• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sometimes have to restart to receive texts

appleSUX

Oct 17, 2014
Hi. I'm having an intermittent issue with my Note 3 on T-mobile service. Most of the time text works just fine but every once in a while I realize that I haven't received a text for a few hours so I restart my phone and upon restart (or within minutes) I get a barrage of texts that had not come through over the course of the last few hours. To my knowledge my outgoing texts actually send perfectly fine, I just don't get incoming. This has started happening more often recently. Sometimes I can go a couple of days and sometimes I have to literally restart several times in a day. I have tried a master reset and it seemed to work well for a few days and then right back to texting issues. Everything else seems to work just fine. Sometimes I'll know to restart because someone will have to message me through facebook or hangouts to ask if I got their messages so I'll restart and they'll all start coming through. At least I eventually get them but this issue is still maddening. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. I have searched and searched with not much help. Thanks!

Sounds like a APN issue but first let's make sure your message app is set up correctly . first lets go to settings and manage apps . in the tab scroll to all apps . now scroll down til you find your message app open and in this order clear data and clear cache . now go back to home screen go to the message app and open it check message app settings Make sure the box ** Auto-retrieve is checked now make sure the box **Roam auto-retrieve is checked . if so go back to home screen send a text to yourself

Reactions: appleSUX
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! When I cleared data it automatically blacked out the clear cache button so I think it must have done that automatically? In the SMS text settings auto retrieve was checked but the roam auto retrieve was not. I swear that I had made sure that was checked in the past but I'm not 100%. Do you think that's what it could have been?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones