• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sony Xperia Z - Is 'Lollipop' Going to Bug My Phone + Tablet?

twazzo_1

Jun 22, 2015
GB
Hi there

I have seen a YouTube video with 'Lollipop' update installed on Sony Xperia Z phone. User said, there are camera and other application lags, after install

Anyone out there, can pass on any positive hands on Sony Xperia Z/Lollipop experience (pro's & cons)

I also have the Sony Xperia Z tablet and don't want to end up regretting, updating the two devices

Thanks for any info

The camera does take a few seconds to open for the first time, and the newer camera apps can also be sluggish to load, but other than that I've noticed no lag or stutter. If anything my Z is smoother in use with 5.0.2 than it was with 4.4.4.

Thanks for the reply

The phone seemed to be running OK on the YouTube vid. and I don't think I will be doing any action shots with the phone camera any time soon, so a bit of lag won't kill me!

Upvote 0
I don't think I will be doing any action shots with the phone camera any time soon, so a bit of lag won't kill me!

Tbh, once it's running the camera is responsive enough, and the update has definitely improved the quality of the images it produces.

As far as the overall performance goes, I've just upgraded to the Z3+ and in normal use the Z is just as smooth and fluid. Scrolling, transition animations, and all other elements are lag-free.

Upvote 0
Tbh, once it's running the camera is responsive enough, and the update has definitely improved the quality of the images it produces.

As far as the overall performance goes, I've just upgraded to the Z3+ and in normal use the Z is just as smooth and fluid. Scrolling, transition animations, and all other elements are lag-free.
Gr8. I am going to take the plunge and update my phone first, then tablet

Will let you know, how things go

Upvote 0
Hi Slug

HELP!

I have now got (what appear to be) over sized and extremely unattractive icons on my home & app screens, after update

I knew the icons were slightly larger but things just don't look right!

Did you encounter the same issue? Any fix idea's? The phone looks a bit cheap at the mo and there's no way to scale the icons, that I can find

Attached a 'screenshot' below but this is deceptive, as the digi clock looks smaller than the icons, in the flesh

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-24-15-33-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-24-15-33-45.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
I have now got (what appear to be) over sized and extremely unattractive icons on my home & app screens, after update

That, unfortunately, is the stock Xperia Home sizing. I agree they appears disproportionately large, but there's no way to change that without rooting the handset.

An easier solution, and one that offers many other benefits, is to install an alternative launcher. I recommend Nova Launcher, which does allow resizing of icons and/or fonts.

Upvote 0
That, unfortunately, is the stock Xperia Home sizing. I agree they appears disproportionately large, but there's no way to change that without rooting the handset.

An easier solution, and one that offers many other benefits, is to install an alternative launcher. I recommend Nova Launcher, which does allow resizing of icons and/or fonts.

Thank goodness for 'Nova'

Did the trick, a treat. App icons the size they should be. No noticeable slow down

Cheers

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones