• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sometimes restarts on its own

Is there a list of of any particular apps out there that might cause this problem? Is so, please let me know.

I was going to ask that too. I heard that Words With Friends was causing some people issues. I uninstalled that but am still having crashes 2-5 times a day... I don't have a ton of apps on there but in lieu of uninstalling EVERYTHING, maybe someone could post what apps they uninstalled that made their phone work better.

Upvote 0
I was going to ask that too. I heard that Words With Friends was causing some people issues. I uninstalled that but am still having crashes 2-5 times a day... I don't have a ton of apps on there but in lieu of uninstalling EVERYTHING, maybe someone could post what apps they uninstalled that made their phone work better.

I must recommend to you to have a factory data reset if u real have 2-5 times crashes a day. I only find a few times freezes after its lunch when surf on the internet.

Reactions: elmoosh
Upvote 0
I must recommend to you to have a factory data reset if u real have 2-5 times crashes a day. I only find a few times freezes after its lunch when surf on the internet.

I'm not very technologically capable so I'm a little scared to do a factory reset. I'm worried it'll wipe out everything and I won't have it backed up correctly or something. But I'll try it if it keeps crashing. Thank you. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not very technologically capable so I'm a little scared to do a factory reset. I'm worried it'll wipe out everything and I won't have it backed up correctly or something. But I'll try it if it keeps crashing. Thank you. :)

All your contacts should be synced to your Google account. They will re-download once you re-synced after the factor reset.
Download Titanium Backup from the market. Use it to backup all your apps.
I would recommend the pro upgrade but the free version should get the job done.

Upvote 0
titanium backup? He mentioned he is not very technologically capable and he's scared to wipe his data so I think he would be even more scared to root his phone. Sorry if my tone doesn't sound nice, but I'm not sure how to reword that to make it sound nice(er) :s

Titanium backup is a program that can only operate when you have full root access. In short, this means you must root your phone. If you want to find instructions on how to root your phone then please see this video:

Reactions: HeroLau
Upvote 0
All your contacts should be synced to your Google account. They will re-download once you re-synced after the factor reset.
Download Titanium Backup from the market. Use it to backup all your apps.
I would recommend the pro upgrade but the free version should get the job done.
Thanx, aladdin. I will give this a shot. :)

Upvote 0
I had the same problem untill i did a firmware update from build b06 to b08 is been about a week now and it has been perfect just go to about phone -system updates and firmware update. I know that zte was informed of the problem and im pretty sure this update was the fix

I dare to say that no any brand smartpone can fix the freeze completely like computer,specially for the open source OS. maybe iOS better that android on this subject. just improvment not completely. sometime this freeze mostly relate to personally usage and respective habits.

I only found several times freeze when surf on internet since its launch on B06, and 2days on B08 is fine and no any freeze, just like have a factory reset and smooth more.

Upvote 0
Alright! I just reluctantly did a factory reset. I really hope that clears up my problems that I've been having. I'm not even gonna load any apps on it until I know that problem has gone away.

After having the phone for a few weeks now, I plan on activating it today. I wanted to wait 'til the end of the month, because I'm still using my LG OpV from Virgin Mobile until my time is up.

Upvote 0
Alright, it's been over a month since I posted in this thread and I just want to let folks know that this problem hasn't gone away. :(

I don't know if it has anything to do with the amount of apps on the phone, but if it does, that is absolutely ridiculous!! The main reason I dumped the LG OpV for the Warp was because of the massive difference there was in internal storage between the 2 devices. The CPU is also faster and the RAM is bigger for the Warp. Having said all that, I'm still having all these issues with the Warp, including the constant restarting (especially when I'm actually USING the freakin' phone) and the occasional freeze ups!!

I'm pretty much at my wit's end right now. I am actually debating getting rid of this and either going back to my LG OpV or picking up the LG Marquee. :(

Upvote 0
I noticed my phone restarted itself the other day; it was in my pocket and I randomly heard the boot-up sound. Not sure why it did, but it is not like it happens often so I am not too worried, especially since it restarted itself right back up. If it has just shut itself down, then I'd be PO'd. I would highly suggest contacting ZTE, demanding a new device, or at least, a diagnosis.

Upvote 0
I noticed my phone restarted itself the other day; it was in my pocket and I randomly heard the boot-up sound. Not sure why it did, but it is not like it happens often so I am not too worried, especially since it restarted itself right back up. If it has just shut itself down, then I'd be PO'd. I would highly suggest contacting ZTE, demanding a new device, or at least, a diagnosis.
Just out of curiosity, how long have you had the phone? Also, has the screen on your device ever froze or just went black and doesn't come back until you either open up the case and push that little button by the camera or just simply pull the battery?! That has also happened to me on a few occasions. :mad:

Just for the record, I don't think that contacting ZTE (or Boost, for that matter) will do any good. Just sayin'... :(

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add to the discussion, it was kind of said but I wanted to put together my advice from my own experience:

First, make sure you are updated to the latest firmware, go to settings/about phone, your build number should be N860V1.0.0B08. If it says B06 or B07 at the end, click on system updates at the top of that screen and click update firmware.

If your firmware was out of date, that was probably the issue because the B08 update took care of 90% of the restarting issues myself and many others had.

If your firmware was already version B08, then I would recommend the following steps:

Do a factory data reset from settings/privacy. This will erase everything, I would recommend getting the "app backup and restore" app first if you want to keep all your apps so you don't have to re-download. First install that app, backup all your apps and then after you do the factory data reset you can re install that app and restore your apps...

After you do the factory data reset, don't re install any apps yet, see if you are still having the reboot issue, if you are then you have a hardware issue and need to return your phone to zte because stock it shouldn't be rebooting at all on it's own during normal use. If it doesn't reboot during normal use with only stock installed, then re install the apps a few at a time and test to see if it reboots.

My guess is you have one of two issues, either you are on an older firmware version, or two your phone has a hardware issue. It could be the case that you have an app installed that is causing this, but it seems doubtful if the issue is happening during calls and normal activities.

The only app I have used that seems to cause issues has been adw launcher, but it doesn't restart, the app just wiggs out once in a while. I had a couple issues with miren browser for a while but it's been stable after last time installed it. I know that rom manager is a problem and that some flashlight apps might also cause issues. Beyond that I haven't seen a lot of issues except with graphic intensive games like sleepy jack.

If you could at least check the firmware I am interested to know what version you are on.

Reactions: HeroLau
Upvote 0
It's not an app - a lot of people have tested that.
Boost will only say to call Zte - they won't stand behind their brand.
ZTE says it's a software issue, and the fix is in the software upgrade. When you tell them the upgrade doesn't fix the issue, they tell you to mail them the phone (to China). When you ask them why you should send them the phone, since they are only going to upgrade the software, and that doesn't work, they say....nothing <crickets>.

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the help and insight here, but I have to agree with the post above me - it's not third-party apps. I bought my ZTE Warp on Sunday and within about 30 minutes it had randomly rebooted. I did the firmware upgrade OTA and it still reboots.

I just did a total wipe... and I'm thinking about trying the NANDROID backup someone posted with the stock ROM to see if that helps.

I'll confirm though... ZTE's customer service is horrible. You can't understand a word they say, they treat you like you're just another annoying user who is creating their own problems. They put me on hold just to tell me there's a software update. I asked them to send me the information to my e-mail and they refused, instead they wanted me to "Write it down"... Instead I went online and found the update tool.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the update tool to work since I've already rooted and installed CWM. :) If it just brings the firmware up to B08.. then I've already got that. There's a chance the original B08 upgrade was corrupt though, which is why I plan on trying the NANDROID stock rom.

If it continues... I might have to return it for the Samsung Transform Ultra. I'd hate to give up this beautiful 4.3 screen though. On the other hand, I have a Toshiba Thrive that has a big enough screen. :)

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add to the discussion, it was kind of said but I wanted to put together my advice from my own experience:

First, make sure you are updated to the latest firmware, go to settings/about phone, your build number should be N860V1.0.0B08. If it says B06 or B07 at the end, click on system updates at the top of that screen and click update firmware.

If your firmware was out of date, that was probably the issue because the B08 update took care of 90% of the restarting issues myself and many others had.

If your firmware was already version B08, then I would recommend the following steps:

Do a factory data reset from settings/privacy. This will erase everything, I would recommend getting the "app backup and restore" app first if you want to keep all your apps so you don't have to re-download. First install that app, backup all your apps and then after you do the factory data reset you can re install that app and restore your apps...

After you do the factory data reset, don't re install any apps yet, see if you are still having the reboot issue, if you are then you have a hardware issue and need to return your phone to zte because stock it shouldn't be rebooting at all on it's own during normal use. If it doesn't reboot during normal use with only stock installed, then re install the apps a few at a time and test to see if it reboots.

My guess is you have one of two issues, either you are on an older firmware version, or two your phone has a hardware issue. It could be the case that you have an app installed that is causing this, but it seems doubtful if the issue is happening during calls and normal activities.

The only app I have used that seems to cause issues has been adw launcher, but it doesn't restart, the app just wiggs out once in a while. I had a couple issues with miren browser for a while but it's been stable after last time installed it. I know that rom manager is a problem and that some flashlight apps might also cause issues. Beyond that I haven't seen a lot of issues except with graphic intensive games like sleepy jack.

If you could at least check the firmware I am interested to know what version you are on.

Good post&#65292;thank you very much&#65281;&#65281;

Upvote 0
If your phone still keep restart on its own.please back to stock rom and uninstall all the apps you installed. and try to use it like you found restart before. If restart still found I am sure the HW has some reliability issues and please ask ZTE for further investigation or replacement. generally reboot always caused by the free app which has some compatible issue with different phone&#65292;specially for some new brand phone the developer dont know.

Upvote 0
It's not an app - a lot of people have tested that.
Boost will only say to call Zte - they won't stand behind their brand.
ZTE says it's a software issue, and the fix is in the software upgrade. When you tell them the upgrade doesn't fix the issue, they tell you to mail them the phone (to China). When you ask them why you should send them the phone, since they are only going to upgrade the software, and that doesn't work, they say....nothing <crickets>.
Don't know where your getting send it to China, but here is part of shipping label they emailed me to send back for repair/replace:
Code:
SHIP TO:
(817) 591-4600
Invoice #
Reference #
PO #
Dept #
Ship ID
RMA-20111215137944
ZTE/CWG-Cynergy
7333 Jack Newell Blvd. N. Ste.100
Fort Worth, TX 76118
I have edited out my info but you get the jist of it:)
and I sent it out on Dec. 21 and got it back on Dec. 28

Reactions: Trimbaud
Upvote 0
Don't know where your getting send it to China, but here is part of shipping label they emailed me to send back for repair/replace:
Code:
SHIP TO:
(817) 591-4600
Invoice #
Reference #
PO #
Dept #
Ship ID
RMA-20111215137944
ZTE/CWG-Cynergy
7333 Jack Newell Blvd. N. Ste.100
Fort Worth, TX 76118
I have edited out my info but you get the jist of it:)
and I sent it out on Dec. 21 and got it back on Dec. 28

China is where ZTE told me the phone would go for repair - 1 reason I didn't ask for a label. Glad it was only Texas.
Do you mind sharing your experience since you got the phone
back? Any fc? Did they send you the same phone, or a replacement? And, do you know what they did to it?
Sorry to pepper you with questions, it's just so many of us, myself included, are frustrated.
Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones