• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sometimes restarts on its own

China is where ZTE told me the phone would go for repair - 1 reason I didn't ask for a label. Glad it was only Texas.
Do you mind sharing your experience since you got the phone
back? Any fc? Did they send you the same phone, or a replacement? And, do you know what they did to it?
Sorry to pepper you with questions, it's just so many of us, myself included, are frustrated.
Thanks
I will say that BOOST was not very great about problems I was having with Warp. They told me to send it back to them for a refund and I insisted that it be fixed. I called ZTE and after the first call to them they seemed to know who I was every time I called. I always got 'Peter' or 'Ricky' :eek: After the language barrier problem, they finally got my email address correctly and sent the FEDEX label. Sent the phone out. Called ZTE when FEDEX delivered phone and got the ole 'not to worry' we are working on it. I then got email with tracking # for FEDEX s phone was on the way back to me. It was a new phone. My original phone would 'lock' up on me, had a cracked screen (had to really look to see it) and the volume was horrible low.
So over all I think ZTE handled it well. The new phone is working great although I have managed to crack the screen again, but I shall wait until something 'major' goes wrong for me to use the insurance that I bought with phone from BOOST. I have been a BOOST customer for over 3 years and some times they can be hard to deal with. I always call the BOOST dealer number as I get a 'human' immediately! 1- 877-855-6673 and 88 as soon as recording answers

Upvote 0
I've had my phone about two weeks and I've had spontaneous reboots about six times in less than 24 hours. It's rebooted while playing a game, during a phone call, and while using the internet. I'm going to delete the game and see what happens. If I do a factory reset and it continues it will be going back to whence it came...

Upvote 0
since this thread is still going I am assuming there are still people seeing this issue... best advice I have is to update to the latest b08c update that just came out, if you are not rooted and don't have cwm, just go to the zteusa site, look up support and select the boost zte warp, click software and the update too. Run it, you will need to shut down your phone and then start it by holding the power and volume down buttons until it shows fte on the screen, then run the tool you installed from zte. This willl erase everything, so use an app like app backup and restore to at least backup your apps and another app like sms backup and restore to get your text messages if you are like me and don't want to loose those.

For those who are rooted/cwm, first backup using something like titanium. Next, you will need to go back to the stock recovery, see the thread by woodstock about the b08c update, he has a zip you can download to your computer that has a one click batch file that will put your phone back to the stock recovery.

After you have stock recovery, you can follow the first paragraph to update to the b08c update by zte.

After that, use woodstock's other batch file from the zip to get cwm back.

After you have cwm, you can root by installing the zip through cwm that woodstock posted on the b08c thread, superuser.zip.

Then, after you take those steps, see if your phone is stable before you install anything, if you see any reboots or freezes my guess is you have a hardware issue because the software is stable. If no issues, just reinstall your backup programs and you are good to go.

Reactions: KingPhoenixDragon
Upvote 0
A $200 SMARTPHONE should not reboot on its own 5 times a day.
I got my Warp in January, it did this for a while, stopped in Feb, then started again about a week ago. SO ANNOYING.

ZTE is screwing up my Boost Mobile / Android Experience. None of my iPhone user friends have this problem, or even other Android-ers.

I feel like a dummy, paid the same amount as a brand new iphone and have to deal with this, it's embarrassing, and in meetings if it restarts and makes that annoying 'zap' sound 5 times a day, grr..Starting to wish I didn't have ANdroid / ZTE / Boost.

And don't respond saying 'you get what you paid for'. cuz we paid = iphone price.

i love everything about this phone, EXCEPT THIS STUPID REBOOT ISSUE.
We should not have to go to their website, reboot, hit volume+whatever and blah blah. ZTE just fix it damnit I WON'T RECOMMEND THIS PHONE TO ANYONE.

android rocks though. great apps. just cannot recommend this phone! I mean the features are ABOVE PAR, but this reboot shi* is RIDICULOUS x100.

Am i asking too much??? I don't see how more people are not up in arms about having to maneuver through complicated manual update stuff. I tried iit through ZTE, too complicated and didn't work.

Upvote 0
I feel like a dummy, paid the same amount as a brand new iphone and have to deal with this, it's embarrassing, and in meetings if it restarts and makes that annoying 'zap' sound 5 times a day, grr..Starting to wish I didn't have ANdroid / ZTE / Boost.

If you paid $650 for this phone or signed a two year contract, you could compare it to the iPhone. But as it stands, the Warp is a phone with midrange specs and a bad team of designers. Don't blame Android for this device, although you might blame Boost for deciding to purchase it. I've seen fifty dollar Android devices behave better, unfortunately.

Similar devices are available for $280 from Boost and Virgin, those are the name brand LG Marquee and Motorola/Huawei Triumph, neither of which have the same incessant problems the Warp does. Unfortunately neither of them have the screen size or internal memory of the Warp, but they are also known for being considerably more stable overall...particularly the Marquee.

Upvote 0
since this thread is still going I am assuming there are still people seeing this issue... best advice I have is to update to the latest b08c update ...

if you see any reboots or freezes my guess is you have a hardware issue because the software is stable. If no issues, just reinstall your backup programs and you are good to go.

I'm sorry to report I've had two phones with b08c firmware preinstalled, and neither of them have worked, um, properly at all. I've had random crashes during un-intensive games, cannot play more demanding ones for more than a couple minutes, and the touchscreen acts bizarrely without provocation.

That's just me, though. I'll probably grab yet another replacement soon...or maybe just return the device entirely.

(sorry for the double post, it seems un-deleteable in the Android app.)

