Something I found out about the "where" app (VG app by the way)General

1. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

So I load the "where" app (its a local info app) like yelp, yellow book, weather and news, gas prices ..etc all in one.
    Works really well.
    One thing i found out about it is there is a problem with the widget.

I downloaded it then picked a spot for the widget on my home screen.
    This is where is gets strange, after the icon shows up I go to use it and it keeps locking up (screen just goes black).
    I uninstall and reinstall same problem.
    The fix,
    pick a spot on your home screen for it then got to SHORTCUTS not adroid widgets and pick it from the shortcuts folder and the app works great, plus the shortcut icon is smaller than the widget icon.

I really like the app, has a ton of info and it works great when set up this way on our phones.

Advertisement
    :
    Carl C likes this.
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing , Maybe you should contact the dev's and inform them of this :)
  3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Sounds like there is a problem with the widget? Are you using any sort of home replacement?
  4. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

No just the stock eris.

I did send an e-mail about the freezing up thing, If they e-mail me back I will let them know how I got around it.
    Even if they fix it I'm going to keep running it this way (as a shortcut) , the icon is smaller.
    Great little app...:)
  5. jreed2560

thats cool. Atleast the devs aware the widget has an issue so they can work on a fix. I too prefer shortcuts to programs over the widgets.
  6. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

what the diff with you use the widget icon or shortcut icon on your home screen for an app?
  7. jreed2560

widgets will allow you to access some of the data/features of a program without leaving the homescreen. Some widgets allow quick access to settings like the wifi, gps, and mobile network toggles. Basically they make access to said program easier and faster. They can drain battery though
  8. odaxium

odaxium Well-Known Member

pretty cool app, not going to mess with the widget though if it's crashing!
  9. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

The widget and the shortcut do the same thing the few times the widget did work, like I said I have had no problems since just using the shortcut on my home screen. Even if they fix it I won't go back to the widget, the shortcut is smaller icon.
  10. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

The widget was a speech-to-text search. I had it working for a while; after an update, it locks up. The shortcut is just that - a sort it to open the app.
  11. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

When you did have the widget working how was it? pretty cool or??