• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sometimes unable to send texts

Forgive me if this thread is not the best choice to ask my question in (and kindly redirect me if need be).

I have a Motorola Droid Maxx (not a Razr, not a Maxx 2, just the plain old MDM) which was working fine with T-Mobile up until the last month or so. Now, with no discernable pattern, I am sometimes unable to send texts. Receiving texts is not a problem, and my WiFi and 4G are still fine.

I went through a bunch of rigmarole with T-Mo online (the local store had no advice on this issue), but to no avail. Here are the settings I have now...

APN: fast.t-mobile.com

MMSC:https://mms.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS: port: 8080

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

APN: Type: default,supl,mms

APN: Protocol: IPv4

APN: Roaming Protocol: IPv4

...in the last 36 hours or so alone, I've lost & regained my texting at least 3 times that I can recall. At this point, I'm considering just using my Droid Maxx as a portable media player (which I'm perfectly fine with) and buying a different smartphone that I know 100% for certain is T-Mobile compatible (preferably as cheap as possible).

Hi @ChaunceyK :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I went ahead and moved your post into its own thread for better exposure. Since texting does sometimes (usually?) work, it shouldn't be a compatibility issue between your phone and T-Mobile's network.

The one possible exception would be if the inability to send texts occurs only in certain locations. It's possible that those areas have not been refarmed to use 1900MHz instead of 1700 and 2100. If data is working at those times, though, I don't see how that could be the issue. Still, T-Mobile support may be able to let you know if that may be the case in your area.

In case it helps, here are the APNs that I have on my Nexus 6P:

Name: T-Mobile GPRS
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MCC: 310
APN Type: default,supl
APN Protocol: IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4

Name: T-Mobile MMS
APN: TMUS
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMC: 310
APN type: mms
APN protocol: IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4

All other options on both configurations are either not set or set to none.

Upvote 0
Location doesn't seem to have any bearing on when I can send texts (despite being able to receive them). Sometimes I'm at work, sometimes I'm at home, sometimes I'm just driving in my car. Regardless of where I am, I'll get a text & then why I try to reply...Message Not Sent. Goes on like that for a while, everything else working fine, and then it seems to fix itself.

I'm at my wit's end. Thinking of just picking up the $20 Coolpad Rogue at Walmart & using that as my main phone for calls, texts, and GPS driving, then retiring this one into a portable game device & media player.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I'm at my wit's end. Thinking of just picking up the $20 Coolpad Rogue at Walmart & using that as my main phone for calls, texts, and GPS driving, then retiring this one into a portable game device & media player.

I don't know your financial situation or usage scenario, but I would strongly advise against getting a smartphone just because it's cheap. There's lately been a revolution of sorts in the category of great unlocked affordable phones. We can help you pick a suitable replacement if you'll tell us your needs and budget. :)

Reactions: svim and tube517
Upvote 0
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

My budget is "as cheap as possible." I just got the Droid Maxx around August of last year, and aside from this texting issue the last month or so (I've also started periodically losing my 4G as well), I'm still happy enough with what I've got.

As far as my needs, I've loved my T-Mobile service and deal since starting it last year, so I'd like a phone that's designed specifically for T-Mobile. Calling, texting, GPS, and an Android OS are all I feel I absolutely need. I'm not doing PowerPoint presentations or video editing with my phone, so it really doesn't need to be top of the line.

Is there anything specific about Coolpad Rogue that users here have actually experienced?

Upvote 0
Is there anything specific about Coolpad Rogue that users here have actually experienced?

I don't have any personal experience with the Coolpad Rogue, but I did spend two LONG months with the slightly-better-spec'd Huawei Union. The Union has twice the processor cores and twice the onboard storage, but the same 1GB of RAM. That lack of RAM (among other things) made for a truly frustrating experience. And I wasn't doing any gaming or anything exciting like that. Go to switch between two applications (say, a web browser and a text client) often resulted in the backgrounded app being terminated almost immediately. Even music playing in the background frequently stuttered or got terminated. Granted, EMUI kind of sucks at memory management to begin with, but the experience convinced me that 1GB of RAM just isn't enough anymore.

So if you're doing STRICTLY calls and texts, it would probably be fine... Navigation apps tend to be a bit heavy and sluggish on a GOOD device. Anything else (apps, games, web browsing, email, etc) might get to be frustrating.

Upvote 0
That phone may be fine - again, I don't have any personal experience, and the only 1GB device I can compare it to was pretty disappointing. For $20, it may be worth a shot.

You may want to try posting a thread with your requirements in the Device/Carrier Comparisons subforum. You'll hopefully get a few more responses there.

You could also browse the existing threads there for useful suggestions. This one might be a good starting point:
Best Android for around or less than $100?

This also might be useful: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-android-phone/

Reactions: ChaunceyK
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones