• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Something on my phone sucks...battery

alceryes

Oct 12, 2011
ATT GS2 w ICS
Has anyone been able to figure out what phantom process is randomly killing the battery? There will literally be a 10 hour difference between it's quick drain and slow drain times. The incredible thing is that I AM USING MY PHONE THE SAME EVERY DAY! Some days I get 16+ hours on one charge and other days only 6 hours!!!
It's really frustrating since there's nothing obvious that I'm doing differently. This 16 to 6 to 16 hour charge has happened many times and I still can't figure out the culprit.
Any help would be appreciated!

Go launcher has never been a battery killer in my experience. Used it on the Captivate and the S2 with no problems regarding battery. I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly

I tested it with and without. Monster battery life before. Then I installed it and battery life took a dive for the two weeks that I used it. Finally got fed up. Uninstalled it 2 days go and yesterday my battery life was HUGE again. There is no other conclusion. Something that go launcher was doing was raping my battery life.

Upvote 0
ATT GS2 w ICS
Has anyone been able to figure out what phantom process is randomly killing the battery? There will literally be a 10 hour difference between it's quick drain and slow drain times. The incredible thing is that I AM USING MY PHONE THE SAME EVERY DAY! Some days I get 16+ hours on one charge and other days only 6 hours!!!
It's really frustrating since there's nothing obvious that I'm doing differently. This 16 to 6 to 16 hour charge has happened many times and I still can't figure out the culprit.
Any help would be appreciated!

Delete all of your email accounts. Restart the phone and add your email accounts back. I recently did the upgrade on my SS Galaxy S2 and my battery drained ridiculously fast. I did the above and the problem had absolutely gone completely away.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me after I installed Go Launcher ex. Got rid of it yesterday and today my battery life was back to normal. Go Launcher killed my batter TWICE as fast!
Weird, stock or custom ICS Rom, I use GoLauncherEX and no difference in battery life.

Not to hijack the thread, but if you're running ICS and GO Launcher is causing you problems with battery life, try Apex Launcher. It's made for ICS whereas GO is not.

Big fan of this one...highly recommend.
On shostock rom which comes with Apex, I like GoLauncherEX better but even using Apex, never saw any battery life difference, good or bad. Was basically the same for me at the end of the day with same use.

Upvote 0
Frankly, I got the same experience with you after upgrading to ICS from GB.
I was upset when my phone cant last 10 hrs not even a day after a full charge. I tried some apps like Watchdog Lite or Juice defender but it doesnt help either. After reading some tips in this forum, Ive learn something. I just made a factory reset on the phone and things had change on the battery life since then.
After a factory reset, I fully drain the phone until theres no more power when u turn on. After reaching 100% charge, take out the battery and put back after a minute or two then power on again. Do this once every or 2weeks. It takes many times or cycles for the battery to learn itself to live longer.
Also made changes on habits.
I dont use facebook android app unless u need to upload photos, I use FBM app(free) less than 1MB compared. After using the web, always turn off the wifi and data, look on active applications that is running and stop it once youre done. Dont use that CLEAR RAM(built in processes) thats a drainer too. Turn off autosync if u dont need it like emails, msgs. Set ur display brightness very low like 10% since its very clear at dark. etc. To sum it all, my battery can last 2 days on a full charge, its on everyday using wifi and data and off at nyt. big change for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones