouldn't be and if so how do I find it?

If this happens while on Wifi then I'd say 3G watchdog is busted. However if you just mean while you're not on wifi it creeps up then that's the sync happening in the background. Settings > Accounts & Sync. If the items there are checked they're going to use data in the background.

Well what do you know about that. Auto Sync and Background Data was checked by default. Turned them off and I'll keep an eye on the data.
Thanks for the tip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones