Something i've been wondering [Customising vs. Stock]

Last Updated:

1. Demonhotrod

Demonhotrod Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So with the awesome amount of customisation that can be done to the Desire (and the Android OS in general) many people opt and switch from the default SenseUI to a combination of apps like LauncherPro, Beautiful Widgets, FolderOrganizer, SwitchPro etc etc, the list is literally endless.

But does using these apps instead of the stock ones, require the phone to use more battery?

A part of me automatically wants to assume the answer is yes but thats purely based on a hunch and corporate bias haha (HTC are the phone pros afterall)

Just a random musing...

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Launcherpro is a replacement launcher that you use instead of sense UI, where as the others are not. So lets focus on Launcher pro vs sense UI.

You can actually set Sense UI up to a "Blank slate" so that it (and Sense widgets) are doing nothing. Of course sense itself will still be running in the background so you can argue that a nominal amount of battery is used up superfluously.

However, some of us choose to run Custom Roms that do not even have sense UI or any HTC applications on it at all and run Launcherpro.

Personally, I see having Sense UI as an additional overhead. Especially if you don't need it. The Vanilla android roms (no sense UI) also tend to be a bit quicker.

3. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

I find that using LP over Sense UI does use a little more battery. Having said that, it could be because i have the battery level near the homescreen, so i'm aware of the charge more now?!

I didn't really do a test before and after. I was actually quite happy by the battery level before LP. If i'm near a computer, which i usually am, i tend to plug it in anyway. I actually charge overnight and always get 100% (Fully Charged) in the morning, unlike others.

4. Darkstar2010

Darkstar2010 Well-Known Member

When you root a phone and put 2.2 on it do you have the option to keep Sense UI? Or do you lose Sense UI altogether? Is Launcher Pro better in anyones opinion to Sense UI?

5. SUroot

You can get Sense UI based custom roms and vanilla 2.2 roms.

I prefer Launcher pro.

6. Darkstar2010

Darkstar2010 Well-Known Member

What is a vanilla rom?

7. SUroot

A standard "flavour" of android (hence the name vanilla) in that it has no additional proprietary User interface such as Sense UI, or Timescape.

Its the basic version that the nexus 1 has.

Darkstar2010 likes this.