Sony NSZ-GT1 plays movie files at the wrong aspect ratio.

Last Updated:

1. mfruckus

mfruckus Member This Topic's Starter

So when I try to play a movie that is intended to play at 16:9 in the Media Player app, it seems to play it at 4:3. This happens with several different files streaming with dlna using Eyeconnect and through a usb SD card reader. Files play fine on computer. Black bars are at the top and bottom, but when I play them on the TV through the Media Player, it puts the bars on the sides and squishes the picture.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong or is this just a bug? Is anyone else having this issue with any other Google TV product?

Advertisement
  2. ceeya

ceeya Active Member

are these blu-ray movies, dvd player or downloaded media? for one you can change your aspect ratio on your tv to match the movie. you can also set the ratio in setup for the blu-ray player.....hope this helps...

3. mfruckus

These are mp4s. Have messed with aspect ratio setting on both the tv, Bluray player and in the media player app. Files are still playing squished. DVDs and Blurays play the way they should. Files also play as they should on the computer. This only happens when I try to play a file from my computer useing the media player app either with dlna or a usb SD card reader plugged directly into the Bluray player.

4. mfruckus

I finally received my HD Receiver to day and this problem also seems to happen when watching live TV as well. I can unplug my receiver from the Bluray player and plug it directly into my tv and it works perfect.

I called Sony's support line today and tried to find a fix. Their conclusion was that it was doing this because I wasn't using a Dish Network DVR. Well the DVR has nothing to do with computer files in the wrong aspect ratio.

Who here is using a non-dish reciever? Is everything working properly?

They actually wanted me to have a separate connection to my tv. One for the Bluray and then one for the receiver instead of having my receiver connected to the Bluray and into the tv. WTF would be the purpose of having this product if I can't integrate it with the tv functions? I could have spent a lot less money on just a Bluray player. I think I will be returning it this weekend if I can't find a fix for this.

5. majortom1981

majortom1981 Member

I have an 8300 dvr hd receiver connected to mine. netflix plays the way it should. Tv is full screen and so is blu-ray.

I havent tried to play any streamed movie files yet.

Keep in mind a lot of movies arent formatted for a tv and will have bars on the top and bottom.

6. ceeya

ceeya Active Member

mrfrukus, i have the same problem. i couldnt get my external to take and finally formatted it with fat32. when i played my mp4 it came out squished...need a fix for this....but still love this machine...joe

p.s. i have an 8300 dvr.

7. mfruckus

But the movies I am trying to play are 16:9. The problem is that it's playing them at 4:3 making the image squished ( circles O become ovals 0 )

8. sergv

sergv New Member

I have a similar problem with Live TV. I have following set up: Tivo to NSZ-GT1 to Sony reciever to TV. Whenever I am watching live TV, the screen is squished on the sides & I get 2 bars on each side. Everything else I watch via google tv looks good - the web, you tube, fox, etc...Strange & I don't know how to fix it. Please advise.

9. PastorOfMuppets

PastorOfMuppets Member

There is another thread here with a similar problem relating to the live tv part of your issue and the resolution was to unplug their comcast dvr for several minutes and then plug it back in.

http://androidforums.com/google-tv/204847-sony-google-tv-live-tv-issue.html

mfruckus, is your name a Wu reference? I've been reading it as M. Fruckus until just a few seconds ago when bring da ruckus jumped into my head...lol.