Upvote 0
I have had my phone since Nov. and have had only one automatic reboot in all that time. That came when I was trying to play the game "Gladiators". I have experienced weird issues while the phone is recharging but with that exception it has run cleanly. My last up time was 300+ hours. I just rebooted the phone because it seemed a little sluggish. My point is not to deny your problems but to say that the phone can work very well. I would agree that there seems to be batches of these phones that are bad but by the same token there are batches that are very good. One note - I can not stress how important it is to set the WIFI sleep policy to "never". This is/was a known bug and will make the phone unstable.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to report I've had two phones with b08c firmware preinstalled, and neither of them have worked, um, properly at all. I've had random crashes during un-intensive games, cannot play more demanding ones for more than a couple minutes, and the touchscreen acts bizarrely without provocation.

That's just me, though. I'll probably grab yet another replacement soon...or maybe just return the device entirely.

(sorry for the double post, it seems un-deleteable in the Android app.)

You make my point again that the hardware is the variable that seems to cause the issues since we can be on the same software and have different results. After months of following all of this I think it all comes down to faulty manufacturing process or cheap internal parts as well as some of us who got the phone with the original software that seemed to not be thoroughly tested.

Upvote 0
I have had my phone since Nov. and have had only one automatic reboot in all that time. That came when I was trying to play the game "Gladiators". I have experienced weird issues while the phone is recharging but with that exception it has run cleanly. My last up time was 300+ hours. I just rebooted the phone because it seemed a little sluggish. My point is not to deny your problems but to say that the phone can work very well. I would agree that there seems to be batches of these phones that are bad but by the same token there are batches that are very good. One note - I can not stress how important it is to set the WIFI sleep policy to "never". This is/was a known bug and will make the phone unstable.

Thanks for the tip shunter7 about setting the sleep policy to never. I just read up on it and it apparently saves battery life as well. I also read it is good to turn wifi off when you aren't in common wifi spots like work or home. To turn the wifi sleep policy to never...from home screen hit menu-settings-wireless and networks-wifi settings-menu button at bottom of phone-advanced tab pops up-wifi sleep policy-never. Mine was set origionaly to "when screen turns off" and I'm sure that was the default setting. I also agree that it may just be some bad batches of phones and possibly people adding unstable apps imo. I'm over 300 hours of up time and haven't had a force close or restart that I can remember.

Upvote 0
You make my point again that the hardware is the variable that seems to cause the issues since we can be on the same software and have different results. After months of following all of this I think it all comes down to faulty manufacturing process or cheap internal parts as well as some of us who got the phone with the original software that seemed to not be thoroughly tested.
I don't doubt it... I just bloody wish ZTE, Boost, or somebody would be a little more honest about what's wrong when asked about it. I'd like a working Warp, but I'm not interested in getting a replacement and discovering it cannot be returned later on.

Upvote 0
well I'm trying a new battery to see if this annoying problem is resolved, I also love my Warp, of course other than the damn rebooting... this was my first touchscreen smart phone and was having a good experience until I powered the damn thing on... :D, my previous phone was a Motorola i930 which is considered a smart phone as well, but in it's own generation of smart phones... I have noticed that when i have an app running in the background like tuneinradio or navigation and then plug the phone into the charger it freezes and about 90% of the time reboots... I've read that a new battery has taken care of this annoyance... hopefully this will also be my remedy...

Upvote 0
my previous phone was a Motorola i930

Beast phone man. Oh how much I miss the i930. I kinda wish they still made phones like those. Simple, but not too simple and also didn't have worry about things like reboots, freezes, random glitches, battery life, FC apps, cheap build material and so on. Kinda still favor the Blackberry 8530 over the Warp because the BB felt like it was a solid phone for the year that I had it. No real problems besides case scratches. Don't get me wrong though, I love my ZTE Warp I just wish smartphones didn't have this many problems. Although after I rooted these problems have slightly started going away after using custom ROM's.

Upvote 0
I just got my Warp on Monday, and I've been getting these freeze ups and reboots since day one. I can't really complain though because the phone boots back up pretty fast.

I do have two concerns though. The camera button seems loose. When I first took it out of the package, I noticed it jiggled and made noise. Another issue I've noticed is the flash leaves a green hue on the picture. Makes taking a picture with flash no better than a picture without flash. Does anyone else have these problems?

Upvote 0
well, I found a permanent solution!!!!! after installing the B08c upgrade in hopes of finally finding a fix to this headache... my problem got even worse, it started locking up overnight once again... and it even started rebooting every time I would use Navigation... enough was enough, damn gray hairs were tripling, quadrupling at an astonishing rate... decided and took the plunge, I TRASHED MY WARP, and bought myself a used Sprint Phone on eBay and had it flashed.... just have to say, wow!!! ... it's night and day...Boostmobile doesn't seem to want to take some of the blame for ZTE's flaws, then if there's no class action lawsuit on the horizon, then it's off to the next step, which is buy a phone that will work... :)

some prior personal issues at hand:

1) bought the phone through boostmobile.com, they said send it to ZTE for repair... others who have sent their phone, are 50/50 on getting it repaired correctly or getting it replaced altogether....

2) phone locked up right when I was about to make an emergency 911 call to get fire and rescue to the scene of an accident, I was the second person on scene, luckily someone else was already on the line with 911... just came to me, that I've had to make three 911 calls this year already, all because of witnessing an accident.... interesting... then again, people are (fill in the blank, with your choice of word or words) between the hours of 5am and 6am ... :p

Upvote 0
Don't know where your getting send it to China, but here is part of shipping label they emailed me to send back for repair/replace:
Code:
SHIP TO:
(817) 591-4600
Invoice #
Reference #
PO #
Dept #
Ship ID
RMA-20111215137944
ZTE/CWG-Cynergy
7333 Jack Newell Blvd. N. Ste.100
Fort Worth, TX 76118
I have edited out my info but you get the jist of it:)
and I sent it out on Dec. 21 and got it back on Dec. 28
i

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones