Soo...What's Multi-touch like?Support

Last Updated:

1. Jef

Jef Active Member

The Milestone was supposed to have it in the browser and maps, unlike our US Droids. How well does it work?

Jef

Advertisement
  2. Scott

Scott Active Member

There are two apps that I know of that support multi-touch in the market today:

1) PhoneMyPC -- PC Control app. Multi-touch works on all Android devices.
    2) PicSay -- Photo editor. Multi-touch works only on the Droid (2.0 devices).
  3. CookieMomster

CookieMomster Well-Known Member

Really? I thought the droid did not support multi touch at all.
  4. celios

celios Well-Known Member

Apparently multi touch is in the Droid API. They have (for some unknown reason) chosen to not implement it in the built in apps, but it is perfectly fine (and fairly easy) for any 3rd party apps to use it.

The best hope for for existing Droid owners would be that Fennec - mobile Firefox - implements multi-touch in their Android release.
  5. nasarius

nasarius Member

Well, you need a few things:
    1) Multi-touch screen (hardware).
    2) Support in the OS / drivers.
    3) Access to the input data via APIs.
    4) Application support for the feature.

My understanding is that the Milestone and Droid have #1, and Android 2.0 fulfills #2-3. The only thing that's lacking is app support. The Google Maps app definitely doesn't have it.

I can confirm that PicSay supports pinch zooming on the Milestone. Neat.
  6. nasarius

nasarius Member

Oops...screw PicSay, I somehow missed the fact that the built-in Media Gallery app also does pinch zooming. So there you go.
  7. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

The Dolphin browser supports multi-touch on the Moto Droid
  8. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I think the OP was asking how multi touch was on the built in apps, since the Milestone has that and the Droid does not...
  9. Afront

Afront Well-Known Member

The multitouch works brilliantly in the Android browser and Media gallery. It is not enabled in Google Maps though.
  10. Jef

Jef Active Member

Thanks AFront!

Yes, I was curious how MT is enhanced overall on the Milestone as compared to the Droid. I have MT via Picsay, but where I really want it is in the Browser/Gallery/Maps.
  11. celios

celios Well-Known Member

Well, my Milestone arrived on Friday and I'm loving it so far.

The multi touch in the browser is great - very handy for zooming and I find it much easier than the double tap to zoom.

I can't find any trace of multi touch in Google Maps though...