• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sonic CD

Reactions: romshark
Upvote 0
The SD files do download, they just take a long while to begin downloading, so it looks like the phone isn't doing anything for a period of time. Once it starts, it still takes a while.

Port is really great btw. For those who don't know, it was built on a new engine created by a very talented fan game maker named Taxman (Christian Whitehead). His engine is very advanced and customizable, and the game was rebuilt with loving care to detail. Now supports widescreen natively without any of the visuals having been cropped or whatnot. It also includes both the original Japanese soundtrack as well as the different US soundtrack, whichever you prefer. It basically has everything, you can now even play as Tails as unlockable.

For those who have never played this- it's generally considered a contender for best Sonic game ever. It was originally released on the short lived Sega CD- an expansion you could hook into the Sega Genesis during the 90s. It was ported to different systems several times, but the version currently being released for all the different gaming platforms this week is the definitive version. This includes this Android version (though it's also on iOS, PC, Xbox 360, and PS3). If you're interested in this series at all, try it out. The touch controls are incredibly responsive too. Nothing complex either, just a dpad and one button (as well as a pause button).

Upvote 0
Bit the bullet and got it. Had to manually install the files, but after that I must say it does work really well, and it controls great - better then the sonic games do on gensoid. If you're a sonic fan at all and aren't planning to get one of the other versions, its well worth the 2$.

Only minor bug I've seen is that sometimes when there's a sound effect the music will fade out and then fade back in. I never played the original though (never got a sega cd, which in retrospect was probably good, given the lack of games...), so I don't know if that's a flaw inherant to the game or not.

Upvote 0
2 things

I get no sound at all on my evo3d

How do you do the charge spin??

Down + A to charge spin. Some devices seem to like tapping A to spin. Some devices with wonky multi-touch would work better with holding down and then holding A.

Also for those of you having issues with the download, use the links in this thread to manually download and transfer over to your device. I'll put the game on my Evo 3D later to see if I can get sound to work.

Upvote 0
So, I just installed it onto my Evo 3D. Sound works fine, but I downloaded the extra download via a computer from the provided link and installed the /files directory provided in the /sdcard/Android/data/com.sega.soniccd/ directory. When you extract the RAR file, it creates a lot of com.sega.soniccd folders, you just need it to be in one.

I think those of you that are having sound issues have a corrupt download.

Oh, and the charged spin can be difficult if your device doesn't handle multi-touch too well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones