• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soon to be Galaxy Nexus owner

Kookas

Jan 11, 2012
Birmingham, England
Hey there, I just ordered a GNex and am hoping to have it arrive tomorrow. I'm just wondering about the battery life, though, because although the general outlook is quite grim, I get a lot of mixed ideas here.

Sometimes, I wake up in the morning and am too lazy to get up, so I just grab my phone and browse the web for a few hours (5, tops) on my Wi-Fi connection (so there would be no 3G signal hunting). Would the Nexus be able to do that, or would it be dead before that time?

Also, I'm a cyclist, and occasionally I go places where I need to have Google Navigator on (and so, GPS & 3G) for the entirety of the journey so that I don't get lost and so that it can talk directions at me. The journey might last anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes, and sometimes, I'll need it to be able to take me home on the same charge. Could it survive that?

This is all referring to the standard battery, by the way, although I've heard that the extended battery doesn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get this phone. I also have some other questions...

Does MHL work with any display with HDMI input? Also, I see people using gamepads to play games on top of all this, with their Nexus effectively acting as a kind of home console. How would that work? Bluetooth?

I've heard of some folks having issues with MHL. Haven't tested it myself though (there's a thread floating around with some trouble shooting).
As to using gamepads (Wii remotes, PS3/Xbox remotes), yep, it'll use Bluetooth.

Upvote 0
The key to battery life is turning off things you don't need. I have a whole writeup on battery life in my signature so I am not going to re-write it, but in summary....

Google defaults the Nexus to sync 85 million things. You don't really need to sync them all, all the time. Turn off sync's you don't need. ie. if you aren't updating your music collection in the cloud every day, why do you need your phone checking it multiple times a day?

Turn down screen brightness as much as possible.

GPS is a big battery hog. If you keep the screen off while using it, you should be OK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones