1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Songbird with foldersync-- is it really this inconvenient?

Last Updated:

1. jwdink

jwdink Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on a mac. I was using itunes with doubletwist for a while, but certain people on here made it sound like songbird was THE best option for syncing my phone (htc droid eris). (I also was using an album art replacer on my phone, which seemed to be causing doubletwist some confusion-- instead of recognizing that it already had uploaded the files w/different artwork, it thought they were new files, and would just make duplicates.)

as far as I can tell, however, it look like you have to completely replace any folder you decide to sync, every time you decide to sync it? so even if i've changed one song on a playlist, it will delete all the songs on my droid and then put them back on, every time i sync? considering how slowly files are uploaded to the microSD, this seems incredibly inconvenient.

I also had trouble with foldersync getting stuck on a particular percentage almost every time it synced, and in general, with songbird being sometimes (often) laggy.

any tips here?

Advertisement
  2. jwdink

jwdink Active Member This Topic's Starter

bump.

3. PaperCutPro

PaperCutPro New Member

Hey jwdink,

I'm in the same spot you are with syncing my music. I've tried iSyncr for Mac with the iSyncr WiFi Add-On, Easy Phone Tunes and am now on doubleTwist.

First, with iSyncer I figure I'd go all out with the WiFi, it's slow, it stalls out, like you were saying, I'd get to a certain percentage and it would hang. It sucked. No time savings or convenience there. So I thought I'd take a step back and lose the WiFi until I found something that works good and then add the WiFi later if I felt I needed it. (I never needed it with my iPod). So I tried Easy Phone Tunes for 2 seconds and I could tell right off it wasn't going to be "the one." So now I'm on doubleTwist, no WiFi. I was pretty excited at first, it seemed like it was holding its own. I set up a sync with 3 playlists and about 900 tunes and it seemed to go pretty smooth.

But then I removed some songs and added some songs, plugged my Droid into my Mac and assumed a sync would happen. The next day I got in the car plugged into the stereo... no songs at all on my phone. Even the playlists that didn't change were empty. Plus, every time you lanch the desktop client it re-reads the whole library and I have a LOT of tunes.

So now, I don't really have a lot of time to **** around with my music. I need it. Can't do without it. But I'm thinking it might be easier to go back to my method from my blackberry days and just grab a bunch of folders from my music collection and drag them to the Music folder on my Android.

And until the day comes when I can plug in my Droid, have it sync in a few minutes and not have to worry, wait, or f*** around. That will be good enough and better than any app out there at the moment.

I do have a copy of songbird on my Mac. How is that going? Bad? What's the procedure?

If anyone out there on a Mac has found the perfect syncing app for itunes please let us know. Or share your tales of the sweet FA here.

pcp

4. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member

I'm also a Mac user in a similar situation. I switched from an iPhone 3G where it was easy peasy to sync iTunes. When I got my SGS2 a month ago, I started off by manually drag n dropping my files, but would prefer a better desktop integration for syncing than doing this. So i opted for Doubletwist, as it seems everyone uses it to mirror their iTunes library. It seems to be OK, but the desktop app is kinda slow when synging itself with iTunes and sometimes just freezes up on me for ages. I have to say though, that when syncing with my SGS2 it works fine and doesn't take too long (no longer than iTunes anyway).

I might give Songbird a go, despite the OP's problems as it seems the next best thing. My biggest gripe is not being able to correctly tag files and having to go through 3rd party apps on the phone or Mac to sort this, which was a problem I never had with iTunes as I could just edit within iTunes and it solved the problem.