Soon to be Galaxy Nexus ownerGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Hey there, I just ordered a GNex and am hoping to have it arrive tomorrow. I'm just wondering about the battery life, though, because although the general outlook is quite grim, I get a lot of mixed ideas here.

Sometimes, I wake up in the morning and am too lazy to get up, so I just grab my phone and browse the web for a few hours (5, tops) on my Wi-Fi connection (so there would be no 3G signal hunting). Would the Nexus be able to do that, or would it be dead before that time?

Also, I'm a cyclist, and occasionally I go places where I need to have Google Navigator on (and so, GPS & 3G) for the entirety of the journey so that I don't get lost and so that it can talk directions at me. The journey might last anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes, and sometimes, I'll need it to be able to take me home on the same charge. Could it survive that?

This is all referring to the standard battery, by the way, although I've heard that the extended battery doesn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
  2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

Battery is truly variable to each user. It should be able to handle what you're asking but it will depend on what else is running on your phone at the same time.
    Kookas likes this.
  3. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get this phone. I also have some other questions...

Does MHL work with any display with HDMI input? Also, I see people using gamepads to play games on top of all this, with their Nexus effectively acting as a kind of home console. How would that work? Bluetooth?
  4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I've heard of some folks having issues with MHL. Haven't tested it myself though (there's a thread floating around with some trouble shooting).
    As to using gamepads (Wii remotes, PS3/Xbox remotes), yep, it'll use Bluetooth.
  5. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

The key to battery life is turning off things you don't need. I have a whole writeup on battery life in my signature so I am not going to re-write it, but in summary....

Google defaults the Nexus to sync 85 million things. You don't really need to sync them all, all the time. Turn off sync's you don't need. ie. if you aren't updating your music collection in the cloud every day, why do you need your phone checking it multiple times a day?

Turn down screen brightness as much as possible.

GPS is a big battery hog. If you keep the screen off while using it, you should be OK.
  6. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

The GN is below average in battery life for Android phones but you can still get a full day out of it with some tweaking.
  7. jmj3783

jmj3783 Well-Known Member

Aokp rom, franco kernel. I get consistent 16 hours battery with normal use. Heavy browsing usually 12 hours