Sony Z1 upgradeSupport

1. OnedayUJ

OnedayUJ Member

Dear All,

I would like to ask you a few straightforward questions.

Due to my Samsung Galaxy S2 driving me crazy with it's terrible battery life, I have decided it's time for an upgrade.

On first inspection it seems like the Z1 is a really good phone and I really fancy it based on looks, waterproofing and expandable storage.

However, due to all web reviews providing differing opinions, I thought it would be wise to ask real users of the Z1 what their opinion is and if they would recommend the phone.

Would someone be so kind to provide me with a general idea about what kind of battery life one can expect under the following conditions:

3/4G switched on during office hours. Wifi in evening.
    some syncing. ( i am aware of Stamina mode, might help)
    1-2h of Spotify music listening (saved songs, no streaming).
    some emailing. 4-5 mails typed.
    Whatsapp/hangouts chatting. On and off.
    Bluetooth, GPS off.
    Light photography (5 photos/day).

How reliable is the camera in general usage?

Is the screen really so horrible in terms of viewing angles that it would make reading on the phone a miserable task?

I don't buy phones very often, and therefore wants something that will last me at least another 2 years.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

In case I have posted the thread in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

Thanks again.

Advertisement
  2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

How about another Samsung device maybe the s5 . it has same or similar thing your seeking in a device.
  3. OnedayUJ

OnedayUJ Member

Hi! I did have a look at it, and it doesn't "move" me. Mostly due to it being excessively overpriced in Poland and the fact that it doesn't offer much more than an old S4.

Perhaps I am just keen to spice things up a bit. :)
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Camera reliability has taken a bit of a hit since the Kit Kat upgrade, but it's only affecting some users. Generally though, I think it's pretty good.

I reckon you'll easily get a days usage out of what you've described. I'm connected to 3g at work and I generally make it through a 13 hour shift with similar usage no problem.

As I mentioned above, the Kit Kat update had been pretty buggy, but otherwise, it's a great device. :)
  5. alanbingham27

alanbingham27 Well-Known Member

Ever since my 4.4 update the camera is a total NIGHTMARE. If I press the camera icon it opens the camera to a black screen for like 10 seconds, it will either force close and or say camera not responding. Or, if it manages to open the camera immediately, I take a photo it says camera not responding and closes and I loose the photo. It doesn't happen all the time but it is becoming more frequent within the last week or so. It is so disappointing and extremely annoying. Does anyone know if Sony are bringing out an update to sort this?

Apart from that, great phone.
  6. keith1210mk2

keith1210mk2 Active Member

I
    New bug fix has just been released in China. Firmware build is 761.

No idea whether it fixes my poor Z1.

😔
  7. OnedayUJ

OnedayUJ Member

Thanks for everyone that responded!!

It really seems like Sony rushed the KitKat update a bit too much to this device.

Got a feeling I might have to postpone my purchase a bit until Sony has issued a proper fix. Or just hang on with JellyBean a bit longer.

Or just get a different phone as BRAINZ2013 mentioned...LG G2 ....mmm
  8. marc1977

marc1977 Well-Known Member

I'd stick with your initial idea, go for the Z1. Like you said, you can stick with 4.3 but I've had none of the mentioned issues with 4.4. Odd I know, but it does seem to affect randomly.

I agree with you about the S5, still too plasticky for my liking. Have you considered waiting for the Z2?
  9. OnedayUJ

OnedayUJ Member

The z2 was released a week or so ago here. Gorgeous phone but doesn't offer much more than the z1. Sure screen is a bit nicer and the bezels thinner, but in general the same. Oh and 4k video...pointless on a 16gb model and rather silly as most of us only have fhd tv's.

With regard to Kitkat...http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/551563/20140507/android-kitkat-update-sony-xperiaz-zl-tabletz.htm

Perhaps this filters down to z1 as well.
  10. fredhenk

fredhenk New Member

I have the Z1. Love it. The battery lasts 2 days or more. The stamina mode REALLY works. At the end of the day I'm only down to about 83%. That's with a couple dozen texts, news alerts & checking e mail in box. I also have Accupedo pedometer running constantly since I'm a walker. I can be at 100 percent at night before going to bed & be at 97 % in the morning without any use. (turned on & not plugged in)
  11. OnedayUJ

OnedayUJ Member

@Fredhenk, that sounds almost too good to be true. :)

Do you have 3/4g connected all the time?

To be honest, its almost easier to buy a car lately than a phone :)

Thanks for all the responses!

Z2 looks pretty nice, and have to admit the screen is markedly better. Sigh!